crzjp20

dang i fall fast.....

Ok so i just graduated my AFF today and did 2 extra jumps for the heck of it. Well i soon reolized that i fall so freaking fast that it is rediculas!!!! So here is my question. I am looking to get a jump suit and i know i need to slow down so what shuld i look for and what are yalls expierences with falling to fast.

If all that makes any sence please feel free to give me your .02

Blue Skys
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Do a search, I have/had the same problem and chatted about it in the RW forum.

Basically, I got a Bev Suit with all the slowdown tricks except swoop cords. I weigh 250lbs and can fall at 110mph on my bell, although I can go 170mph on my belly as well;)

edit:

Meant to also tell you to get some good coaching, since that will make all the difference in the world, as well.

#1 Dress for success

Have a jumpsuit that compliments your speed and needs.

#2 Learn to fly

Getting good coaching (for instance, Skydive U) will help you learn how to fly your body well beyond what you think you can, which will translate into many things...for instance, level control.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

First, make sure you are falling as fast as you think. Do some coach jumps and have some people tell you if you're falling faster than they would expect. You might not be. We all fall pretty fast in this sport :P You can then do some things with your body position to learn to fly a little slower, and a coach can help you work on these things.

Second, if you do find you are falling to fast (i.e. faster than the average jumper), talk to a jumpsuit manufacturer and let them know you want to go slow. They can recommend some materials that help you fall slower, and they will make a jumpsuit that has more fabric than normal. The extra material will slow you down, but it will flap a lot.

There are additional modifications, like swoop cords that I don't recommend until you get some more jumps and experience. But if you have a body type that just falls fast, you can eventually add modifications like that which will help.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I would have to add that since you just graduated AFF.. stick to jumping with people who know how to match your fallrate and have the proper instructor ratings. A baggier jumpsuit definitely helps to slow you down.. however, I would just concentrate on staying as comfortable as possible in the air and letting the people you jump with match your fallrate. When you do your coach jumps they will introduce fall-rate control to you. For now.. just have fun and learn to relax.

It's pretty typical for students right off AFF to fall fast since arching is so important when you learn to skydive! Later on in the sport you will learn to fly your particular body shape. Right now just have fun and learn.

I know you're probably eager to buy a jumpsuit.. but I would just chill on that for a little bit till you know enough to figure out exactly what you want. (Unless you have extraodinarily expendible income, in which case, will you sponsor me?)

*Never mind.. BUY A FLITESUIT!!! I've had my flitesuit for three years now.. I go fast, slow, upside down, right side up, it sure can't be beat! (Am I off the shitlist Ray?)

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Basically, I got a Bev Suit with all the slowdown tricks except swoop cords. I weigh 250lbs and can fall at 110mph on my bell, although I can go 170mph on my belly as well;)

I did the same thing (Bev Suit), except I got the swoops as well. Very effective at slowing me down. Learning how to "hug the beachball" helped a lot too. Not that I'd try give you any advice, being a sub-100 jump wonder and all. ;)

yeah on my last 2 aff jumps we worked on flatening me ou a bit, and trying to hug the ball thpe of thing. It helped a bit, but i still droped like a rock.

Anyways

Blue SKys
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

heh... I know what you mean. A "slow-suit" would help, I'm sure. I also got a bit of coaching on how to fly a bit slower, that helped me too, talk to your instructors and ask who they'd recommend you work with, odds are one of them is probably the local expert. :)

I'm a fast faller........can hit 176 on my belly. I got a pollycotten Bev suit with swoop cords to slow me down.......but, the suit in and of itself, shouldn't be the "cure". I've been working on my fall rate in street cloths................feel that if you can fall slower without the aid of a suit............you're truly "flying" you body the way you want. My fall rate, in street clothes, is now in the high 120's and lower 130's......takes a while but with practice, you'll get there....I'm not quite where I want to be yet.........flying "flat" will eventually become natural.........just my opinion.

Something else that will help is going to a wind tunnel. Us big guys have to seriously hug the beach ball to get significant lift in a tunnel so a little time in there will help make it feel more natural.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

BUY A FLITESUIT!!! I've had my flitesuit for three years now..

FliteSuit did the trick for me too...
(I'm 6'0" 250 lbs, trying to get down to 230)
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth

I had the same problem coming off student status. With some help from your coaches you should be able to adjust your body position and become more comfortable in the air. They can teach you how to adjust your fall rate, just be patient. Like anything else it takes practice to improve. A good suit helped me as well, but the coaching has mad all the difference. That and getting as many jumps in as possible.
Blue ones
Jim