billvon

Thailand update #9

Wednesday

We got a lot of inspirational speeches on the first jump of the day. The theme was "treat this as if it was the only jump we had left." A good theme, but I think some people heard "we have to get this one so go like hell."

We got around 22,000 feet, and exited as normal. The base was above us again, and our sector 2 base line had to float up into position. As we were lining up, I saw Rob slide left to avoid a camera guy who was trying to get the perfect shot. Rob slid under Scott and they took each other out; within seconds they were both 50 feet low. Great, I thought. We're not even at 18,000 feet yet and the dive's over. Me and the rest of the line backed off, trying to avoid the two of them washing around beneath us. The rest of the red line did a great job giving us room while we dodged them.

Then Rob and Scott started floating back up, and first Rob then Scott docked. Wow, I thought, it might not be over after all. We flew in and took grips, and the red wacker started to build behind us. It actually looked pretty good from my perspective; I only saw a few people out.

In the end we got 321 out of 358. Not too bad with a base funnel, but a lot of people seemed to be rushing to grips instead of flying their slots. I was impressed by the flying of Rob and Scott, our sector 2 base line and the sector-2 wacker; everyone just gave them space until they recovered and then moved into position quickly. Sector 2 was complete before breakoff per the judges, as were sectors 3, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

We were excited by the prospect of getting an FAI record on Melanie's birthday, and we rushed to get in the air again. We loaded the planes, took off, and got to 6500 feet before we got the "we're landing" signal. Apparently there was an instrument problem with one of the aircraft, and we landed while they fixed it. An hour later we were in the air again. This time our plane only got to 1500 feet before we got the abort signal. Plane D never even got off the ground; they aborted their takeoff roll due to an engine problem.

Afterwards we sat around telling stories while we waited for the weather to clear. Then it started to drizzle. Then it started to rain. Then the real rain started, and we scrambled to hold down the tents and to try to get all the gear into the center of the tarps where the rain wasn't too bad. My rig got soaked, as did a lot of people's. I'll try to attach some pictures later to show the extent of the rain; it was truly impressive.

Maybe tomorrow . . .

Some pictures:

korat_resort - the hotel that the other 25% of the people are staying at. Location of the famous sarong contest.

C130_procession - a truly impressive line of taxiing aircraft.

rain1-5 - a few shots of today's rain.

rain_C130 - our aircraft waiting patiently in the storm.

gulley1-2 - this developed over the course of about five minutes. I guess no one will be packing in that area anymore.

Wow, lots of rain. Looks like the pictures of the storm from WFFC in 2000, or what ever year that was.

I enlarged the resort picture as big as I could just to see if I could find anyone I know. No luck:(

Be safe, and get that record.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey