prepheckt

FAA spot checking reserve repack cards?

A few years ago my old DZ was having problems with the airport manager who didn't want us skydiving on the airport. He was constantly doing things to try to make us miserable.

One day the plane full of 19 jumpers was just pulling away from the loading area and an FAA helicopter landed right in from of it blocking the path. The FAA guys made everyone get out of the plane and they checked everyone's reserve data cards as well as all of the pilot's paperwork. We were all kosher so they left. Airport manager was hiding off to the side the whole time laughing. Not sure what he told the FAA to get them to do that but he sure got their panties in a bunch.

-OK

Good PR for a DZ isn't just about advertizing your tandems. It's about maintaining good relations with the community, including the local FSDO and ATC folks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Good PR for a DZ isn't just about advertizing your tandems. It's about maintaining good relations with the community, including the local FSDO and ATC folks.

I couldn't agree more except that in this case it had more to do with the airport manager not getting the kickbacks from the dzo that he was asking for. When the dz refused to pay he decided it was time to run us off the airport. He won and the dropzone no longer operates at that location.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Keep in mind the jumpers can also face fines, as can the drop zone, the owners of the airplanes, and anybody else involded in the operation.

Thanks for bringing this up and for your earlier reply. I know of a case where a non-pilot jumper was fined a $1000 and another where a pilot jumper had their privileges suspended for 90 days with no fine. In both cases no action was taken against the pilot or anyone else. I'm also aware of situations where punative actions were directed at the pilots with none against the violating jumpers.

As many have stated, it doesn't have to make sense or be fair, and those involved are guilty until proven innocent.

Bob

Left before anyone got on the plane and showed up after everyone was already packed. He couldn't of checked reserves because its not against the rules to have an out of date rig just sitting around.

that's where i got the idea ... don't walk back in if you're rig is out of date. there is no reason to "warn" anyone right after the jump, since presumably the rig can not be out of date since you just jump it. the second quote is pretty much self explanatory as well.

i might got the wrong impression, but that's the one i got.

stan

My post had nothing to do with jumping out of date reserves in the sense you are thinking. Our DZ maintains a list of everyones reserve date to make sure everything is legit. My point was only in that it would of been stupid for the FAA guy to get all finicky and start checking reserves if no one was on, around, or just comming down from off the plane.

In our case he was just being a pain in the ass and holding up jump operations for what we considered a long period of time after we had already been delayed that day.

just as an fyi
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

There are several DZO's out there that do not comply with FAR's so, if you do comply why the attitude.

As far as the demo delay goes, was the correct paperwork completed and filed?

Do you know who is required to pack the main canopy regardless of who owns the rig. That is a FAR not a BSR.

Spot checks or "ramp checks" are done often. Want to play, pay the dues, follow the rules. No big deal unless..............

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

There are several DZO's out there that do not comply with FAR's so, if you do comply why the attitude.

As far as the demo delay goes, was the correct paperwork completed and filed?

Do you know who is required to pack the main canopy regardless of who owns the rig. That is a FAR not a BSR.

Spot checks or "ramp checks" are done often. Want to play, pay the dues, follow the rules. No big deal unless..............

On the demo delay, it was that the inspector was trying to match rigs with owners. Not a requirement, yet it sounded like he was getting pretty aggressive about it. Once again, field people adding their own interpretation to the rules, one that was never intended.

And really, landing an FAA helicopter in front of a moving jump plane to stop them and check paperwork. Doesn't that strike you as a little over the top, like they've been watching SWAT on TV too much?

I still maintain that our repack cycle could be longer, and that a rig does not go from safe to dangerous overnight, at 121 days, merely from legal to illegal. My feverent wish is that people would not confuse following rules with being safe. You need to do both. I try to. :)

I got ramp checked in my Pitts S2A at Morristown,New Jersey airport in 1987. They checked my emergency parachute and then one in the passenger seat. As well as my personal documents and aircraft paperwork. He was actually quite shitty until he found out that I was a Police officer and then he wanted to sidestep his piss poor attitude.I have since been checked over 5 times at various airports throughout the country.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Unless you are boarding an aircraft or are already on one, your gear is personal property and the FAA has no authority to check it any more than they would have the authority to go through you back pack.
I have refused to show a packing data card twice without repercussions. Both times my gear was not on the ramp or in the plane.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals