tdog

HALO - Freefall Warriors TV Show

Just got done watching the HALO two part TV Show on Discovery Wings that my TIVO recorded moments before I got home.

God... These guys on their 28th jump are jumping with oxygen, at night, with a 40 pound rucksack between their legs, in groups of 8, and expected to land within 50 meters of one and another in no winds... Their first jump (think AFF1) is with a single instructor not holding on - some fail the course right away. Some tumble until their AAD go off. Some get kicked out for near misses in air.

Interesting show. Seeing military training in contrast to sport training shows strengths and weaknesses for each.

I thought their use of chemical stick lights, with red on the front, and green on the back of the jumper, was an interesting tidbit (if you see red they are coming towards you – stop and turn, green means go, you are following)… This tidbit could have made it into the discussion thread about a week ago about night jumping… Also, strobes must be turned of on landing otherwise you are assumed injured…

There is a fatality, an instructor goes in, and a busted ankle in the show, so it is kind of grim too. Don’t think I will show my non-jumping friends and family because of the fatality – they already have enough to worry about.

Anyway, anyone else see it? Anyone participate in this military course?

I thought this show was much better than the history of skydiving show last week that made it on the forums - a lot more info, a lot deeper discussion. I actually learned a lot.

Anyway, anyone else see it?

Seen the 1st part I believe. One of the guys now at Raeford was an instructor there and shot some of the footage used in the show.

Anyone participate in this military course?

Been there, done ,that, got the T-shirt with hood;)

MFF JM among other things:)

I actually thought it was pretty well done without making it into a "reality" type show.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Corey Paul, the black guy that got booted out of the course on that show, He went back to complete both the basic and the MFFJM course and now works at the Airborne and Special Operations Test Board on Fort Bragg. The commander of the committee, MAJ Buck Dellinger used to be married to Rodney Cruce's sister. The guy in the course that they showed getting on his harley outside the wind tunnel, Brian Cabaug, is a buddy of mine that I just had drinks with about a week ago. The instructor that died in the other course they were running concurrently went to MFFJM with me when he was still working at RRD at Fort Benning. The Daly Terminal building is named after a fallen brother of mine who rode in the same motorcycle club. He died when his strobe light came out of his unused ROL pouch on his rig and trailed behind him by the lanyard at deployment time: horseshoe malfunction that he could not clear.

I thought the show was well put together.

Chuck

Corey Paul, the black guy that got booted out of the course on that show, He went back to complete both the basic and the MFFJM course and now works at the Airborne and Special Operations Test Board on Fort Bragg.

I was hoping so... He seemed to be a good guy - and I felt sorry for him because he was so close in the show to getting it right....

Thanks for that behind the scenes Chuck.

They did a nice job on the show.

Quick question for you military freefallers - they show the rucksack at one point as a belly mount - why do they eventually place it behind the legs with no belly mount? Would you be wearing that rucksuck on the back without any additional gear up front? I can imagine that an additional 40-60lbs on the back of legs has to be hell on any jumper.

I'm with tim on this. I too prefer a front mount ruck. It's way easier to rig in the A/C prior to jumping and easier to fly IMO. Rear mounted is a guessing game when it comes to getting your shoulder straps adjusted correctly on your legs and the attachment strap adjutment that goes to the D ring on the harness. If it's unequal you usually end up with a built in turn or spin. Those really suck, especially at night with combat equipment and O2. Jumping a front and rear mounted ruck/assault bags can be a challenge too. diving exits are just about out of the question as you really have to fly it or it flys(flails) you.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Corey Paul, the black guy that got booted out of the course on that show, He went back to complete both the basic and the MFFJM course and now works at the Airborne and Special Operations Test Board on Fort Bragg.

I was hoping so... He seemed to be a good guy - and I felt sorry for him because he was so close in the show to getting it right....

Ditto--I felt for the guy because he seemed upbeat and I also had an early problem w/ slow turns after release. Should've given him another chance -- he would've fixed it.
“Keep your elbow up!"