dgskydive

Eye Contact...Do you have it?

I tell you guys what. In the last few months I have learned so much more about skydiving. More in the last 6 months then in the first 9 years around the sport. Of course jumping wtht Dan B.C. every weekend has helped just a little bit. ;)

I though this may help some of you at smaller DZ's that don't have the benifits of a Dan B.C.

There are so many things he is teaching us but the most important one is Eye Contact. I know we all hear about it from day on in AFF, but how many really use it? Sure you see people in freefall but do you really have eye contact.
Do you really see the eyes of your partner in freefall?
That has been the biggest thing has preached since he has been here and just that little thing has improved everyone he has jumped with.

It starts in the dirt dive and continues on to the dive. In your dirt dive where are you looking? If you don't look in there eyes in the dirt dive you won't in free fall.

Try it see how much better you get with just that tip from him. Next time you dirt dive only look in your partners eyes. Don't worry about the other 2 on the jump. Just dirt dive your two way without ever taking your eyes off of each other. Then when you jump it will be automatic.

Read his article on this site about it and you will improve right away.
Dom

It is the key to everything. I know it sounds silly to bring it up. but I bet if evryone that reads this tries it this weekend in there dirt dives things will go better then they expected.

One of the things I do in post dives now is watch everyones heads. Where are they looking? The ones with their eyes off the center or off of there partners are the ones that are low or just generally screwing up the dive.

With constantly working on eye contact lately I can still remember points from 3 months ago and what so and so did on a certain point.

Dan has even gone as far as to ask us to remember what our partner did on his or her dive. Tell him what they did. Real simple, the people that could tell him what their partner did on the dive where the ones that got it right. If they couldn't tell him what their partner did, they where the ones that screwed up the dive every time we looked at a video. It is amazing to see it time and time again
Dom

Timely post as I was just about to ask a question related to this....

I've been told several times eye contact a key factor in world class skydiving.

But - I am paranoid about my eyes - my family all have blue eyes and have all been hit by cancer. So I am anal about wearing sunglasses anytime I'm outside. I wear a pair under my oxygn when jumping. Kinda puts the kiabosh on eye contact. Does anyone know if you can get a clear UV blocking visor for the Oxygn?

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Eye contact is huge in maintaining fall rate. Its propably the #1 item we've worked on this season.
when we maintain good eye contact, we can gat though the points twice or more. If we have poor eye contact we are lucky to get though them once.B|
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Does anyone know if you can get a clear UV blocking visor for the Oxygn?

Most plastics are pretty good UV blockers themselevs. When I was working with a UV laser we tested the plastic lenses in our clear goggles (impact protective type). They blocked 95+% of the UV from 200 to about 350 nm. (The visible region starts around 400 nm or so)

Dave

I completely agree, eye contact is VERY important when doing two ways especially. Hell, some transitions in freefly (cartwheels for example) are difficult to do without the eye contact. Still, we need to remember that in 3 ways and bigger, you need to limit your eye contact a little bit to be aware of all the bodies around you.

Just my .99 Super Value Meal....

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have been saying this for years and years. Maybe it's cause I learned this from Dan years ago. I even bitch at people to take their sunglassess off during the dirt dive.

Eye contact is also good in knowing if another jumper is looking at you when he is "screaming" through the air, to get to his slot on a big way.

No, I'm not naming names
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

It is the key to everything.

I know that I'm a newbie, but I completely agree! MJ taught me this over at Elsinore when I first began to skydive. He taught me to burn holes into his with mine during the skydive, so as to keep level, etc. He even made us all wear only clear goggles or full-faces, so that we (other RW students) could always see each other's eyes.

I still keep constant eye-contact now that I have begun four ways, and it works beautifully. I was on my first RW ten-way with several points this past weekend, and it went very well for me because I spoke up and asked Hammo whom I should be looking at or where I should be looking towards during each move.

Thank you, Dom, for the awesome tip and/or reminder to maintain eye contact! You're awesome! B|

....I though this may help some of you at smaller DZ's that don't have the benifits of a Dan B.C....

Well, though they may not have access to a real Dan BC, many of my friends are currently asking where they can at least purchase the action figure with the laser beam eye contact...:P
AMDG

Timely post as I was just about to ask a question related to this....

I've been told several times eye contact a key factor in world class skydiving.

But - I am paranoid about my eyes - my family all have blue eyes and have all been hit by cancer. So I am anal about wearing sunglasses anytime I'm outside. I wear a pair under my oxygn when jumping. Kinda puts the kiabosh on eye contact. Does anyone know if you can get a clear UV blocking visor for the Oxygn?

Jump

Wow man, I dunno. You may have to go with uv/ clear sunglasses beneath your visor or somethin'. They do have uv lenses that are clear or almost clear don't they. I think so anyway.

My Z1 has an aftermarket tinted shield, but it very light and others can see through it pretty easily.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Eye contact is also good in knowing if another jumper is looking at you when he is "screaming" through the air, to get to his slot on a big way.

No, I'm not naming names

:D

You kill me!

Indeed - I agree! Even with full-face helmets, you can tell by the eyes what's going on in there! If you aren't with the game, you aren't in the game!

great advice, everything that we learn always includes
eye contact. I taught my kids eye contact when crossing the street, playing ball, skeaking to people,
changing lanes while driving. How about walking towards someone and instinctivly move when you
catch eye contact. We (people) can for the most
part have a heads up on a persons next move just by looking at their eyes. . So lets incorporate this theory with freefall hence canopy flight.

Lets try the eye contact thing,... I'll give it a try and
get back to you

But - I am paranoid about my eyes - my family all have blue eyes and have all been hit by cancer. So I am anal about wearing sunglasses anytime I'm outside

Don't know how serious your eye problem may be. Just a thought. Will the 4 or 5 minutes of the jump really effect you that much? Or, put them in your jumpsuit and then put them on under canopy. The eye contact is worth it if you can. YOur eyes will only be in the direct sun for a few minutes at a time.
Dom