gerryfuss

if your not jumping for a while...

Hi. I have not jumped since the beginning of October and will probably not get back to skydiving till late April at the earliest (due to funds and the lovely weather up here in Ontario). Just wanted to ask a quick question. Should I be taking the main out of the container for periods of time or is it perfectly fine to keep it all packed up for extended periods of time? I've re-packed it twice in the last 3 months for the fun of it but anyone with any advice on this would be appreciated. (I will be getting my reserve repacked before I start jumping this year)

I've re-packed it twice in the last 3 months for the fun of it

Wow, you must be bored.

It's a personal thing. I've had my main packed for up to two months before doing a jump on it. Keep in mind, I store the rig in the house away from extreme cold or heat.

The opening on the main after it has been packed up for a few months are so sweet.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hi Gerry,

I think it is cool that you re-packed the main, even if you didn't jump it just beforehand! Shows your commitment if you ask me.

I think anyone not using their main for long periods is wise to re-pack and examine the canopy just before a jump. Someone I spoke to at a DZ a while ago said his tent had a hole in it because he accidentally packed it up with a catapillar inside that later got squashed. Apparently, the acids from its squashed body 'melted' a small hole in the fabric. I'm not sure how resiliant canopies are against this sort of thing, but I wouldn't like to find out when it is too late...

I guess it is down to you and your own peace of mind at the end of the day. Good luck, but watch out for the large black & orange stripey ones that are as fat as a finger and have eyes the size of dinnenr plates! Yuk, can't stand the damn things - just looking at them crawling along the floor freaks me out.:S

Dave
My favourite saying is under construction...

Don't worry be happy!

At your experience level you need the practice packing anyway. Plus you get to handle all that nylon.;)

Packing for yourself is free, you won't wear out the canopy and you might have fun, Try Packing in the nude.:o

R.I.P.

The packing practice idea is a good one.

In general, besides temperature, you may want to repack if there was some moisture on the canopy, such as having jumped on a humid day or dragged the canopy through some moisture in the landing area. Also, AAD batteries last longer (like any battery) if they are not stored in the kind of temperatures found in the Great White North for extended periods.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I've re-packed it twice in the last 3 months for the fun of it

Wow, you must be bored.

It's a personal thing. I've had my main packed for up to two months before doing a jump on it. Keep in mind, I store the rig in the house away from extreme cold or heat.

The opening on the main after it has been packed up for a few months are so sweet.

I once demo'd a Velocity 84 that literally had been packed for 2 years. I had a canopy lock! LOL...I threw out extra high just in case. It came out of the bag like a Folger's vacuum packed back....just a brick. Well it danced for a bit then opened fine. So....dump high....get ready to chop.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I once demo'd a Velocity 84 that literally had been packed for 2 years. I had a canopy lock! LOL...I threw out extra high just in case. It came out of the bag like a Folger's vacuum packed back....just a brick. Well it danced for a bit then opened fine. So....dump high....get ready to chop.

I once borrowed a rig and the main Malfuctioned. The Reserve opened as if it was packed that day. It was 2 years and 2 months out of date. so that's 2 and 1/2 years packed up.

--- yeah.. I know.. that main was ZP and the reserve I jumped was f-111...:P

Just so ya know, I figured out it was pencil packed after the fact:P

To answer the original question, perform a repack on the main. It will work regardless (assuming it was going to in the first place), but here's a couple reasons to re-pack it.

Regs state both the main and reserve have to be re-packed every 120 days.

The other is, The main will be disconnected during the Reserve repack.

You will want to perform a continuity check and the main has to come out of the deployment bag perform that task.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I read that decomposing bugs trapped in your canopy can deteriorate the material.

Bugs "trapped" in a canopy will only decompose and deteriorate the material (if true) if you don't clear that stuff from your canopy befor storing it for a extended period of time. Cockle Burrs aren't very canopy friendly either.

Rules on a 120 day packing cycle on the main? I wonder how this can be enforced.:( Skydiver honor system?B| Or a packing card signed and dated by the jumper[:/]

I know someone "don't remember his name your honor" who got a fresh repack on their reserve and jumped the main with a 7 yr old pack job. The rig was kept in the closet for 7 years in a plastic container. The sabre worked fine at terminal. My lazy friend was a happy camper since, he didn't to pay for another reserve pack job.

WARNING! I don't recomend this stupidity to anyone.

Not sure of the condition of the rubber bands when the rigger packed the 7 yr old reserve pack job.

Heard some horror stories about rubber bands melting together or becoming brittle over time. This could be the result of storing the rig in the trunk of car during the summer time in a very hot climate.

R.I.P.

It's funny so many of you should mention holes in the canopy. I happened to notice 2 small holes in my main very close to the front right corner. I am pretty sure they were not there back in October but it's possible. They are very small maybe 1/4 the size of a dime. I will be getting it repaired before I jump it and have the rigger completly check it over.
It's possible it could be from bugs. there are thousands of grasshoppers in the fields around the DZ so I don't know if maybe they are to blame. Just goes to show that's it good to check over your gear. ;)