Skydiver40TN

Starting a DZ any info on any aspect of a new DZ

I am looking into the feasability of starting a new DZ for a friend who just aquired investment capitol and is interested in starting a DZ. Any information on potential start up costs and problems and the profitability potential, or lack of. I know some people to talk to but thought some good info may be found here. Any help, info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Any help, info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

run the dz until your money's all gone........ know how to make a small fortune in Skydiving? Start with a large one!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

You are starting with the primary requirement: a large pile of money.

The second requirement is equipment, fairly easy to lease or purchase if you have friends in the right places, i.e. DZ.com.

The third - and most challenging - requirement is staff. Try working at another DZ for a year or two, acquire coach, IAD, tandem and AFF Instructor ratings. Earn rigger, A&P and commercial pilot licenses. Learn accounting, marketing, plumbing and general carpentry skills, etc. Expect to work 48 hours per day at all those chores.
Hee! Hee!
And they wonder why some DZOs dabble in drugs.
Hee! Hee!

Alternately you could hire a handful of competent people and let them do their jobs.
As DZO, you are responsible for setting standards, reminding staff of those standards and firing the ones who do not conform.

Call me when you get closer to establishing your tandem video concession.

Good luck with your new DZ.