Kingkong

2002 in safety figures

I've just read the new 2002 safety & AAD reports from the IPC Technical & safety committee - pretty interesting stuff, especially after all the threads about "safe" or "not safe" in this forum...

The results in the 2002 report are based on information (some in exact numbers, some in estimates) from 33 countries (including the US) all over the world.

In 2002 a total of 357155 skydivers from 33 countries made 5769010 jumps. 73 of those jumps ended in fatalities. Wich means an average of 79028 jumps/fatality.

77% of the fatalities were students, 9% were intermediates, 13% were experts.

The biggest group of fatalities (33%) was in the category "fast canopies", followed by "other landing errors" at 19%. The third largest group (16%) was "no activation or too low activation of the main parachute".

By careful estimation, it appears that 94% (!) of the fatalities happened with the jumper having at least one good parachute on his or her back. 60% of the fatalities occurred after the successful deployment of the main parachute. Overall, 66 out of 73 fatalities "may have been caused by human error by skydivers".

In the last chapter of the report, the technical & safety committee make the following conclusion (this is for you, Ron... :)
"With human error being such a major factor in skydiving fatalities, the attention of all those involved in coaching and training, at international, national, regional and local levels should be focused on this issue."

Blue skies & soft landings,
O.J

The biggest group of fatalities (33%) was in the category "fast canopies", followed by "other landing errors" at 19%. The third largest group (16%) was "no activation or too low activation of the main parachute".

K, got a question or three. 22% of the fatalities were by intermediates and experts, but 33% of the fatalities were in the "fast canopies" category. Ummmm, so my question is: how's this mathmatically possible? This shows me that even if all of the fatalities of non-students were on fast canopies, then at least 11% of the student fatalities were on fast canopies.

What student program is putting students on "fast canopies?"

Am I missing something here?

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Do you know what they're classifying as a "student"? 77% is a lot higher than I would've expected.

Uhm... sorry. My fingers were faster than my brain on this one; here's what the report says:

"Fatalities breakdown by percentages, against jump made by each category, in 2002 in 27 countries only (excluding Czechrepublic, Netherlands, New Zeeland, Spain, Sweden and USA, as the percentage of jumps/category cannot be ascerted for these countries).
Students 77% of jumps (!) 30% of fatalities
Intermediates 9% of jumps, 15% of fatalities
Experts 13% of jumps, 56 (!) of fatalities"

(Mental note to self: think before writing!)
Sorry that I mesed that one up. The other figuerres should be correct, though.

I belive "a student" is anyone who is not a A, , B , C , D... (etc) licenceholder.

BSBD,
/O.J

Does the student category also include tandems? I assume so, otherwise I'd be amazed that students made 77% of all jumps.

If so, I'd be interested to know how much % of the student fatalities were people on RAPS/AFF as opposed to being on a tandem if that figure is available.
-----

Official 100 jump wonder

Umm...I think you misread somehow.

If you look at the report, it says that total fatalities were 73 worldwide...
15 were students
14 were intermediates
44 were experts.

That is NOT saying that 77% of fatalities were students!!
IF you calculate it correctly...
20.5% were students
19.5% were intermediates
60% were experts.

#1 cause of death was listed as "fast canopies"...twice the number of fatalities as the #2 cause of death, which is "other landings" (whatever that means)

I don't know where you got that students were 77% of the fatalities...but that's not accurate...

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I'd be amazed that students made 77% of all jumps.

Students made up 77% of all jumpers

They classified all jumpers with less than 15 jumps as
student, 16 to 250 as intermediate and 251 and above as expert.

OK, that makes much more sense!
-----

Official 100 jump wonder