opurt

Running and Skydiving

Are there any significant numbers of skydivers who are runners? Is running compatible with skydiving? It seems like skydiving involves a non-trivial number of leg injuries that could immobilize a person for a while.

I do jog on a regular basis and I wouldn't want to give that up. I'm a whuffo currently doing risk analysis on all this before I think about trying to get involved. I've been reading this forum a lot, did the "per million hour" calculations, and look at all the safety- and skydiving-related sites I can. I have my own ideas on this topic, but was curious to get some skydivers' takes on the issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any input :)

Is running compatible with skydiving? It seems like skydiving involves a non-trivial number of leg injuries that could immobilize a person for a while.

Out of nearly 14 years in the sport, i've hurt an ankle 1 time bad enough to immobilize me. To be quite frank, there are injuries, but just like any other sport, you don't hear about the times a person doesn't injure themselves.

Non-incidents aren't reported. I've driven a million miles and was in 1 car wreck. What part of that career do you think will be remembered?

Any way, it's just another sport. Runners are also skiers, Mountain bikers, golfers, chess players... you get the idea :)
By the way I'm not a runner, but I play one on landing sometimes.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Funny thing... I run because it makes me a better skydiver. Keeps the weight down, strength up and helps with the flexibility. Honestly, I can't stand running but do like the way I feel after I'm done. I have only injured myself once skydiving and it was caused by a combination of wet grass and a gopher hole... other wise know as S$#@ happens. I was mad because I couldn't skydive but thought "Oh Well, at least I don't have to run for awhile :P

Like any sport you increase your risk of injury by participating but its a sport well worth the risk. If you follow your training and stay conservative with your parachute choice your risk of leg injury is really quite low. Most leg injuries involve high performance canopies with much higher landing speeds.

My jump numbers aren't big, but in 10 years, I sprained my ankle once....on jump #87 when I accidentally :$ landed downwind...:o

Peace~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I jog and hope to run a marathon within ~18 months. Granted I only have 23 skydives, but so far, I really don't see how participating in both activities would be much of a problem.

There are a lotta military guys on here who I'm sure jog from time to time. Also...tunaplanet I know jogs a lot.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

I do jog on a regular basis and I wouldn't want to give that up. I'm a whuffo currently doing risk analysis on all this before I think about trying to get involved.

Donlt think so hard. start skydiving. you'll soon find you won't want to run on a sunny saturday...

i've got one injury in 1000+ jumps and 5+ years... Although I was injured and out for a while 3 times playing volleyball and twice skiing... in about the same time frame.

everything is a risk. skydiving is worth it or we all wouldn't be here.
just be smart with it as you learn.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

You'll love this.

The closest thing I have to a skydiving injury... I did running.

Ovulsion fracture at the ankle. I did it running to the plane along the grass tarmac, I rolled my ankle.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Well I have dislocated my knee (hyper extension) and sprained my ankle 5 times, badly enough to permanently damage the ligaments... and none of those were skydiving related.

I DO suggest though that for a successful running career you avoid sprinting down a street with a 160lb friend on your back...:o at 3AM:S pissed off your face :D as that can be quite damaging!!:P

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Most of the military folks who are skydivers are runners by default - part of the profession. Skydiving teams run a lot . . . I see them running together early in the morning before showering up and heading out to train.

I have been in the Army for 20 years, and have always run because I had to. About three years ago I shifted that, and ran because I wanted to. in 2002/2003 I ran 5 races including my first marathon.

I was training for my second marathon in February and got sidelined with achilles' tendonitis. After a couple of months of meds, physical therapy, and rest I am easing back into running again Monday. This injury has not kept me from jumping though.

I have been injured to the point of being grounded twice in skydiving . . . twice in running too. Not bad for 20 years IMHO.
Arrive Safely

John

I have run during my entire jumping career. In the last 15 years I have completed 12 marathons, 7 Honolulu, 2 Maui, 1 Kona, 1 Phoenix, 1 Charlotte. After one of my Honolulu marathons I went to work at the DZ (Skydive Hawaii) and completed 12 tandems, this was a long hard day!!!

I have had one hard running landing that caused me to stop running for a year, stress fracture of the ball of my foot. This did not stop my jumping, just the running every day.

It is all about moderation, test your body, see what you can do safely, and listen to the aches and pains.

Good luck and have fun!!!
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

You'll love this.

The closest thing I have to a skydiving injury... I did running.

Ovulsion fracture at the ankle. I did it running to the plane along the grass tarmac, I rolled my ankle.

_Am

Good grief Andy, everytime I hear that, I laugh...:D:D:D...Anyway, many people skydive with minimal injuries for years/thousands of jumps...Unlike me....but that was completely my fault and as long as you do as you were trained to, you should be ok to run and jump...B|

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Running is an excellent "winter sport" complement to skydiving.
Running strengthens bones and ligaments, improves cardio-vascular capacity (handy on 12,500' jump runs), improves mental alertness, etc. all of which make you a better skydiver.
The more physically fit you are, the less likely you are to injure yourself skydiving.
I competed in cross country running during my first 10 years of skydiving. Then I herniated a spinal disc - lifting rocks - and the doctor told me to quit running.
Now I bike every day and swim whenever I can.
In 27 years of skydiving I have only suffered one spained ankle that interfered with my skydiving. I sprained that ankle while stalling my Strato-Star onto the disc at night, a practice laughed at today!
Hint, Strato-Stars fell out of production something like 25 years ago.

Im 6 months into my pregnancy,:)

Running is how I stay fit .I had to stay fit and it helped me look good in my jumpsuit. ;)

Still doing my jogging at 6 months into my pregnancy I can only go 2 though because my baby is over a pound now and it starts to hurt my legs REAL bad after 2 miles. Good luck to you sir.

I've always been a runner and I've been skydiving for 18 years. I've only hurt my ankle once during that whole time due to an awkward landing and still didn't break anything. It took me out of action for a couple weeks but nothing serious. I'd say you can't live life on the sidelines and be scared of what might happen. I love to run and skydive. I wouldn't give up one for the other. If you skydive, just use your head and minimize the risk of getting hurt.

I am a former competitive marathoner and triathlete. You are far more likely to become injured from running than skydiving. I have had one injury from skydiving that required serious medical attention (broken thumb that needed surgery), but have had three injuries related to running that have required surgery and long term rehab.

Just go jumping, keep running and don't worry about it.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

First: awesome avatar. Bloom County was my life when it was in the papers...

Second: a list of my hobbies includes:

Skydiving (obviously #1)
Ice Hockey
Working out at the gym (5 days a week)

Everything I do requires me to be completely mobile, but everything I do has some "injury potential" associated with it. If I got hurt, my life would be REALLY boring until I was back up to full speed again. But I figure the options are:

1.) Enjoy the things I do, try to be as safe as I can, and deal with the injuries when (note I didn't say if) they happen;

OR

2.) Live in fear and not do the things I enjoy.

It all comes down to the old cliche about the differences between living and being alive.

Elvisio "better to live" Rodriguez

Hey all,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience and observations. This is another data point that lands in the 'for' column for trying skydiving B|

I was kind of expecting that experienced skydivers would say something like "Expect an immobilizing injury at least every other year." I was delighted to see many say exactly the opposite - they've had extensive skydiving careers and have seen and had very few immobilizing injuries. That "sense" is what I was looking for. I didn't hear any "Skydiving and running? Get real, the two just don't go together" -type input. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share some observations or experiences.

Of course, under no circumstances would I ever be lulled into complacency and accept the notion that skydiving is low-risk. My risk analysis has made that apparent. I guess everyone has their metaphor for skydiving. From my perspective, it seems skydiving is kind of like riding an irascible wind dragon. If one has a light touch and lots of respect, it'll provide one heck of a ride. If one doesn't respect it and what it can do, one day it will unexpectedly rear back and grab you in its jaws.

Pretty good metaphor from a whuffo, eh? B| Thanks again for the input! I'll keep you all posted on how my journey is going. Right now, I'm on the ground, looking in wonder at the sky while I imagine what it holds. If everything works out and this penguin-esque creature manages to get airborne and "ride the dragon", I know I'll be sharing that experience here :)

First: awesome avatar. Bloom County was my life when it was in the papers...

off-topic - Berkeley's back:
http://www.berkeleybreathed.com

I saw the first new images of the whole Bloom County crew - Milo, Steve Dallas, Binkley, Bill, Oliver - in like over a decade, in one of his strips recently. In the immortal words of Martha, it was a Good Thing (tm) B|