CanuckInUSA

Will you land off with your jump buddies

My priorities are:

1. Make sure the person under reserve is OK and someone lands with them.
  2. Follow the gear. I'll catch a freebag if there's altitude and airspace; I won't touch a main in the air if I don't already have it when it's chopped. I'll follow stuff most anywhere that doesn't put me in significant risk.
  3. Always land together when landing out if at all possible.
I've followed freefallers under reserve and spotted and/or retrieved gear on a couple of occasions. Without exception they've been pleasantly surprised to find out someone was looking out for them when they expected to be on their own.

Bob

I have noticed this tendency at most of the smaller dz's that I have been to, the bigger dz's seem to have a more callouse attitude toward your gear....
I always follow the person to make sure they are ok, and to help recover gear, and I have been fortunate to receive help when chasing my main and freebag.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I jump at a small Cessna dropzone with very wide open "outs". Typically at least one person will land with the main.. one with the reserve rider.. and two will chase down the freebag. Freebag chasing is not a sport that we get to indulge in too often (fortunately).

I personally believe that gear chasing should be left to the very seasoned professionals. I think that the potential for a canopy collision while more than one person is chasing gear is much higher than at the DZ, mainly because people tend to not fly so predictably when chasing gear.

At least one person on the load should land with the jumper though (if they are way off). Just be smart about it. Know your canopy skills. When you are landing with someone, you don't have to land on them, chose a safe spot nearby and wait for the ambulance that Ron is sending even though he has no clue if you need one or not.

The only mal that I have had, I got beat in an accuracy competition by my own freebag which landed 5 ft from the target. Now that was a well spotted load!

Jokes Ron, jokes... ;)

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Please don't call 911 every time someone lands off. You will quickly tire the emergency personnel. If you see someone land off and they appear to have been injured, that is one thing, but if people start calling for an ambulance once or twice a day "just in case" the emergency crews are going to get sick of resonding.

I would land off with a jumper who is far out and assist them if I could make it to where they are. If I couldn't, I would land at the DZ and start a search. Make sure the searching parties have cell phones so they can call 911 if needed. Radios are also good to help the searchers coordinate their efforts. Usually off landings are not a big deal, and result in a short walk or shorter car ride, but someone needs to be looking out for the jumper. Calling wolf to 911 all day isn't helping anyone.

- Dan G

- Dan G

am I the only person who always jumps with a mobile phone?
They don't take up a lot of room under your jumpsuit, and are useful if only because if you do land off, you can phone the dz and tell them you're ok and where you are...
I would have thought more people would cary one...

I was doing a 2-way today, when my buddy had a brake line break. I could tell he was fine and watch him make it back to the DZ, so I followed his main(lost sight of freebag). We have plenty of outs where I jump at, which is one good thing about Oklahoma. I landed a little over a half a mile off, and before I was on the ground one of the staff members was in their car heading out to get me. If i was at a new DZ, I more than likely would have landed back at the DZ and watched for where his gear landed. The main reasoning behind why I did this is out of respect for the other jumper, who is the guy who got me into this sport, and I felt comfortable landing off with the conditions.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

The buddy also got me into the sport, which is why I wasn't so hesitant to go hiking through muddy, horse shit filled fields to find the freebag. Found it next to a pond in an alfalfa field next to the dz, probably 300 yards from the lz.

As thanks, he bought our dinner. What a guy ;)!

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail