chineseknife

wanna jump, but am broke

Everyone started as a rookie.......

Learn how to pack well, and they will come find you.
I started packing student rigs when I had five jumps to help pay for mine...... then after a month or so of seeing me not create a bunch of malfunctions, some of the experienced jumpers started offering me money to pack theirs.....

:)Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Go to the DZ and hang out, talk to people, watch people...learn to pack and start packing for money. That's how I paid my way before I became an instructor.

That's exactly how my daughter Sarah paid for her tunnel time and AFF and still pays for jumps - And she jumps almost as much as I do. Also, since my supply of scrap metal dried up, that's how I pay for alot of my jumping now, too, along with the occasional coach jump, and hot fueling, etc.

Easy Does It

are people really going to want a rookie packing? and how long before you learned

I'd let my grandmother pack for me if I could figure out how to get her to do it. Packing sucks.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

are people really going to want a rookie packing? and how long before you learned

i had 5 jumps when i learnt to pack.
so far no mals or hard openings *knock on wood*
but anyone can learn. some DZ's have packers who haven't even made a skydive! so just ask and i'm sure someone will teach you.

My daughter learned at the tender age of 16. I jumped her first unassisted pack job. If you have good instruction (and I'm sure there are plenty of good teachers at your DZ) and reasonable confidence in yourself, there is no reason you can't do well. And I've never been to a DZ that had too many packers.

Easy Does It

> wanna jump, but am broke

I wanna jump and am broke too .. ! ..

BROKE in my tib, fib, foot, knee, ankle ..

:-/

Anyway. In all seriousness, if you want to jump more but have no cash - increase your income! You don't just *have* to go do it at the dropzone .. although that's of course cool. You can try and get a job that pays more .. or take another part-time job and put aside all the income from it for skydiving.

WORK HARD - PLAY HARD :-)

When I was an office manager at a DZ, there was a young kid that would come out and just hang out at the DZ. Every day he was there. He wanted to know all about the sport and couldn't get enough of it. He wasn't old enough to jump, so we taught him how to pack. After he was old enough to jump, he started jumping, and paid for all his student jumps off his packing account. He even got his USPA riggers rating.

Talk to the DZO and see what they can do for you. There are all kinds of jobs that need to be done at the DZ.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey