cvfd1399

What is the best pack medthod for a huge canopy

This canopy has a cord of 13 feet

Could you explain to me the difference in the cord for this canopy and the cord for another large canopy like an EZ-384?

The reason why I ask is I've been pro-packing tandems for a couple years now, the largest being an EZ-384, the smaller ones being Sigma 370s with no problems. I don't use a hook, just my shoulder and I flip the lines back into the middle after setting it down. With all of that I've never had any problems with line overs or linetwists, etc. Basically I consistantly have on heading, nice snivelly openings.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree with Aggie... I'm not a big guy... 5'9" and I have no problem packing EZ's over the shoulder.

I started in the sport as a packer (ended up packing my own tandem jumps) and my rigger first taught me how to flat pack. You learn a little more about the shape and design of the canopy flatpacking, and how the lines and material are configurated, which will help you not pack malfunctions when you pro-pack. IMO

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

This canopy has a cord of 13 feet

Could you explain to me the difference in the cord for this canopy and the cord for another large canopy like an EZ-384?

The reason why I ask is I've been pro-packing tandems for a couple years now, the largest being an EZ-384, the smaller ones being Sigma 370s with no problems. I don't use a hook, just my shoulder and I flip the lines back into the middle after setting it down. With all of that I've never had any problems with line overs or linetwists, etc. Basically I consistantly have on heading, nice snivelly openings.B|

It is a 7 cell with less aspect ratio then a large 9 cell. The span is 28.5 feet. If you pro pack it over your shoulder you will have over half the canopy piled up on the ground. If you are 6 feet tall and say 5 feet at the shoulder that leaves 8 feet of canopy on the ground.
The manufacture recommends a flat pack which is always something to consider.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky, i believe there might be a miscalculation in your theory. I talk with respect here, and i'm simply suggesting this, not attacking you, i will gladly take a correction.

If you were to flat pack, you could measure the canopy from nose to tail, and it would measure 13 feet - The cord. When you pro-pack, the whole parachute is compressed. The nose is inbetween you knees, and the tail is on or close to the ground (on sucha big beast).

I put a picture on here, maybe it will clarify things.

I'm simply saying that the cord does not fit in the calculation directly, but very inderectly. A shorter packer is more concerned with the distance from the A line attachment point to the tail, which would still be compressed because of the tension on the B, C and D lines. Makes sense? It will be a very complicated formula to work out the distance.

I can pro pack a 400 without it touching the floor. The A line attachment points are at my shoulders, but I can do it. If I can, anyone roughly my size can (a couple or three inches aren't gonna make any difference)

As for the wingspan, I dont see how that comes into play except for adding to the volume of material inbetween attachment points.

Does my response make sense?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Bert,
You are probably right. I jump a 245 sq. ft. 7 cell and I know it is more trouble then its worth to try and pro pack. I am sure the MT-1X can be pro packed but it is much easier to flat pack.:P
I looked on several sites for the cord/span of some of the larger Tandem canopies but could not find any. A 2 foot difference in the cord would make a big difference in how easy it would be.
Michael

Flat Pack Only
I would recommend against rolling and stuffing the nose in the center cell. You can easily have a >1000' snivel. If you dump at 3k, you really want to find yourself at 1,800' wondering "if?"

Tell you what, you get really good at flat-packing and you can pack them just as fast as a pro-pack.

Everytime I pack mine, I crack up. Seems like it takes twice as long to get the bastard in the pack tray and closed up than it did to pack it. ;)

Really, please consider flat-packing it. It can be pro-packed, but its a hassle. I'm 6'6" and everything beyond the "C" lines drags the ground.

Here is a quote from Bill Booth on flat packing large canopies.

Most people who FLAT PACK my tandem canopies go 1,000's of jumps between partial malfunctions. The record is 7,500 between malfunctions at Skydive Las Vegas. Skydive Chicago, and certain military groups, reported similar results. Most DZ's who PRO PACK their tandems have 'functions every few hundred jumps. This differential between malfunction rates, Pro pack vs. flat pack, only seems to occur when packing large canopies.

Take it for what its worth.
Sparky

Flat pack it is. I always look at the pro pack and wonder on such large of a canopy can you really be sure that the slider is all the way down and quartered right after you saran wrap it and lay it down. Also it seems that some of the canopy can get into the outside lines easily after you wrap it all up swing it around and lay it down to fold it up. After you close it up and roll it you can't see it anymore. Seems you are going on faith that everything is how you set it. I would like to see everything is still where it needs to be throughout more of the process. I am shiny new to packing so I might be worrying about something for nothing. That is just how I see it from a my point.

Flat pack it is. I always look at the pro pack and wonder on such large of a canopy can you really be sure that the slider is all the way down and quartered right after you saran wrap it and lay it down. Also it seems that some of the canopy can get into the outside lines easily after you wrap it all up swing it around and lay it down to fold it up. After you close it up and roll it you can't see it anymore. Seems you are going on faith that everything is how you set it. I would like to see everything is still where it needs to be throughout more of the process. I am shiny new to packing so I might be worrying about something for nothing. That is just how I see it from a my point.

Chad,
Your packing CD in in the mail.
Sparky