unkulunkulu

Snag Hazard!

Well, do we have any enterprising individuals who want to simply disassemble a radio and build it seamlessly into a helmet? Seems an easy enough task and could be mounted without hardware points.

Students SHOULD have radios, But they should not need them. Why should they have them? Because they (like ME) may end up in unfamiliar conditions and get disoriented. I'd rather someone say "You're heading out too far for the wind conditions" than have to pluck me from a tree later.

But I agree with ChrisD that a simple solution would be to sew a pocket into a student suit, but someone with a little time could probably make a "helmet-radio" without snag points for a student that could be marketed to student friendly DZs.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

Well, do we have any enterprising individuals who want to simply disassemble a radio and build it seamlessly into a helmet? Seems an easy enough task and could be mounted without hardware points.

Students SHOULD have radios, But they should not need them. Why should they have them? Because they (like ME) may end up in unfamiliar conditions and get disoriented. I'd rather someone say "You're heading out too far for the wind conditions" than have to pluck me from a tree later.

But I agree with ChrisD that a simple solution would be to sew a pocket into a student suit, but someone with a little time could probably make a "helmet-radio" without snag points for a student that could be marketed to student friendly DZs.

Say it's a larger DZ on a busy day & there are half a dozen students under canopy...

I can see the ground controller trying to communicate with the 4th guy out who's running long on a downwind leg~ "Hey you, turn 180 degrees..." - and all 6 do it. :ph34r:

SOME Dz's DO use radios, especially if it happens to be a tight LZ.

Some have also tried using them but because of the cost & logistics no longer do.

The bottom line in most operations is pretty thin, rather than drop a couple grand on radios that require maintenance and frequent replacement, most opt to put that $ into the blown piston engine rebuild fund.

I suppose in a perfect world we could have little remote control servos on the rig and bring the students in via radio signals pre programmed from the hangar like an autopilot.

But until then, practical application of good training will have to suffice...it's a dynamic sport that requires a certian level of competence from the participant...if it was easy, girls would be doin' it!
;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Createurself

FYI She is a student going through AFF.

Were you replying to me on purpose? She's clearly a student. My post states there's nothing inherently wrong with using radios. Be smart about how they're used. I'm not one to tell you, (the general you) how to be smart about it.

My comment was in regards to the radio slam by neonlights. Statements like the one I replied to, are short sighted and don't offer a any reason.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Convince a DZ to buy custom helmets with radios in a variety of sizes. Plus cost to maintain them. Doubtful.

SkyDance in Davis uses the pocket on the upper arm of the suit. Easy to check/turn on for instructor, radio can be moved from suit to suit, pocket fits any standard off the shelf radio, and no snag hazard. It also puts the radio right next to the ear when student has arms raised holding toggles. Cost= low.

Looks like a no brainer.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I really don't get understand the problem with radios being expressed here. We use Motorola pagers. They clip onto the chest strap and have a simple cloth pouch with holes for the speaker. We are a 182 DZ in Canada and do a lot of IAD first jumps as well as PFF. (Canadian AFF).

Under CSPA rules students are required to have radios.

I spend a lot of time on the ground talking to first jumpers using this system, which is the same system used for my first jump 21 years ago and for many years before that. It's simple, reliable, and gets great results. It is very quiet under canopy with a Manta or other large student canopy over your head. Unless you have hearing problems this system works just fine. As would the system Chris is suggesting.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I really don't get understand the problem with radios being expressed here. We use Motorola pagers. They clip onto the chest strap and have a simple cloth pouch with holes for the speaker. We are a 182 DZ in Canada and do a lot of IAD first jumps as well as PFF. (Canadian AFF).

Under CSPA rules students are required to have radios.

I spend a lot of time on the ground talking to first jumpers using this system, which is the same system used for my first jump 21 years ago and for many years before that. It's simple, reliable, and gets great results. It is very quiet under canopy with a Manta or other large student canopy over your head. Unless you have hearing problems this system works just fine. As would the system Chris is suggesting.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.

There is nothing wrong with the radio.. but if U read the post well, U will figure out it´s the spot where it is mounted on..

A lot of people ARE badmouthing radio use though, but it is required and there are good ways to do it. Sure, big DZs with 20 students can get confusing, but seriously, put out less radio dependant students at once. Its not rocket science. Its good safety. I was talked down for my CatA so now I know where my spots are and what 1000' looks like... it was a great learning tool.
It would not be expensive to sell a bunch of radio helmets to a DZ, but it seems we already have solutions that are working. It was just a thought ;)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

There is nothing wrong with the radio.. but if U read the post well, U will figure out it´s the spot where it is mounted on..

I did read the thread. I was replying to a specific post within the thread. Thank you for your input.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.