ASullivan

Skydiving Records

Does anyone know what the record for the worlds highest skydive is and where i can get some information on it.

I believe if you do a google search on "Steve Kittinger", You'll find some good references.

Edited to add: When you do that search, pick the one called "Kittinger's Long Lonely Leap".

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Does anyone know what the record for the worlds highest skydive is and where i can get some information on it.

I believe if you do a google search on "Steve Kittinger", You'll find some good references.

Maybe try Joe Kittinger instead...

Joseph Kittinger, Jr. is best known for his high-altitude balloon flights and parachute jumps that he made while heading the U.S. Air Force's "Project Excelsior" in the 1950s. The project's goal was to solve the problems of high-altitude bailout. It used a high-altitude balloon with an open gondola to travel to the edge of space, with the pilot parachuting from the gondola to the ground.

On November 16, 1959, Kittinger piloted Excelsior I to 76,000 feet (23,165 meters) and returned to Earth by jumping, free falling, and parachuting to the desert floor in New Mexico. He followed this with the flight of Excelsior II, launched on December 11, 1959. This balloon climbed to 74,700 feet (22,769 meters) before Kittinger jumped from his gondola.

on another note...
...it hasn't been done yet, I believe this man/team is trying to break that record along with breaking the sound barrier:
http://www.legrandsaut.org/site_en/
I think there's an Australian women also going for the record, but I can't remember who =/

....another attempt

[/url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=162[url]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I bellieve if you do a google search on "Steve Kittinger", You'll find some good references.

Maybe try Joe Kittinger instead...[Reply]
Oops! Yup... Well I got the last name right, and luckily, my search still pulled up the right articles...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

"A jump from 102,800 feet by U.S. Col. Joseph Kittinger in 1960 was disqualified by the FAI, because he used a stabilizing drogue."

Eugene Andreev for Russia holds the record. In 1962 he jumped from 83,500 feet and opened at 3,100 feet for the highest jump and the longest freefall.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The FASTEST (below 15,000ft) is Mark Calland.
He got 316mph in "the measuring zone" of 8,000 to 5,500ft in practice at Hilbastow, Eng.
I'm still trying to get past 249mph[:/]
see site below.;)