shorehambeach

No hackey at pull time = reserve ride

I don't have much grief teaching students one procedure, except I'd be dead if I cutaway from a PC in tow.

Of course I was taught, like I expect Jerry and the others, to through the reserve (chest) down and out in the direction of the spin.B|

But I don't like it. If his reserve had malfunctioned he would have already cutaway is only other good parachute.

He did fine. Did what he was trained and for students that training is okay. But I hate people that think "pulling silver" (I HATE THAT PHRASE!) is the answer to everything. Using their last chance to live. When you need it you need it. That's fine. And too many people don't use it soon enough. But there seems to be a cavalier attitude with newer jumpers, who already don't think they can die because they have an AAD.

The DZ I grew up at and trained at for a long time used SOS systems so didn't have to worry about more than one EP on student gear. But some of the transition training from RC to throw out and to two handle system was scary. Never could get one asshole from telling newbies to roll over and pull in a PC in tow before pulling the reserve.>:(

This brings back to mind the days when people used to buy matching sets of canopies for main and reserve. Hmm, including one demo team routinely on dz.com.;) Until I pointed out that if they had an inadvertent reserve deployment, and it malfunctioned, they might want to know if it was the main or reserve so they didn't cut away their still packed main, the last good canopy they had.:o

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

Never could get one asshole from telling newbies to roll over and pull in a PC in tow before pulling the reserve.>:(

The reason I teach to "chop" the total is because my DZO tells me to. Fine. It's their DZ, their student program. Why didn't your DZO curb Mr. Moron teaching that crap?
:S

normiss

I did this once.

Rode my motorcycle to the dz with the rig on my back.
;)

First reach, I knew instantly.
I reached inside the BOC and retrieved it.

Never again. ;)

riding a motorcycle with a parachute on your back is the smartest thing I've ever heard, what could go wrong? :S

You sound like a whuffo. What do you think will happen? One of your parachutes will explode off your back and rip you off the bike in an instant? Thats ridiculous. There is no reason a handle would get pulled or a closing loop would break. But if it did not much would happen and you could pull over and stop on a bike in about two seconds.
Now, getting to the dz, going up in the plane and getting out without a single gear check; that's fucking stupid. Really stupid. I would have given him the bowling speech.

JohnMitchell

riding a motorcycle with a parachute on your back is the smartest thing I've ever heard, what could go wrong? :S

It beats getting to the DZ and not having a rig to jump. :P

And how else do you stop the bike when you get there?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

ShotterMG

You sound like a whuffo. What do you think will happen? One of your parachutes will explode off your back and rip you off the bike in an instant? Thats ridiculous. There is no reason a handle would get pulled or a closing loop would break. But if it did not much would happen and you could pull over and stop on a bike in about two seconds.
Now, getting to the dz, going up in the plane and getting out without a single gear check; that's fucking stupid. Really stupid. I would have given him the bowling speech.

you sound timid and quiet. If you find you have a hard time REALLY expressing your opinions, you might try to be more direct and not worry so much about being insulting...

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants