maestropaolo

throat/sinus pain from freefall

I've had throat pain, but it's because I get completely dehidrated. I seem to loose a lot of water when I'm a bit stressed. :-) Once I started taking a bottle of water and drinking a lot of it, that wasn't a problem again. Now I'm dealing with some "door fear" which no amount of water will help out with. :-p

Thanks, I do deal with door fear, no question about it. But I thought my sinus/throat problems are due to the 120mph of air going through my head. Since no one else seems to have experienced this problem (I did searches on the forums for this and got no results) then maybe you're right...?

When I jump my ears tend to clog up and build up sinus pressure. Now I usually take one sudafed now before I jump and it seems to fix the problem. Don't know if it's the same thing but you could give it a try. Sometimes sudafed makes people feel funny though so take it when you're not jumping to see how it makes you feel first.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Often sinus pain is due to an oncoming cold or one that you are getting over. I had no warning one day that a flu was approaching and on my 6th camera jump had unbelieveable pressure which did not clear on the ground at all easily. I have had the flu once this year and was able to jump using a sudafed equivalent and nose spray. Basically if you cannot equalize on the ground DO NOT JUMP. If you feel fine at every other time except for just after the freefall part of your skydive perhaps take a sudafed first thing on the days you jump. The above are only my personal thoughts with my limited experience. If in doubt SEE A DOCTOR for the best advice. I have always had sinus problems from my previous job and deal with that with the snoz spray ;) BSBD! -Dangles.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this! I had throat pain right after I hit the ground and still have touches of it two days later (not severe, though). I was going to post a question about it and although I am brand new at this, with only a single jump to my credit, I felt rather silly!:$

The only other discomfort I had was the fact that my harness was so tight on my thighs under canopy that I have bruises. It's true I bruise pretty easily, but is this common? If it hadn't of been for that soreness, I would have taken my second jump the very next day!

The throat pain might be caused by having your mouth open in freefall an the wind drying out the mucas
Sinus is probably caused by being stuffed up
If you ca'nt clear your tubes on the ground, do'nt jump

Gone fishing

Yeah, I'm with whoever said Sudafed. I eat them like candy when I'm jumpin. Allergies don't bother me much usually, but my head gets totally stopped up when I jump If I don't take Sudafed ahead of time. Just me 2 cents.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

i used to get alot of sinus pain after doing alot of jumps it took my a couple of years to figure out the problem. when i tracked away i would put my head down (head was lower than rest of body)to watch where everyone was tracking and to check my alti. this was the problem the added blood pressure and the pressure changes on the sinuses lead to severe sinus and or headache pain. i told a my teammate about this and he had similar problems and found out he was doing the same thing. we both nolonger have this problem. fast aircraft and for some reason going above 10500 would also aggrivate the problem. as for a sore throat it maybe due to allergies and wearing a fullface helmet definetly helps.
Hope this helps.