2wheeljunkie

A little shook up.

I took first jump school today and made my first static line jump. I did a tandem last week. I was less than satisfied with my arch. During my tandem, I had some door hesitation. Today I didn't, but I think I was focusing too much on not having door hesitation and not on my arch. I took a tumble because of poor arch. The chute deployed OK. It had a little twist. No big deal. My landing was soft, but I didn't collapse the chute fully and got dragged a bit. I know. Chuckles from the jumpmasters. I was OK after the jump, but after watching my exit video, I am a little discouraged and kind of mad. I jumped from a C-208 Caravan. The DZ is getting their C-182 back from overhaul in a week or so, so I'll be able to do a hanging exit. Will this help since you are pretty well arched on release? Advice, experiences please.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.

Will this help since you are pretty well arched on release? Advice, experiences please

I always feel like I'm doing a backflip whenever I do a hanging exit from a C-182. If I'm already facing the tail of the aircraft while inside, I just step out an do a a dive out exit.

I always feel like I'm doing a backflip whenever I do a hanging exit from a C-182. If I'm already facing the tail of the aircraft while inside, I just step out an do a a dive out exit.

yeah but they're doing static line. Static line exits in an arched "belly to earth" position. No dive exits that I'm aware of.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey 2wheel,

You did the tandem and the first static line. You are well on your way. Don't get mad, you jumped, listened to your radio and landed safely. Good Jump. Did you have fun? I am going to guess from seein you after the tandem that the answer is a big smiling yes.

Keep jumping and you will soon be back in the caravan for coach jumps.

Cya out there soon.

and made my first static line jump

Cool...I went through the static line progression, although I don't see it done too much anymore in the US.

I took a tumble because of poor arch. The chute deployed OK.

It's your first static line. It's perfectly normal to have a bit of trouble in the beginning getting the arch down.

It had a little twist.

Very normal to have line twists on static line. Don't let 'em bother you and just kick out like you've been taught.

so I'll be able to do a hanging exit. Will this help since you are pretty well arched on release? Advice, experiences please.

When I went through static line we hung from the 182 strut as well. The instructors had a smiley face on the wing that we were told to look at as long as we could while arching. This basically forced your body to bend in an arch and helped a lot. If they dont have it, just keep looking at the wing while going through your drills....it should have the same effect.

Relax, have fun, and remember that it can take a little time (but normally less when you're relaxed).

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Thanks, Ira. I'm still settling out. It was a very different experience from tandem. Were you there today. Are you the tall guy with the hardtail (40 lbs in the rear tire for the wife)? I wish I got to do another jump today. I had to do the family thing. It'll probably be May 7th before I get back. I'm on-call next weekend and fishing tournament the following. I'm going to try to get a day of on-call covered. I'm still stoked. I'll be back.

I went through S/L progression. Don't be so hard on yourself. It was your first S/L jump, nobody expects you to be perfect. I do think a hanging C182 exit is much easier for S/L since you're already in the arch position. We were all new once, so just go back and jump again. It will get easier/better.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hey Junkie,

It took me about 12 jumps to "master" my arch. I say that like I'm a pro....only 30 jumps now. When hanging from the strut, after release make a point to keep looking at the plane as you are falling away. That will help with the arch. Also, don't kick your legs. A lot of students look like they're trying to swim. Any leg movement can flip you over in a heartbeat.

Livin life,

dgm
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

I myself was a static line student. The best advice I can offer is relax, make the big X and keep your eyes on the aircraft. Looking up at the plane will help you hold your arch, if you look down for any reason you will probably be de arching and it causes your flips. You will have to look at your ripcord when you do PRCP's but remember to look with your eyes and move only your head, not the trunk of your body and you will have no problems. Don't forget your hand movements to, doing them smoothly is a must. Practice them at home until you are sick of them and then practice some more. Make it burn into your muscle memory. Remember practicing on the ground is free and do-over jumps cost a bunch. Good luck! ;)

Which is totally the wrong advice for a guy in a SL program.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I took first jump school today and made my first static line jump. I did a tandem last week. I was less than satisfied with my arch.

What a bad arch on your first solo jump?!?!? Thats it, you should quit right now...You clearly don't have "it". I bet the first time you got behind the wheel of a car you were ready for the Daytona 500 right? I doubt it.

During my tandem, I had some door hesitation.

What you didn't just go...I mean whats not normal about jumping out of an airplane in flight over 2 miles up?...I have one word for you on this...normal.

Today I didn't, but I think I was focusing too much on not having door hesitation and not on my arch.

OK, more focus on performance and less on fear.

took a tumble because of poor arch. The chute deployed OK

Arch, don't tumble...

No big deal

Yep, this sounds like about 1,000 other first jumps I have seen....No big deal. Relax.

My landing was soft

I guess that means you lived right? So I would count that as a success.

but I didn't collapse the chute fully and got dragged a bit

collapse your chute next time.

I was OK after the jump

Well that would be a good thing. You are not dead, so I'd sign it off.

but after watching my exit video, I am a little discouraged and kind of mad.

Why? Cause you didn't perform perfectly in a high stress situation? Get over that. If it was easy, eveyone would do it. If it was not dangerous and scary you could do SL at Disney World.

The DZ is getting their C-182 back......Will this help since you are pretty well arched on release?

Yes, much easier.

Advice

Relax and think about all you have already learned:
1. Don't worry about being afraid...fear is good in this sport.

2. Don't wait in the door go. You came to jump, got all dressed up in stupid looking student gear, and got into a small plane with a door that opens easily...GO!

3. Arch on exit...Don't tumble.

4. You delt with line twists.

5. You had a safe landing.

6. You now know to really work on collapsing the chute after you land...And you know what its like to be drug...And well you provided comic relief for the DZ.

7. You also now have the harder exit done...And next week you will have a second aircraft type that you have jumped from...Not bad for a person with 3 total jumps.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks for the comments, everyone. They helped a lot. I'm a lot better this morning. (Sweet, sweet beer) And I realized that I've got a weekend between on-call and my fishing trip. I'm going to spend this weekend away from the DZ and do some riding. ;) I have to remember to close my blinds or my neighbors will think I'm crazy if they see me doing PRCP's and arches.

Thanks everyone.

Blue Skies

Dude it is all good. The first time I did my superman exit, my jumpmaster stepped out onto the video step...I got into the door...looked down...looked at him...then shook my head NO!...He screamed at me to jump. When I did finally jump....I was starring at the bright blue sky. Yes I was on my backwith my instructor above me just shaking his head. I rolled over and had fun...I couldn't wait to do that exit again. ;)