rainman

Wind tunnel - fear of height?

OK, so maybe this is a silly question, but I'm serious!

Does anyone have a fear of heights in a wind tunnel?

I would like to try a wind tunnel sometime, but do have a strong fear of heights...:S

Yes, I do have 200 jumps, yes, from a real airplane and no, my fear of heights doesn't bother me then :S:$[:/]B|:P;)

Thanks,
Rainman

I guess I have always been sort of afraid of heights. Not really any more now that I skydive. But, I have spent alot of time in the wind tunnel in Orlando and can't really remember ever feeling afraid of heights in it. You'd have to really screw up hard with 200 jumps worth of experience to fall and get hurt in the wind tunnel. Basically, don't sweat it.

PcCoder.net

Fear isn't logical like that.

Yes, when I first did the tunnel, there was some fear of heights involved. By the end of the session I was fine with it however. The fear was there again the 2nd time I did the tunnel as well.

i had a freind that was on a team with me, and after the first half hour he refused to go back in the tunnel. he was a big guy and had a hard time getting off the wire. it was also his first time with booties and he was all over the place. he kept fixating on the cement below and just couldnt relax.
the first time can be intimidating. aswell as extremely addictive!

Don't worry about it, you should be looking at your coach/instructor rather than the mesh below you.

I've never had a problem with the tunnel other than going up the stairs to get in where i start to get a bit of vertigo!!!

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

I used to HATE going up high in the tunnel, and I was scared - don't ask me why. Anyway, I got cured by one of my coaches on an Airspeed tunnel camp kept me up as high as I could go for a full 2 minutes and stood on the mesh moving his arms around to create a burble.

Since then I LOVE going up high and swooping down. One fun thing I did was with another coach where we went as high as we could go, then stood on the wall opposite each other, leant over, held hands and walked up higher. That was FUN!

I totally freak out in the tunnel. I made sure my coaches knew of my very real fear so generally we stayed close to the net. When we did got too high I really concentrated on looking at my coach. The time or two I freaked out I closed my eyes and ARCHED. Once I was back down I was ok.

Kirk and all the Airspeed guys were very considerate of my fear and by the time I left I really had a much better grasp on my fear too.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I get a natural fear of heights in the outdoor tunnels when I get up to say 25 feet above the net level or airbags.. but the indoor tunnels are different for me.. I don't have a fear at skyventure because apparently when the flight area is smaller than 20 feet, it's something I'm used to seeing visually. (same thing at flyaways)

It's like being able to know pull altitude without your altimeter.. you get used to the way it looks.. so you can learn to get used to the different heights using the same premise.