Scrumpot

For you AFF Students out there...

yeah, upon reflection, i do remember my fjc instructor/JM tell me he wouldn't go in for me. "I have no friends under 2000 ft" Although he did divulge to me that in some cases it would be logical, possibly even beneficial to ignore "my" hard deck. if it's fine at 2500 but turns to shit at 1600....

Never go to a DZ strip show.

looking back at my aff (april 03) I was lucky to have some damn good instructors who probably could have saved me from most situations, BUT, would I have felt comfortable with them pulling my ripcord for me? Hell no. I would have been absolutely furious with myself for being in a situation where I could no longer have saved my own life. Going for a jump believing it's safe to screw up that badly seems to be an unsafe attitude to me.
thats just what i think though and i can be a bit of a perfectionist so i'm always pissed off when i screw up even a little bit.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

on my first aff jump at 5500 i waved off and went to pull, however when i went for the throw out, i missed the hackey, so in return my instructor pulled for me.... i was pissed, no pissed. i oculd not believe that i did not do it myself, but that did make me comfortable with the fact that i knoew they were there for me. But no i do not trust them to pull for me. THats my job, and now a level 5 i should be able to pull for myself no matter what.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

thats just what i think though and i can be a bit of a perfectionist so i'm always pissed off when i screw up even a little bit.

I think this is one sport where it's probably a pretty damn good idea to be a perfectionist

yeah benny i agree, but i like to do it myslef ya know. And in that situation he did it for me cauyse i screwed up..... oh well
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

My AFF instructor did pull for me on my first attempt at Level One. :$

I got it right on the next attempt though, just nerves, and the inability to find the hackey. I honestly think that if she hadn't pulled for me, I would have had a Cypres fire, 'cause I doubt I would've found it between 5,000 and 1,000...who knows. Either way, lesson learned.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

the instructors video from one of my aff jumps shows him docking on me when it looked like i might not be getting ready to pull. i had just forgotten to wave off and beat him to the handle. he was on the ball and heads up.

falling through the student hard deck with nothing out should be a big red flag and an should be seen as an open invitation to pull for said student.

if an instructor is not capable of being within or getting to within arms reach of a student at all times, for whatever reason; experience, weight, size, etc, then that instructor should not be jumping with that student.

that said; the primary and ultimate role of an aff instructor is to make sure a student gets a parachute over their head. any of the various arguments and defenses to the contrary that have been visited on these forums are merely bullshit semantic games.

of course most students believe that the JM will pull if they get in trouble. the student does not know how to skydive. that is what the JM is getting paid to teach them. we all know this. otherwise there would be students bouncing all the time.

rhetorical stupid question: who has ever seen a student miss a pull? who has ever seen a student lose altitude awareness?

obvious and apparent answer: every aff instructor. and they pull the handles on those students. why? because it is thier job... to pull if necessary.
namaste, motherfucker.

I Just finished AFF at Sebastian (FL) a couple days ago. Like stated above, I was told pulling is something I need to do. I was also told on every jump before level 7 that "I may be away to the side but will be next to you at pull time in case". I have no doubt that my JM would have done all he could to pull for me in the event something happened. In the end, you should have the sense enough to pull your own pilot, its your life. The JM is there in the event you totally f-up and dont realize the ground is waiting for you if you dont pull. If I had any doubts about my safety, I would not have jumped with the JM. I got all out of wack on my L5 and was spinning all over. I still made the pull but the jm was right next to me when the time came so I was still calm and remembered to PULL! If you dont pull on your own, I dont think you belong in the sport. Maybe thats harsh, but bad thigns happen, and if you cant think to do that one thing in an emergency, well....you know the result.

Ryan
Oz

I Just finished AFF at Sebastian (FL) a couple days ago. Like stated above, I was told pulling is something I need to do. I was also told on every jump before level 7 that "I may be away to the side but will be next to you at pull time in case". I have no doubt that my JM would have done all he could to pull for me in the event something happened. In the end, you should have the sence enough to pull your own pilot, its your life. The JM is there in the event you totally f-up and dont realize the ground is waiting for you if you dont pull. If I had any doubts about my safety, I would not have jumped with the JM. I got all out of wack on my L5 and was spinning all over. I still made the pull but the jm was right next to me when the time came so I was still calm and remembered to PULL! If you dont pull on your own, I dont think you belong in the sport. Maybe thats harsh, but bad thigns happen, and if you cant think to do that one thing in an emergency, well....youknow the result.

Ryan

I guess that's what I've been trying to get at. I'm still in AFF and will do LV as soon as possible, but every time I get in the plane I think no matter what happens, pull that damn chute. If everything is going fine pull when you're supposed to, if not, pull anyway. I'd rather take my chances under canopy any day...