Phillbo

ISP-vs-AFF

The USPA's ISP *is* AFF. The ISP created the ability to switch between training methods in the middle of the training method to move to a method that will better suit the student. Tandem progression to AFF, pure AFF, SL/IAD, it also set out the Coach Jumps criteria.

I'm assuming that you're asking about the tandem progression vs. pure AFF, then?

There are some people that are anti-tandem progression. Most of these folks did a straight AFF program as students and its all they've seen. Some have seen poorly implimented tandem progressions and haven't seen what it can properly do.

The DZ I jump at offers all methods of instruction, but our most popular by far is the tandem progression. It saves the student money (a few hundred dollars) and students tend to learn MUCH faster and have much better canopy control earlier by learning hands on during the first two jumps with training tandem jumps.

So the moral of the story is what I've seen is that 1. Students save a few hundred bucks, 2. Students learn their in air skills faster and more efficently, and 3. Student's canopy control is much better earlier in the student progression.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm totally with Aggie Dave here....I used to be a hard-core AFF is better type AFF Instructor.......until we started offering Tandem Progression....Now our TP students do much better, save money, are more relaxed , almost never have to repeat any jumps, & unstable deployments have become very nearly non-existant.
We still offer "pure" AFF for people who really just want to "do it themselves" right from the Get Go, Or just cannot stand Tandem for some reason..including homo-phobes, he-man types & people who have that freaky thing going on about other people touching them.....

Reminds me of some of our students at Hemet, California.
The vast majority of them only did one tandem. Of those that decided to pursue a licence, most did two more training tandems then single-instructor freefall dives.
About one percent of our students insisted on only doing AFF. They tended to be macho types who were afraid of other guys touching them, etc.
Most of the pure AFF students were hopelessly over-loaded on their first jump and had to repeat a level or two.
Only a couple of Canadian DZs (in Ontario) offer first-jump PFF and the rest of us are stubbornly resisting the concept. I know that if my boss tells me to teach first-jump PFF, I will demand a large raise!

The USPA's ISP *is* AFF. The ISP created the ability to switch between training methods in the middle of the training method to move to a method that will better suit the student. Tandem progression to AFF, pure AFF, SL/IAD, it also set out the Coach Jumps criteria.

Actually, the ISP is AFF and/or AFP and/or S/l-IAD and/or tandem AND it is no longer about number of jumps as much as it is about categories. It's also about parsing out the learning over a greater number of dives with less performance-objectives per dive and therefore, less performance anxiety with more enjoyment of freefall.

It's about having the flexibility to use ANY instructional methodology at any point and use them over the course of 25 dives to get an "A" license and no longer think in terms of 5, 7, 10, 12 jump benchmarks.

It's about never having to "flunk" a student again, but merely encourage them on what needs to be done better within this category.

It's about all three instructional methodologies working in harmony to achieve the student's objective of becoming a skydiver. If a student is having difficulty with a Cat D dive within the AFF program, then handing them off to a TI for a one-on-one dive to correct. It's about being able to take the student that is having difficulty with canopy control and handing them off to an S/L Instructor and going to 7500' and just working the canopy.

It's about flexibility, safety, fun and retention. It's about changing hardline barriers into learning bridges.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.