panzwami

what to expect at a coach's rating course

I'm taking a coach course soon, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what to expect, especially on the air skills portion of the course.

Is there anything that can be done to prepare for the course? Obviously I'll be reading the SIMs and IRMs, but is there anything else that I should be doing? Thanks for the advice.

Matt
-----

Air skills should go right along with Category G and H of the ISP.Do a couple of them with a buddy. Watch what your buddy does. You have to be able to remember the jump from exit till deployment so you can debrief.Be well rested,a couple of long days.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

It was more intense than I had expected. Only 60% of us passed without any additional jumps. Read the SIM well, be critical and throughout with your feed-back, and just relax in the air. If you have fun while bing evaluated you'll probably make less mistakes. If you do make one ACKNOWLEDGE it! It is human to make mistakes but it is not acceptable for a coach or any instructor not to be aware of them.
Memento Audere Semper

Work on category G and H jumps. Do some mirror dives with an instructor where you basically match his position as he slides and changes fall rate. The idea is to be able to both stay with a student and to know if the other person is moving around and why.

Offer a solid debrief of each practice dive.

Teach a few segments of the first jump course using the four step teaching process and become comfortable and confident as a presenter. Write down what you do so you have lesson plans for various teaching blocks.

Read the SIM and the Coach part of the IRM. Know the ISP and the BSR's.

Be over-prepared and then relax at the course and have fun.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Coach Course Director
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

As a CCD, I'll tell you this: Time management is a crucial key to getting through my courses. This is especially prevalent when you get into the ground prep sections. You need to be familiar with the material, and able to teach the sections without doing too much on-site research.

Time management is stressed because none of the skills being taught by coaches should take too long to teach. If you spend all day teaching something, your student will likely forget what you've taught them, or be confused. Teach using the applicable methods, be specific, stick to a plan, and don't try to teach too much at once...

Read up and you'll do well!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Have index cards that have your lesson plan on them. I had them laminated and hole punched in the upper corner, then put them on a rig so I could flip through them. I used the same cards that I made for when I was going through the AFF JM course. On them I wrote what I would teach, starting with the landing area, if there were any obstacles to be aware of in the landing area and wind direction. Then on to the gear, letting the student explain and inspect the gear. Then to canopy, freefall, and aircraft emergencies. Then I would teach the dive flow. Keep the cards with you, so you don't miss anything till you get into some kind of routine for teaching. Teach it the same way every time so you learn not to forget anything.
Give a good debrief so the student knows what they did good and what they need to work on. If the student had problems, show they how to fix it, keeping it simple. If the student did well and is going to the next level, and won't be jumping that same day, show them the dive flow so they can practice it. Always end you debrief on a good note. Remember to sign the log book, and put in enough information for the next person that will be working with the student.
Good luck.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

In addition to what Tom, Ryan & Mar had to say, I'd like to add that we put on a very intense gear check "Gig" row.

First we have riggers teach you about all the possible screw-ups. Then you go through the gauntlet.

Five folks in a room with gig rigs (or maybe not on one or two, but multiple on others) - you have five minutes. If you miss three minors or one major gig - you're out, done, gone, pack up, leave.

P.S. If anyone chooses to do this - we red flag the rigs, write all the gigs down for that particular rig, the Instructor wearing it maintains the gig list for that particular rig and when gig row is over, has to resolve the gigs. Then, all "gigged" rigs go through a rigger's inspection.

P.P.S. One year - after the zip-tie on the reserve handle incident, we incorporated that into the gig row without telling the Coach candidates. All of them found it; there were a couple of "Holy Shits" and a couple of folks who pointed it out, but didn't understand. We asked them.."OK, what would you do if you came across something that you didn't understand." They replied, "I'd get an Instructor or rigger to look at it." Pass - move on.

After gig row, we explained. They were like; "Really?!?!? that actually happened?" yup.

The result of this is - you would be surprised at how many new Coaches start doing "Secret Agent" gear checks on everyone on the plane.

All of what has been said is right on. Remember that you are being evaluated in all areas. Know the BSRs, FARs, and SIM very well before you get there. You are evaluated on ground prep, gear up, gear check, ride to altitude, exit, free fall, canopy, landing, debrief, and intagibles (presentation, confidence, etc.). It is a lot but you can do it if you are prepared. If you have done the G and H dive preps and in-air stuff on the prof. card before you get to the course you will be saying "I have done this already, I can do it again" and you will be much more relaxed. Hi Mar, hope to see you at the convention again this year!

I will concur with the posts thus far. Most candidates stress themselves out way too much with the evaluations which in turn lead to mistakes or oversights. I stress to the candidates to have checklists and USE THEM for the ground preps and air evaluations. This will assist with keeping you on track resulting in better time management as well. As MY skydiving mentor says, " tell em what they need to know"

I'll reinforce the knowledge of the SIM, IRM, and FAR/AIM. As well, work with and pick the brains of current coaches and AFFI's as they have been through it.

Enjoy your course and best of luck.

Alan Fitzsimmons
USPA Coach Course Director

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

Tim, great to see you posting here. As for WFFC, I'm planning on being there. But since you're such a "skygod" now, you don't have time to jump with me :P I just hate seeing the little babies grow up and move on:(
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If your coach course was anything like mine, expect a weekend of sheer hell.

One of the lectures you'll be given on is on how people learn. One of the points they'll cover is that you can't teach for extended periods of time and expect students to learn. IIRC, they mention 90 minutes.

In my coach course, the lecture where they told us not to teach for more then 90 minutes.... was 4 hours long.

Excrutiatingly boring and frustrating, both at the same time. When I got home I was utterly completely drained, do the point that I doubt I'll ever get another USPA rating.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

In my coach course, the lecture where they told us not to teach for more then 90 minutes.... was 4 hours long.

Sorry to hear that. I actually attended a BIC where one of the presenters rambled for about an hour saying nothing. One of the candidates raised his hand and asked him "with all due respect" how his lecture related to the 90-20-8 rule. It was a quick reminder to the presenter that he had failed.

I love the "How People Learn" block and always cover it in less than 90 minutes with a change of pace at 20 minutes, and class participation at least every 8 minutes. Those elements are even built into my outline and I show that to the class. If done well it becomes a great demonstration of the process.

Sorry to hear your Coach Course wasn't so well managed. I hope you mentioned it to the director and filled out a comment card for USPA.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Coach Course Director
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy