Chrisky

Where to put my rig on flight to Florida?

Hi there,

i'll be flying to Lake Wales for the last week of February. I'll beflying with United Airlines (most probably, didn't confirm the flight yet).

It's an international flight from Vancouver, Canada.

Now i'm wondering whether to take my rig aboard or not. Any experiences?
I could also put it into a hard-shell samsonite...
But of course i'd prefer to have my baby safe with me (all dressed up at best!).

Any info appreciated.
Rock on!
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Contact knowledgeable airline representative to get policy details and try to alleviate the hassle. Carry on definitely! Parachutist had an article about securing rig handles to prevent accidental deployment. Check with them for the correct procedure and or issue #. Good luck and we'll see you in Lake Wales.

Go to www.tsa.gov, and put parachute in the search bar. I think its the top choice of the returned findings. Also look on Uniteds website, and see if they have anything published. This is just in case stuff for if anyone gives you shit. Of course since you'll be prepared, no one will say a word.

I always carry mine on, never a problem, and I travel at least twice a omnth with my rig..

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I too am lucky like Chucky! Wow, that rhymes. ( crack myself up)

Now the people that I've travel with have had their share of problems. Why my rig wasn't singled out, I'll never know. Must be cause of my wonderful personality:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thanks a lot.:)
This LINK is just what i was looking for.B|

United doesn't seem to have anything apart from the standard no knives or firearms etc. blablabla on their site.[:/]

I just flew to ZHills a few weeks ago. Granted it wasn't an international flight or anything, but I just took the rig, and ONLY the rig on board, in my gear bag with NOTHING else in it. I had no problems flying to or from florida.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I just got back from Lake Whales myself, put my rig in a carry-on bag (fit perfectly) had no problem bringing it on with me. I feel that if there is gonna be a problem, you might as well be right there to deal with it yourself, plus I really wanted it with me to make sure nothing happened to it, or have it end up God knows where. They did not even ask what it was when I put it through the x-ray machine, but of course they made me take my shoes off. [:/]

You should be fine, make sure you have your license, cypress card and that letter from the TSA regarding traveling with a parachute.

Have a blast in Lake Whales, awesome place with really nice people, was sad to leave and return to this bitter New England weather.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

I just flew from Newark to Lake Whales last week with no problems. I put my rig in a carry-on sized suitcase and took it on the plane. They inspected my shoes several times but no one even glanced at my rig. On the way back security commented that it was fortunate that I had a parachute in case I had to jump out. I carried a letter from the TSA and my Cypres card just in case but didn't need them.

Have a great time in Lake Whales. It's a beautiful dropzone with some very nice people. I had a blast and hated returning to the freezing cold northeast weather.

If you picka seat near the back of the plane, it's also easier to get overhead space right away and right above your seat.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm also flying internationally with my rig next week! Going from Frankfurt to Florida (Z-Hills). Thanks for all the good info; I wasn't planning on taking it, but now I might. Anyone have any problems flying out of Frankfurt with their rig?

Shady

I doubt they will throw in one on returning your checked one by default, but they definitely will (send one) if you ask them.

It should have come along with the manual. If you have the manual, check the back, this is where the card usually sticks.;)

If the rig is anywhere that someone might want to pick it up by the reserve handle, then tie the chest strap round the handle. That makes sure no one deploys the reserver, and you won't have forgotton to take it off if you ever need the reserve.

If you are flying out of Tampa, please be prepared with the letter from the TSA.

I flew out of Tampa yesterday and was randomly red-lined for the more thorough screening by the TSA. They apparently had never seen a parachute come through there. The supervisor went right to his manual when he heard what it was. After my thorough wand screening, he asked me what time my flight was. He didn't think that the rig could be carried on. So, I politely offered him the letter which he read and then found his new and updated papers (which even include pictures of what the rig looks like under X-ray) that allowed us to go through with no further problems.

It definitely helped that I was polite and didn't get upset or angry. And now that they have seen it, it should be easier, but be prepared. That letter helped me. I'm glad that USPA got everything worked out with the TSA.

Have a great trip! Z-Hills kicks major ass!!

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"