sdgregory

45 Degree Rule

No...Do a search, this topic has been beat to death. Kallend has a website that explains freefall drift etc...that clicky has links to the resources.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

also on his website should be instructions on how to simulate the 45 degree rule using his simulator. Billvon also had a thread with pics that disproved the 45 degree rule too. Very informative
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Kallend is the white Devil!! He be trying to control yo mind, girl! You BEST abide by the 45!

I VOTE YES!!

Is the sarcasm thick enough or must I be a cliche?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I think his interpretation of the rule is wrong. The way he explains it a feather would break the rule.
You need to wait till after the forward throw and some time have passed then no matter what object left the airplane it will end up 45 degrees from the aircraft. Its longer than you think but Kallend quit looking.:S
Look at this way: If you drop a bomb out the bomb bay of a B52 at 50,000' eventually the aircraft will travel far enough to be 45 degrees from the bomb.
The way Kallend did his little experimennt was wrong.
OK. Flame away.

You are correct that a feather will pass the 45 degree angle. It all has to do with the ratio of descent rate vs the speed of the aircraft. A skydiver may eventually cross the 45 degree line. But it may happen after he's opened or maybe after he's smacked into the planet. Or it might happen after the plane has started to descend. Who cares? What matters here is that the 45 degree rule does not have any meaning when it comes to safe separation of skydivers. That is what kallend and billvon and many others have proven over and over and over again. 45 degrees is useless for determining timing between groups. Do you disagree?

Dave

The 45º "rule" most likely came from people that could quite accurately watch the group before them to judge distance and gauge proper seperation but had poor understanding of geometry and thus pulled 45º out of their ass.

Then people with a slightly better grasp of geometry but a poorer sense of proper exit seperation took 45º to be some magic angle they should look for when timing their exit.

This 45º idea has led to many discussions and has been pretty thouroughly debunked. I'd hope most dropzones understand that the best way to gauge exit separation is by ground speed of the aircraft on jump run, and other general wind conditions.