sky_jumper22

pilot chutes

I was told last time I jumped that I really should consider getting a new pilot chute, due to wear and tear. I've noticed that most experienced jumpers have collapsible ones. Is there any special reason why most have that kind instead of the standard? To me, it's just an extra thing to remember and it's also more expensive.

more experienced jumpers use the collapsible ones due to the drag that non-collapsible cause. Less drag, fly faster, fly faster, longer swoops.

but yeah drag is the main reason, and then also you look cooler and less like a student :D
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

if you jump a big, slow, or lightly loaded canopy, then a collapsible pilot chute is relatively unimportant. If you get zoomie, then a collapsible pilot chute will enhance performance. If you worry about forgetting to cock it, then don't get one, and don't worry. To hear some people talk, you'd think that before collapsible pilot chutes were common that square parachutes wouldn't fly. Most jumpers wouldn't even notice the flight characteristics were different if you switch out their collapsible pc.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

hey- you better believe I look cool no matter what;) Thanks for the input. I'm not too concerned about speed under canopy. I think I'll get the standard and use that $60 I save to make more jumps!

Exactly my point of view 8 months ago. Now I have gathered a little more spare cash and I have bought a collapsible PC - it can always be added on now!B|

Does it make any difference? I dont know yet!:P (Spectre 170...)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

hey- you better believe I look cool no matter what;) Thanks for the input. I'm not too concerned about speed under canopy. I think I'll get the standard and use that $60 I save to make more jumps!

Might get some more input first. I've heard it said that a non-collapsable PC can be detrimental to the landing characteristics of a canopy. Not just talking longer surfs, but meaningful plane-out and flare.

Whether it's true of a lightly loaded Spectre I personally have no idea... but someone around here will know.

or... it might not hurt to email PD and ask them.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Tiffany,

Since I just returned to sport after 12yrs, collapsible pcs are new to me, & I'm concerned about "one more thing to remember" also.
There are soo many varibles involved that, in order to get your rig tuned the way you want it...without
wasting money on bad moves, researching the topic is best.
DZ.com is an awesome tool for this...
You can find my (Or anyone's) opinions, (& Questions, etc), by clicking their user name, and then show user's posts.
You can also run a search..., (Search Posts), which can be a little tricky...(Depending on how I entered the search fields...I got from 0 to 4500 results on this topic). This just takes practice.
Tip; You can sort the search results by poster's user name - (Example); billbooth would be an excellent
choice on this topic, because of his experience & research in this field. (& or any skydiving field for that matter)

Lu7k,
D

I think I'll get the standard and use that $60 I save to make more jumps!

Don't know how much you load that 150 Spectre of yours but at 1 or higher you will notice the difference.

(Slightly off topic) I vaguely remember somebody building a collapsible that had the pin attached to the kill line. When it collapsed, the pin disapeared into the bridle, making it impossible to close the rig without cocking the PC.
Since I firmly believe we should build our stuff in such a way that we are protected against our own stupidity: What happened with that design? Didn't work well enough? Other issues?

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

"Pilot chute "under/over" problems. The pilot chute may fall over the leading edge of the canopy and re-inflate underneath, usually causing a turn in the distorted canopy. Attempt to stall the canopy slightly so that it backs up, possibly allowing the pilot chute to come back up and over the front of the parachute. If the canopy cannot be controlled with toggles, break away and pull your reserve ripcord." - Dropzone.com

In my opinion, another advantage of a collapsible PC is that it decreases the chances of having a nasty PC "under/over" malfunction. Since a collapsible PC can't re-inflate and create as much drag as a normal PC, I wouldn't think that it would be as likely to cause a situation that would require a cut away. I've never heard anyone else ever say this, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes I like to believe my own lies and this may be one of those times.

You may want to consider a bungey pilot chute. These have the advantage of not requiring an extra step. The main disadvantage is that the tension decreases over time as the bungey wears out. When this happens the pilot chute will reinflate during a swoop. I doubt this is a big issue given your current canopy choice and loading.

(Slightly off topic) I vaguely remember somebody building a collapsible that had the pin attached to the kill line. When it collapsed, the pin disapeared into the bridle, making it impossible to close the rig without cocking the PC.

Precision used to make these, and may make them still. I had one on my first rig about 7 years ago. They actually worked great, but lasted about 20 jumps before the stitching in the bridle where they made the "pivot" point for the pin blew out and allowed the pin to pull into the bridle. I went through three of these before I got tired of it and switched to a "standard" collapsible.

And for those people who continually worry about whether they'll remember to cock the pilot chute...you should be looking right at the kill-line window when you're putting the pin through the closing loop, so there's really no way you can close the rig without verifying that the PC is cocked and ready to go. Just my $.02...
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

And for those people who continually worry about whether they'll remember to cock the pilot chute...you should be looking right at the kill-line window when you're putting the pin through the closing loop, so there's really no way you can close the rig without verifying that the PC is cocked and ready to go. Just my $.02...

Exactly! And I remember twice that I forgot to cock it and caught it that way. I caught them both as I was putting the pin in. I check two times when packing and always once more before putting on my rig.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump