DOCsa

Wind tunnel in the uk??

i'm looking for a wind tunnel in the uk i was woundering where it was and how to contact them ??

at a guess i dont think the skyventure tunnel will happen.

Last i heard they were still looking for investors, whereas theres that military one being converted for public use thats already built, oh and it holds something like 16 jumpers...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I'm still under the impression that the Skyventure tunnel will open this year at Milton Keynes xscape centre!!! (september??)
Also heard that one is being talked about for the new Xscape in Glasgow and possibly Castleford if that one takes off!!!

But then again this is the uk!![:/]

Blue skies

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

From what i've heard they dont even have investors for the Skyventure in MK yet, so having it built by september seems a bit optomistic.

The boody flight tunnel seems a better bet as it's already built, they're just converting it. I couldn't find any updates on their website, but they mention it being up and running by August :)

On the contrary the skyventure tunnel looks like it very well may happen pretty soon.

They were about £500k short of the required funds but one of their directors has offered to put this cash in and he waiting on approval from the other share holders to do this. If he gets approval, tunnel construction will start fairly quickly with the tunnel opening in spring.

I don't know a great deal about the bedford tunnel but my gut instinct is that a brand new tunnel based on the latest design and technology (Skyventure) will ultimately be far more commercially viable than spending an "unknown" amount of money on an existing tunnel that was built for a different purpose (Bedford). Bedford might turn in to a money pit - whereas Skyventure is a known quantity and proven formula. It is designed to be efficient, it is designed for the sole purpose of flying people.

Also Skyventure will have access to cheap electricity because of its siting at Xscape leisure park in Milton Keynes and ofcourse tourists! The place is already crawling with snowboarders, climbers etc.

So, if you want to see a quality tunnel in the UK then visit http://www.skyventure.co.uk for more information, get your wallet out and buy some shares. If you think a tunnel would do good here then it may prove to be a great investment for you. You could be a founding shareholder of the first UK wind tunnel!!

Ofcourse this is not investment advice, I could be talking bollocks, do your own research .. my opinion is completely and utterly biased because I have already applied for a few shares in Skyventure UK.

:-)

James

But on the other hand.....we could have two tunnels in the UK before the end of the season !!B|

Talk about all or nothing...!!!

Two tunnels both within my striking distance of a midweek afternoon off work ....sorted !

Ahhh nuts these wind tunnels are going play havoc with my canopy control.....I'll be pulling off zillion point dives and landing ...lets see...about a mile away from the DZ.....lol;)

so you work for Sky venture :D

I was just saying, the bedford tunnel is built. Its already there. They are changing the motor though i think. The point it, its already there, and the investments already made.

I dont mind what gets built, as long as we finally get a tunnel here. I do think though, with our limited market, there will probably only be room for one. Buit who knows, only time will tell.

I don't "work" for Skyventure - and never have - but I have read their prospectus, seen where they're going to site the tunnel, quizzed their MD and subsequently thought it made enough sense to apply for some shares.

I originally thought the Bedford tunnel sounded exciting so I emailed them a bunch of questions but I didn't get a response :-/

> the bedford tunnel is built. Its already
> there. They are changing the motor
> though i think. The point it, its already
> there, and the investments already made.

What do you mean the investment is already made? Have they definately got enough cash together to convert the facility in to one suitable and safe enough for human flight? I am **guessing** the conversion will cost a few million. If you have some info here that would be great.

There is a reason why Virgin Atlantic don't fly to and from America etc in World War 2 planes. Sure, you could probably make WW2 planes do it, convert them, sure. But the reality is they use modern planes because costs are known, maintenance is low, they're more efficient in design, more comfortable - and quickly work out to be more cost effective.

Just because there is a some form of tunnel at Bedford already it doesn't mean it's going to be any less expensive to get up and running than to build a new one. What's more - the new one is will probably have lower running costs because of modern efficiencies of design.

Like you say, who knows, only time will tell!

What were they using a vertical tunnel for in WWII? IOW what was the tunnel used for previously?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

they were using it to train an elite squadron of cute 'lil German Shephard pups to skydive over Berlin....get into a 'doggie doughnut' down to 2K and then parachute into Hitlers Garden....
They were then going to take him and his staff out using a variety of paw operated weapons, hidden in their fur
Apparantly everything was a go...but they just couldnt get the hang of the freefall....so they got tunnel time.;)

(Edited: - Man Im bored........)