Brian425

First Hop and Pop coming up.

I have my first hop and pop coming up this weekend. I'm just wondering what to expect. It may sound weird; but, I like to have more altitude. My exits are not great. I'm about 50/50 on getting stable right away.

I'm a little concerned about getting stable quick enough. My coach told me not to worry, I'll be fine.

Is there anything special I should be aware of? Of course I will discuss this with my coach this weekend; but, I want a little advice of what to expect.

And of course I'll buy beer. That much I have learned.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I think the best advice I can give you is relax and concentrate on your body position. 6 out of my 23 jumps have been hop and pops and i think the most important thing is to get in the right position right out of the door. I dont know what kind of exit you are doing but hit that position on exit and you should be fine. That is my advice, take it for what its worth (only 23 jump mind you). Relax and have fun.

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

CONGRATULATIONS!! You're almost there. For me, i was MOST nervous about the hop and pop jump. It definitly made me most nervous, but there's nothing to be nervous about. Just jump, and arch, pull 5 seconds, and no problem. :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Unless you're screwing the DZOs wife, you'll be just fine. ;)

My first hop and pop was from 4500 and I manged to leave unstable, flip onto my back, get stable again, and have an open parachute at a little under 4,000 ft. It's easy, really.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

oh ya, also, they wouldn't let you do a hop and pop if they didn't think you were ready for it. B|

don't worry you've got lots of time.at least thats what they told me,it is true.the plane ride is so short you don't have time to think or worry about it.i was scared as hell jumping from where i would normaly have already pulled but when it was over i think it was the most fun i had had on a jump,it was also my first solo.with the rainy cold low cloud weather we've been having here i'm getting good at hop n pops.

Just remember you have plenty of time to get stable. How high you jumping from the first time? I think they usually do the first hop n' pop from 5000 or 5500. If you go unstable, you have a good 15 seconds to play with if you have to. Even from 3000 you have plenty of time.

Expect to be nervous. It's the scariest jump since your first (or at least it seems like it will be). Once you're out the door, there's nothing to it. Step out, watch the plane fly away, pull. Don't rush it. Take your time. I mean the idea isnt to freefall for 10 seconds, but you don't want to pull unstable either.

Dave

My coach told me not to worry. She says that the exit is the same and I will have no problem getting stable.

The big upside is that I will be able to jump on days when we cannot get full altitude for my last coach jumps.

I guess since it's new I have some concerns. I have faith in my coaches that they would not put me in a dangerous spot.

It's just another way to get me closer to my A. I'll be back this weekend for two days. Lets hope the weather holds.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Bubbles,
I hear you got your 100th jump this weekend. Congrats!!! I was at Cavu for a little while; but, I went for sleep because I didn't want to be hung over for Subday.

I have 49 jumps and no hop-n-pops. I feel cheated and am dying to do one. Hopefully this winter.

Like you I feel a little nervous. Wondering if they try to get everybody out faster because they are lower and have less time for a good spot. (thinking of the imaginary inverted cone you need to stay in or you will land out) I want to do a poised exit as opposed to diving out which still causes me to tumble sometimes.
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth

I think that my first hop n pop was the only jump that I was a little queasy on. I have done a few since then, and they are great to work on landing because they are cheap :ph34r:
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Bubbles,
I hear you got your 100th jump this weekend. Congrats!!! I was at Cavu for a little while; but, I went for sleep because I didn't want to be hung over for Subday.

Thanks a bunch. It was an interesting 100th jump. I did a naked cross country jump. I still owe beer for that too, but since it was the halloweend party that evening, I opted not to buy the caseS i owe. Was leaving Cavu the right move? Meaning: did you manage to get some jumps in sunday? :)). You're so close. Are you packing your own canopy yet? If not, you have nothing to worry about for your hop n pop, and if you are....

just remember the cutaway procedures.;) Just kidding, you'll be fine. :)

I have 49 jumps and no hop-n-pops.

i am curious as to how you have your A license then, seeing as it is a requirement for getting it.....if you really want to do one, just ask the pilot to make a pass at 5k on your next ride to altitude and jump out...voila, hop'n'pop!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

how you have your A license then

I went through the old 7 level AFF program that did not require a hop n pop. Also at the time there was no A-license requirement for one. Had a 2 year layoff and am back jumping now.

I see other major changes. The people studying for an A at AerOhio actually do a sit fly. I wish I went through such a program, but I guess mine was better than one from say 10 years ago.B|
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth