Squeak

visiting USA with RIG

what is with this?

The topic of using your own foreign gear here and the required reserve repack cycle has been recently (July, 2003) clarified by both the FAA and USPA. See USPA's latest information about this topic. In summary:
You must be a foreigner, not a resident alien or dual citizenship
You must own the gear in question.
Either the container OR the reserve must be non-TSO'd
You must be the one using the equipment
If all of this applies to you, then you can jump your gear here, using your country's rules about reserve repacks and such.

From ZHills site.

So if my rigs is ALL TSO'd it's TOO safe to use there??:S:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Although I only understand this rule through aplying american thinking, but that would make this politics and there is another forum for that. I do wonder:

If I'm exceeding the MSW of my reserve, I'm not jumping it under a legal TSO. Would that make it legal for me, as a foreign jumper to jump TSO gear on a 6 months repack cycle? (which is normal for The Neterlands)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

See this elsewhere on the dropzone site: http://www.dropzone.com/features/GearRegulationsforParach.shtml

Many drop zones do not know about or understand the regulation, and many don't bother enforcing it. Check directly with the DZ you are expecting to visit.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Senior Parachute Rigger
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Sqeak,
You are being silly.
If you want to jump TSOed gear in the USA, it must be maintained to FAA standards, including the 120 day repack cycle.

Rob the USA is not the only place that applies the TSO C23 etc... to there gear.
If I undestand it correctly there are manufacturers out there that comply to all TSO requirments for ALL the rig.
Although I don't think Javelin is one of themif it's got a Micro Raven 150 in it for a reserve?
Anyone know if the MR150 is TSO'd???:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So if my rigs is ALL TSO'd it's TOO safe to use there??

nope justthat if it is tso'd you have to go bythe 120 day repack cycle nstread of the 6 month if that is what your country uses... lets have two exapmles.........

iirc

i am an austrailian jumper jumping a non tso'd rig with non tso'd reserve.......... i can follow my countries repack cycle or packing guidlines for it (ie. in germany you can pack your own reserve if you are the only one jumping it)

i am an austrailian jumper jumping a tso'd container and a tso'd reserve........ i have to follow the faa's 120 day repack cycle.............packed by a liscened faa rigger or eqivelant in what ever country it was packed in......

if anybody finds this wrong let me know....

packed by a liscened faa rigger or eqivelant in what ever country it was packed in......

Is this bit true?

I don't know if it is, I haven't seen the specific legislation, but I thought it _had_ to be an FAA rigger
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

packed by a liscened faa rigger or eqivelant in what ever country it was packed in......

Is this bit true?

I don't know if it is, I haven't seen the specific legislation, but I thought it _had_ to be an FAA rigger

If the rig is UNapproved it can be packed in any country by anybody who is authorized to pack it in the owners nation of citizenship. If it is an APPROVED parachute system it may be packed in any country, but for use in the USA it must be packed by a FAA rigger, not an equivalent. Please see the abstract of the proposal and final rule posted here on dropzone at: http://www.dropzone.com/features/GearRegulationsforParach.shtml

The end of the abstract has links to the actual regulation. The FAA has changed their data system so their link doesn't provide a direct connection to the regulation anymore. To use the FAA link, follow the link, then click on Title 14, then select FAR 105.49.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Senior Parachute Rigger
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Rob the USA is not the only place that applies the TSO C23 etc... to there gear.
If I undestand it correctly there are manufacturers out there that comply to all TSO requirments for ALL the rig.
Although I don't think Javelin is one of themif it's got a Micro Raven 150 in it for a reserve?
Anyone know if the MR150 is TSO'd???:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Precision Aerodynamics manufactores Micro Raven 150 reserves under FAA TSO C23C.

You are correct in stating that most countries do not bother certifying (TSO, etc.) main canopies). Off the top of my head, Germany is the only country with a system for approving main canopies.

Sorry to disagree with you, but lots of other countries have adopted the American TSO system. Why, even Parachutes Australia manufactures Talon harness/containers to TSO standards. Quality control at Parachutes Australia is monitored by the Australian government to FAA TSO standards.

Likewise, Transport Canada monitors the Sidewinder harness/containers that Flying High (in Alberta, Canada) builds under a TSO.

Two South African companies (Chute Shop and PISA) build gear under a TSO.

All the different European standards are now being incorporated into the JAA TSO quality control system.

CRAP if the MR150 is TSO'd and my Jav is TSO'd then I need to be in the states in the 1st 120days of my repack cycle:S is that correct.
If I'm outside the 1st 120 days then the rig will need to be repacked before I can jump it in the USA.
Then 120 days after that when I return home.[:/].
I may as well just build a small fire with my money and stay warm>:( This is becoming more & more expensive:(:(
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Umm, it still needs to be packed by an FAA Rigger - so unless you can find an FAA Rigger at home in OZ, you will need to organise a pack job as soon as you arrive [:/] Otherwise, find a non TSOd rig/reserve/main and bring it over packed (in Oz) and you'll be fine, for 180 days!! Does that sound absurd to anyone else?!

i am an austrailian jumper jumping a tso'd container and a tso'd reserve........ i have to follow the faa's 120 day repack cycle.............packed by a liscened faa rigger or eqivelant in what ever country it was packed in......

if anybody finds this wrong let me know....

Nope, as I understand it, it has to be packed by an FAA Rigger .... NOT an 'equivelent'

Squeak,
Didn't you want to get some work done on your Jav at Sunpath? Here's a plan - contact them and arrange the work and send your rig over before you leave, and arrange to pick it up when you arrive with the work done and a fresh repack! Take your main with you and hook it up when you get there.

May cost you a bit more (ie. shipping), but at least the reserve will be packed and 'airworthy' when you arrive, so you can jump (OK, so you'll be out your rig at home for a month I guess).

Try not to work out the exchange rate ... it helps at the time!

Didn't you want to get some work done on your Jav at Sunpath?

And, then Squeak...you walk just a minute down the road and are at ZHills...VIOLA! :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

how big is your house Cora;)

:D Well...the condo is big...well...big to me. :D

So....is this saying that I get to meet your lovely wife next year and jump with you? ;)B|:P
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

It is looking increasing likethat Cora:D:D
I'm trying to not get too excited until after I pay for the airlne tickets ($5000.00AUD)[:/]

Praying for a GOOD tax return:D:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?