sstovall

Unstable freefall

I'm a student with ten jumps going through a static line progression. I am preparing to repeat my ten second delay for the fifth time. My problem is that I can't seem to remember to keep my legs in one position to remain stable. Exits are generally good with a leg kick 3-5 seconds into the jump. This results in a heads down progressing to back to earth and finally complete tumble. I started using a jumpsuit instead of just shorts and this helped but didn't fix the prob. I am thinking about trying those cheap elastic knee braces, hoping the resistance to movement will make me more aware of my legs. Any thoughts on how to maintain my leg position? I have already bought a rig and don't want the 'bowling may be your calling' talk.

BTW I am doing hanging exits off a C-182.

Thanks and blue skies!
=
=
-some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain,
that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Eeep!! :| I have that jump coming up this weekend. I have been preparing for it by using a footstool at my house to practice my arch. Hopefully I will do fine. Good luck, I am sure some people much more qualified to give advice will post and help you out.

Greenie in training.

How close to Dallas, Houstoun, or college station are you? (I'm sure there's others)

Transition to AFF and you'll be fixed in no time.

Doing a 10 second delay 5 times and tumbling... 5 times... Is obviously not good.

Deploying a parachute unstable consistantly will eventually hurt you, or place you among the dead.

Go back to 5 seconds, or get off the staticline program.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How close to Dallas, Houstoun, or college station are you? (I'm sure there's others)

You mean Houston? ;) He's pretty far from any of these, Stanton's in west Texas. Honestly I don't know of any USPA dropzone in the area.

Trying AFF is probably a good idea. A friend of mine was having the same issue. His was due to just being overwhelmed with everything happening in such a short amount of time. He transitioned to AFF level 3 or 4 and did great. I think he only repeated one more jump prior to getting his A license.

He told me with the extra altitude he felt like he could just relax and the stability issue disappeared.

If it's the cost you're worried about, how much is it costing to repeat all those dives? You can always transition back to static-line progression if you wanted... That's one of the cool things about the Integrated Student Program.

I had a problem at that point too. I think it was my seventh 10-second jump where I finally got it.

I'm not sure what will fix it for you but just because you're stuck here doesn't mean you're a bowler at heart.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Kicking a little won't usually make you tumble, but bending at the waist or twisting at the waist will. I suspect that might be part of the problem. A lot of people do fine on short delays until they go to pull, then they forget to arch, twist at the waist to reach back, all kinds of little things that can make you roll. See if you can get more detailed feedback from your JM. Remember to ARCH, with your hips out and your shoulder blades back. Trust the arch on exit, and try to break the kick habit. When you pull, only your hands and arms should move. The rest of your body stays locked in that arch. Good luck, and if you could get to an AFF DZ, it might be money well spent. Don't give up. This sport is worth it. :)

I'd have to agree with the people telling you to try AFF. I remember my first few jumps everything seemed to happen so fast i barely had time to think and react. As I jump more everything seems to slow down and take longer. I did the AFF program myself and it would sometimes take me 3000 feet to fix something i couldn't imagine trying to do that with only 10 seconds delay. I bet the extra freefall time would be exactly what you need to correct any problems.
Do keep in mind though that I'm a pretty inexperienced jumper myself and there are many people a lot more qualified than me to give advice!! But talk to the instructors at your DZ I'm sure they would be best qualififed to recommend a course of action that would work for you since they are the ones wathcing you jump.

Take care and good luck.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Due to the unreliable west tex weather and my work schedule I don't get to jump as often as I would like or need to. Does anyone think wind tunnel time would help? Like I said my work schedule is a little hectic so I would have to do it in one or two days and travel about nine hours to the nearest tunnel. Is it worth it?

Thanks!
S
=
=
-some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain,
that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

in my opinion the tunnel is worth it for AFF students...i travelled from the otherside of the world and my stability and relaxation problems in freefall were a thing of the past...
however my exits still leave a lot to be desired and the tunnel entry procedure does not really replicate the exit from the plane....but it sure does make gettting stable afterwards easy...
good luck...
tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Due to the unreliable west tex weather and my work schedule I don't get to jump as often as I would like or need to. Does anyone think wind tunnel time would help? Like I said my work schedule is a little hectic so I would have to do it in one or two days and travel about nine hours to the nearest tunnel. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes
Tunnel time may solve your stability problem. The trick is phoning ahead to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee: Orlando, Florida or Perris Valley, California) to reserve tunnel time before you make the long dive. While you are on the phone, ask them to schedule an AFF instructor to teach you in the tunnel.