aneblett

Ok so now I am a <300 Jump Wonder So When does it end?

After reading the term "300 jump wonder" used in a thread yesterday one of the posters there asked the question: when does it end? I was curious what everyone thought on the subject.

Interestingly enough, on the same day, I was referred to as a "<300 jump wonder" by a poster that can't seem to get enough personal attacks in (they have since spared the forum and they now send them to me privately[:/])

cheers,

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

If you are doing something stupid (in someone's eyes), then it's entirely possible that you will never escape it. I have used the term "1000 jump wonder" to describe a particularly stupid young skydiver before. I can do that because I have nearly four times that experience. Silly? Maybe.

Chuck

I think the "jump wonder" term has more to do with attitude than with actual jump numbers. In many cases, people with X number of jumps become overly confident in their skydiving abilities, and begin to start doing things they maybe shouldn't be doing (downsizing, hooking, etc.) When instructors, who have far more experience and wisdom in the area, try to tell them otherwise, they are rebuffed as "just trying to spoil my fun." The jumper continues to do what they think they are capable of doing, and in many cases ending up hurt or dead.

Matt
-----

You forgot the option of

"Anytime you do something or say something stupid you will be a XXXXX-jump wonder"

You have one close to that , but it is a slam on the guy that calls you that.

To some folks I'm a 3,000 jump wonder.

And Matt hit it right on the money.

I think the "jump wonder" term has more to do with attitude than with actual jump numbers. In many cases, people with X number of jumps become overly confident in their skydiving abilities, and begin to start doing things they maybe shouldn't be doing (downsizing, hooking, etc.) When instructors, who have far more experience and wisdom in the area, try to tell them otherwise, they are rebuffed as "just trying to spoil my fun." The jumper continues to do what they think they are capable of doing, and in many cases ending up hurt or dead.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"Anytime you do something or say something stupid you will be a XXXXX-jump wonder"

Good point! I should have included that one! Although that being said I don't think that I would have the stones to call someone with more jumps than me a "Jump Wonder" and there are a few of them at my small DZ.

If you are doing something stupid (in someone's eyes), then it's entirely possible that you will never escape it

The title doesn't really bother me as I don't believe I am one. I have coaches and instructors at my DZ that watch over me and DO tell me when I start to have crazy ideas. I wrote this post mainly cause I think the term gets tossed around lots on this site and all you have to do is post something that someone with more jump numbers than you doesn't agree with and you become a jump wonder!

We should almost have a jump wonder Icon so we wouldn't have to type it :P

It's not only jump numbers. It is also time in sport and how active you've been during that time.

It's been said that less than 10 years in the sport and you are just a tourist. You know, there is some truth to that. I feel like I've given a major part of my life to this sport and then I'm reminded that I've only been in it for 8.5 years. During that time I only have 850 jumps. 100 jumps a year average is fairly steady though.

So, I would judge the comment on the subject AND the jumpers personal background. I would also go on previous posts and posting style whether I give an creedence to the poster. I've seen some very sharp "200 jump wonders" and some scary as shit "1,500 jump wonders". And then again, I've seen the reverse as many times too.

I think time in sport and what you've done with that time plays a major factor into "experience".

It's said in flying airplanes. "Do you have 1,000 hours experience or do you have 1 hour of experience 1,000 times?" Think about it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Good point! I should have included that one! Although that being said I don't think that I would have the stones to call someone with more jumps than me a "Jump Wonder" and there are a few of them at my small DZ.

Well thats cause you would not call them a jump wonder...you would call them a skygod. However skygod is an insult, 300 jump wonder is a description;)

But the simple fact is that a bunch of folks think they have more experience than they do. And when these people act that they are labled as a XXXX-jump wonder.

I don't use it as an insult....I just use it cause its true.

When I landed from my 100th jump. My best friend walked up to me and said "Congrats Ronnie. We still all think you are gonna die. But we now think you will bounce with atleast something out...Now it will not be the right thing, and you will not do it soon enough. But atleast you will hit with something out."

I didn't take that as an insult.....I tell everyone that when they land from their 100th jump.

Simple fact is look around...In 5 years half the people you see will not be there. They will quit or die.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's been said that less than 10 years in the sport and you are just a tourist.

I would not say 10 years...But if you have been jumping less than 3 I expect you to quit anyday. So your kind of a "visitor"

5 years I think you might stick around....You are really a jumper. But still a "tourist"

10 years..Its in your blood.

20....Good god man!!!

30....Holy shit!!!! What was Jesus's 10 second delay really like?

We still all think you are gonna die. But we now think you will bounce with atleast something out...Now it will not be the right thing, and you will not do it soon enough. But atleast you will hit with something out."

:DLMAO:D

I don't use it as an insult....I just use it cause its true......They will quit or die.

Brutally Honest, direct to the point...

Ron, I think you are my kind of people!

well met

Among motorcycle riders, there is an expression "No one ever has two motorcycle wrecks". The meaning is that either the first will kill you or you sell the bike.

When people in skydiving do not respect the sport, the same thing happens. People who fly their canopy beyond their skill level and refuse to accept well-intentioned advice get the "xxx-jump wonder" name. That is because they believe that they have a wondrous amount of skill for their jump numbers.

I'm not a great canopy pilot. I'll be the first to admit it, but I am a very careful one.

300 jump wonder

when does it end?

When you don't pull.

Seriously, don't bother to listen to people with that attitude.

However sometimes people recive that attitude from people, because they won't listen and learn at all.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Ron, you hit the nail on the head so to speak. But, with me it is when you quit walking into a reataurant, bar, etc. and think everyone who doesn't skydive should bow down and worship you because you do. It is when you quit skydiving for all the other people and how it makes you feel and start skydiving for yourself. You also become a much better skydiver and person soon after!

It is when you quit skydiving for all the other people and how it makes you feel and start skydiving for yourself.

Nice.

Ayn Rand called that being a "second-hander". Someone who draws their esteem from the opinions of others. Skydiving is too dangerous to do it just to look good.

Skydiving should be a personal joy.

In 2 jumps i'll be a 1400 jump wonder.

Same situation happens when you have kids.

After the first, they always say..."oh well wait till you have 2 kids"

Then you have a second "oh you don't know anything till you have 3 kids"

Then you have two sets of twins in 12 months and it's commin "oh 6 kids...shit wait till you have an albino monkey throwin poop in your trailer while raising 18 kids on a $250 a month paycheck"

never ends...depends on who you hang with...you 300 jump......

To some folks I'm a 3,000 jump wonder.

Now I know why I should always listen to you Ron - I'm a mere 2600 jump wonder.B|

Next question - should 2600-3000 jump wonders listen to beginners every once in a while?

By doing that (couple of seasons ago) I cut one of the packing checks in half (i.e. we were checking 2 different things at a certain stage during the packing of a student canopy and an extremely smart student with a superior way of envisioning a 3D picture in his mind asked me "Why you do that all the time? If check nr 1 is OK check nr 2 must be OK also!")

I chewed on it for about a week and decided the 20 jump wonder was right! (Ouch...)

May not look like much but saves the one in charge of overseeing the students packing half an hour on a busy day.

So - the only right answer is "Who cares" and if you ever catch me not listening to 1-3000 jump wonders I must have fallen asleep.

Please DO wake me up.:)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...