jkotch

shipping your rig

I'm going to Florida next month and I need to send my rig down there to get the reserve repacked. What's the best way to pack it and who to ship it with?

I'd recommend Fed-Ex. I just got mine back via UPS and they just left the thing on the porch and left, no signature, didn't even ring the damn doorbell. I missed a Fed-Ex delivery with something expensive a while back, and went to pick it up at one of their service centers, and they wouldn't give it to me without ID. More secure with Fed-Ex in my opinion.

If you are shipping something to your house make sure you tell them where to leave the package in the event you are not home to receive it. I have had more than a couple multi-thousand-dollar packages left on my front porch when I was out of town; it makes me furious. The UPS guy that delivers to my neighborhood has a serious "ring and run" problem.

We just put up a small sign on the front door telling deliverymen never to leave anything at our front door.

I second that...

Also, if nobody's gonna be at home when the delivery comes, you're better off having it delivered to your workplace, if at all possible. I use UPS and FED-EX. I send via UPS if it's not a real expensive item and can't be damaged if the box is thrown around, and FED-EX for everything valuable and breakable.

Speaking of FED-EX and UPS... What do you get if the two shipping companies were to merge?

FED-UP!! :D:D

badabing! (rimshot) :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree with Fed ex, or use the post office. I'm not a fan of UPS at all, they've often left valuable things on my doorstep too.

I wouldn't recommend the Post office for Skydiving gear. When you add in the weight, plus the cost of insurance, it turns out being expensive as hell. At least thats my experience with them. I ship stuff at work via UPS with no problem. But if they lose a package (they have lost only 2 or 3 of the few thousand we shipped last year) they are less than helpful. For expensive stuff, I think fed-ex is the way to go. ;)

I wouldn't recommend the Post office for Skydiving gear. When you add in the weight, plus the cost of insurance, it turns out being expensive as hell. At least thats my experience with them.

I don't mind paying more to make sure my gear is well taken care of. The post office rocks, has excellent customer service and is reliable. I'll gladly pay more for those benefits.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Any shipping company you use has the same odds of damaging your rig. FYI, Priority and Express Mail fly on the same planes as FED-EX. I use the postal service for almost everything I ship or have shipped. UPS can't ever seem to find my house, and FED-EX has a ring-and-run problem here. Another plus about the post office, they'll give you all the stuff to ship your rig.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!