lkolkin

Why did you start skydiving/ BASE jumping?

Question: Why did you start skydiving or BASE jumping??

My s.o. and I were talking last night about why we started skydiving (and in his case BASE jumping) and our answers were so very different. So now we're wondering who is more of the freak.

His reason: he started skydiving b/c he had always dreamed of flying since he was a little boy. He started BASE jumping b/c he loved the feeling of picking up speed - that initial step off the edge.

My reason for STARTING to skydive (and what appeals to me about BASE jumping): the risk. Now I did my research and was convinced I wasn't paying Russian Roulette, but I enjoyed the risk aspect of the sport. I mean - how absurd (i.e., how cool) to jump out of an airplane. For me, the adrenaline (when I started) came from the risk. I want to BASE jump for the visual aspect of it, but definitely for the risk as well. The risk is what will get me high.

He feels that he has always done both despite the risk, not because of it.

So who is more of a freak??

I started probably for the same reason I thought I could fly a 2x4 and plywood "plane" off my roof when I was 7. ( never forget that sort of pain! ) or why BMX and skateboards and cliff diving always appeled to me. The feeling of "flying" "falling" has always been and will always be intriguing. Landings with a parachute hurt a lot less then the other attempts by the way!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

After flying inside of airplanes for years I wanted to see what they look like on the outside......flying away from me......and I was hooked. Fast forward 13 years and almost 5000 jumps, I check DZ.com everyday and jump almost daily except for non training days. Nuts.

My s.o. and I were talking last night ..... So now we're wondering who is more of the freak.

After knowing you both, I'd have to say that your significant other is certainly more of a freak. He just hides it better.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I had been working at a bunjee jump park for a while and met a lot of adrenaline junkies there... alot of them told me that I should try jumping. My boss then started jumping and talked to me his whole way through AFF and up to 100 jumps. Watching video of him freeflying with some other guys I had met at the park was too much! It wasn't until I saw what you could actually do that I wanted it real bad. I frinished AFF 6 weeks and six jumps later;)

Chaps
Carpe diem

I started skydiving because I wanted to learn BASE.

I wanted to learn BASE because I have always had this instinctive urge to fling myself over the edge and into the open air whenever I stood near the edge of a cliff, building, or bridge, or whatever….

I preferred the idea of finding out what going with the urge felt like as opposed to always controlling it.
(I have since done this and I’m happy I have made the right decision for me.)

I have some urges I can control, some that indulging in poses no significant risk and yet others that require some form of preparation if I rationally choose to do them, or in case I cannot control my urges to do the irrational and do them anyway…

So, who is more of a freak?

I would have to side with your s.o. and say you, as I do what I do despite the risks, not because of them.

At least that’s what I like to believe, that I would do these things even if there was no risk and I would get just as much out of them.
I’m pretty sure that’s the case for me, but is there any way to really know?

Does it even matter why we started?
Maybe it only matters what we do now and in the future?

And lastly, I cannot resist the urge to paraphrase this, as maybe some folks out there feel like this:

“Ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to do and maybe die.”

soon to be gone

I started because i felt there was something missing from my life. Now I realize there is a lot more missing, like $$$ and time, and miles on my car LOL. But ill never give this up, if it comes to the po int that i cant jump on my own ill do tandems.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Everyone has those dreams as a kid of just spreading your arms and flying... B|

I watched "Ripcord" on TV and knew
I had to know what those guys knew! :)
As far as BASE jumping...
Lost a bet!!! [:/]

this sounds like my thoughts exactly! apart from the loosing a bet... i never bet unless i know im gonna win ;)

I remember being 6 years old on a windy day coming out of gymnastic class, and we were all trying to spread our arms out and flying (before you start laughing, i was 6, of course i was going to try to fly in the wind). I guess that was the basis for my wanting to fly, but it wasn't til years later, when i was on a caving trip (yes i'm a caver too), when someone mentioned they did their first jump, that i decided i wanted to skydive. I knew i would get my license right away, but I didn't know how much of an incredibly awesome sport, it really was, until I got up in the air and jumped. Finally, being able to fly through the sky, this is definitly the one thing i have always needed in my life. :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Everyone has those dreams as a kid of just spreading your arms and flying... B|

I watched "Ripcord" on TV and knew
I had to know what those guys knew! :)
As far as BASE jumping...
Lost a bet!!! [:/]

this sounds like my thoughts exactly! apart from the loosing a bet... i never bet unless i know im gonna win ;)

!/2 way down the page...
The story of my FIRST base jump...:S

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=270299;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have wanted to fly since I could walk. Riding a bike was just flying in my mind. I really wanted to be a fighter pilot. But since I had bad eyesight I could not fly for the military.>:( So . . I figured if I cannot fly then I might as well jump!.:S SOooooo I joined the Marines and did a zillion static lines and then got my discharge in 1991 for the past twelve years I have been dreaming of skydiving but did not have the money to do it until this year. And now I really fly!!!!!!!!!!!!B|

Of course right now I fly like a brick but hey whose gonna know!:P

I started skydiving because my dad bought me an airplane you'd shoot up in the air and it would come gliding down when I was four and I've been fascinated by flying ever since..because of all the kites and model gliders and rockets I've owned since and watched with joy and slight envy as they flew above...because of all the umbrellas I broke jumping off porches...because I watched PointBreak in fifth grade and knew I had to try how flying your body around for five minutes felt like:P...and of course, because I got a hefty sum of money from a minor car crash two years ago and found the perfect way to spend it.

Now BASE jumping- I will start that someday when it feels right because of the surreal feeling of doing something completely unnatural to human beings I only learned to appreciate after seeing the airplane above me for the first time...because of the rush I get from pulling low...because of that infinite moment between pitching the pc and feeling the first tug of the opening canopy when I, even with a reserve on my back, feel suspended on the very edge of life...and because I felt something pulling me down while watching my first "live" base jump and realized my childhood fear of heights was perhaps not the fear of falling, but rather the fear of losing control and just leaping off.

DAMN, I didn't realize that I was such a freak for enjoying the risk so much. So when you're standing on the edge (of whatever), or you are up in the plane for your first jump and your heart is beating out of your chest, that isn't what gets you pumped about the sport? Isn't the rush the unknown aspect of the whole thing (i.e., the risk)?

I have a hard time understanding that a whuffo would see skydiving as a means to learning how to fly. Of course I see it that way now, and that is what keeps all of us going I think, but the original draw to the sport isn't the rush? Hmm, I have to ponder this one.

So when you're standing on the edge (of whatever), or you are up in the plane for your first jump and your heart is beating out of your chest,that isn't what gets you pumped about the sport?

If that didn't happen while standing on the edge, I'd probably quit and find something that made that happen.

When I first knew what a parachute was, I knew some day I'd jump from a plane. I dreamt of flying as a kid, and as an adult for that matter. In other sports, I've always tried to catch as much air as possible. Bicycles, skiing, skateboarding, roller skating, ... any thing to get airborne. Then skydiving entered my life....
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

So Timmy, if you enjoy the feeling of having your heart pump heavily from your chest, doesn't that come from the risk of the sport? Isn't that what causes that feeling? Isn't that what is so damn enjoyable about it? Sure, flying is what has made us continue, but why did we make that first jump?

I never thought I would be a skydiver. If people asked me, I said I might do a tandem "someday" just to see what it was like... and that's what I did. I truly thought I would only do it once. When I got into the sky and it felt like flying, not falling, I was hooked. Got down on the ground and couldn't stop saying "when are we going again!! when are we going again!!"

And to me, the risk is only a calculated risk, and definitely not what draws me to the sport.