WhirledWeb

Surreal depth perception

I'm a brand new AFF Graduate, getting ready to start coaching. I've read quite a few topics about advice and stuff, and really appreciate all of the contributions on this forum.

Last week, I did my first "all by myself" jump (jump number 11 for me). It was a fairly quiet day at the DZ, and I was taken very good care of by the other experienced people going that load.

This was the first time I've been in the air with clouds in the sky lower than our exit altitude. I made sure to have a good visual of the DZ before exiting and the skydive went perfectly.

I was, however, amazingly - surreally - incredibly surprised when my mind was finally able to wrap itself around how fast I was falling - as I approached the altitude of the clouds near the DZ (about 6k or so) - I was finally able to get a sense of depth perception (and therefore speed). In the past, with no clouds, there was no way for my mind to grasp my speed.

It seems so trivial, but I loved it!

I imagine (hope) that there might be more epiphanies in my skydiving future... perhaps the beauty of a sunset dive or something else?

Can anybody share any "magic moments" or surreal experiences they've had that I might be able to look forward to... not that I need any further motivation, I'm hooked like a crack whore.

-Mark

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

greets

i remember the very first thick cloud that i went thru... i can remember that the cloud kept getting bigger and bigger in my field of sight, until i felt some definite sensory overload...
very fun moment - but, of course, dropping thru clouds is not a good idea...
very impressive visuals, tho

-dan

I opened at 13k many a times at sunset. The first time was awsome because i just left the brakes stowed for a while and hung around watching the sunset, amazing. If you ever get the oppurtunity, you should try it. There is a thread on pulling high also for more info.

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Along the Gulf Coast we get towering Cumulus Congestus (pinnacle) clouds at certain times of the year. I have had several opportunities to fall next to one of these pinnacles from exit to deployment. The tops of these monsters are well above 15K.

The sense of speed you get is startling. At sunset when the cloud is gold, yellow, pink, red and rust would really make a great photo.

I have seen a video of Anomaly flying next to one and then tracking away and it is pretty phenomenal.

Blue skies,

Jim

Welcome to the sky!

I know just what you're talking about. I remember the very first time I saw clouds in the air showing me just how fast I was hummin'. Is it ever a sight to see.

Trust it. There will be PLENTY of new beautiful images/visuals for ya to air-gasm for.

First sunset,
First time through a cloud,
First night jump,
First BIGWAY (lots of bodies in the air is a big Woa!),
First High Hop and Pop (do it sometime when there are Big fluffy clouds)

The list goes on and on... not to mention the number of times you're on an "ordinary fun jump" and for one or two seconds you take in your surroundings, realise just how beautiful they are, combine it with the fact that you'll never see them just like this again... that nobody will ever be privy to the sight you just saw...

It's great to be a skydiver B|

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I was, however, amazingly - surreally - incredibly surprised when my mind was finally able to wrap itself around how fast I was falling

B| Man...it feels like just yesterday I was a student. Those were some fun days! :) Keep it up man!

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

My "magic" moment happend last month when we actually had clouds. The top pf the clouds was about 4,500 and the bottoms being about 4,00. I did a three way with a some friends and we broke it at 5,500 to make sure we wouldnt lose each other in the clouds. As I'm tracking away i find my self right over one of the clouds. Then I see it... If I veer a little to the left there is a hole in the center of the cloud. I adjust course and ended up falling right trough the hole. It was amazing!

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

I was, however, amazingly - surreally - incredibly surprised when my mind was finally able to wrap itself around how fast I was falling

I had a similar sense of speed on AFF jumps when I pulled and was able to watch my AFFI's tracking away while my canopy was deploying. They were like bullets being shot out of a rifle.

I too have expierenced "cloud rush" I was worthless for about the next week, I walked around in almost a daze like state, staring at the sky, thinking to myself and sometimes sharing with others that I had touched a cloud:ph34r:

But the jump that really did it for me was my first sunset load, I pulled around 6000 and just coasted peacefully back to the DZ admiring the beauty of God's creation all around me...:)

my surreal moment happened a couple months ago, on the climb up in a king air a thunderstorm blew over the dz heading east....after circling for a few mins we made jump run to the west side of dz. I was 1st out and jumped at 13.5k into a light rain. getting stable I came out of the rain about 10k and turned back to a east heading only to see a beautiful rainbow below me. I could see both ends and as I fell I past the top of arch. Have not been the same since, it will be a moment I will never forget. God what a great sport we have decided do...

--------------------------------------------------

1/ Last week end, pulling high in Moab on the Sunset load. Breathtaking visuals. The light on the canyons was changing every 30 seconds... Amazing!:)2/ First dive into clouds: looked down before entering the cloud. Saw another skydiver RIGHT BELOW ME! In a boxman position. And I was catching up to him... So much so, that when I entered the cloud, I prepared myself for impact (read fetal position!). Then I went right through my shadow...[:/];)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."