kallend

Texas State Record?

It appears as if this is all the news that is fit to print.

http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=8575ac7f95a35ab1

Chuting for record

By Cristy Loftis
The Facts

Published August 21, 2004
ROSHARON — Watch out for falling whackers and zippers this weekend.

One hundred fifty skydivers began jumping Friday morning at Skydive Spaceland in an attempt to break the Texas record of a 125-person formation in the sky, set last year. They will make 15 jumps this weekend.

Houston resident Tom Jenkins has made about 11,000 jumps in his 26 years of skydiving and is confident the mark will fall this weekend.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sat. night...I just got home from Spaceland..

They didn't get it yet...but came pretty close on the last tries of the day.

Weather here is in & out...couldn't get the altitude for a few of the attempts...and even rode the birds down once.

If the sky is good tomorrow...the talent is there!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well, how about today? From the looks of things, near Galveston, it looks like they received quite of bit of rain today.....
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
---

No...they didn't get the 150 they were shooting for.

Weather problems all weekend.

I got a call from Sparky as he was getting ready to
start the drive back to the Left Coast...he said the attempts
this morning were rushed and the rain holds finally
caused a delay of game...

NEXT TIME!!

Yep. We got 20,000 feet both attempts today, and no go. The first one was quite close with a couple of very minor problems. The second one, well, the explanation was that aliens took over some of the people. It was probably the ugliest dive of the weekend, and I was glad to see the first pilot chute go so I could go ahead and track.

On the other hand, a good time was had by all, and I learned plenty. Not to mention that the organizers did a good job, as did the volunteers.

Adding: The sad thing is that we've had great weather just about all of the weekends between June and now, with the last two being particularly spectacular. Weather in the 80's, just the right breeze, blue skies -- we shoulda emailed everyone and and told them it was being bumped up a week :ph34r:

And there were no incidents, injuries, or malfunctions. Well, except for someone hitting a power line the day before it all started, and knocking out power for about 1/2 hour. No injury, and a small hole in the main that was repaired as soon as power came back on.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

:( As Wendy mentioned, we didn't get it although on the second to last attempt we only had 8-9 out. Only actually got 10 formation jumps due to weather.

Made a lot of new friends with jumpers from Canada, Mexico, Uraguay, Russia, Netherlands and the US.

Many thanks to organizers and team captains Jack Berke, Tom Jenkins, Rob Laidlaw, Harry Hopkins, Larry Henderson, Ryan Smith, Bill Legaurd and Jim Jenkins.

Rob announced that Dallas is already planning for a 2005 attempt.

Blue skies,

Jim

Yea Mar, hope in 1 hand and don't show in the other and see what happens........missed ya!;) We actually only had 10 attempts, 1 plan B 20 way from each plane and 1 round trip flight>:(! knife started getting sharp Saturday. Good news, only injury that I'm aware of was a door strike in my plane that caused a slight concussion and some serious bruising on the upper arm, sat out Satuday and returned for the 2 jumps Sunday. No cypres fires or reserve rides or other injuries other than pride.

I'm so sorry I couldn't make it. After having just returned from my long road trip (made 100 skydives after being to SkyFest, SummerFest, and WFFC), I needed some down time before heading out on Wednesday for the 50/50 Way Event.

I'm sorry you all didn't get a new record, but at least no one got hurt bad enough for a hospital stay.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

:( As Wendy mentioned, we didn't get it although on the second to last attempt we only had 8-9 out. Only actually got 10 formation jumps due to weather.

Made a lot of new friends with jumpers from Canada, Mexico, Uraguay, Russia, Netherlands and the US.

Many thanks to organizers and team captains Jack Berke, Tom Jenkins, Rob Laidlaw, Harry Hopkins, Larry Henderson, Ryan Smith, Bill Legaurd and Jim Jenkins.

Rob announced that Dallas is already planning for a 2005 attempt.

That's tough. It really sucks when an event is badly affected by weather, especially for those who have come a long way and spent a lot on air fares and hotels. Been there, done that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

but at least no one got hurt bad enough for a hospital stay.

No JUMPERS anyway!!:)
My youngest got hit in the face with a giant mud clod
at the swimming hole...[:/]

I spent Sat. afternoon in the emergency room with him.

Bad part is...
everyone there said ADULTS were throwing mud at
the dozen or so kids swimmimg.>:(

Not to forget the jumpers from Norway and Germany ;)
Even without getting the record it was an amazing weekend!
Thanks to all volunteers on the ground, the pilots, the organizers and all the jumpers I had the opportunity to jump with.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!