treeman

nerves

At 40 jumps I still feel a weird feeling in my stomach when the plane slows down and the flaps are extended... But I am now to the point where I have no fear of the door. I have a lot of respect for it...

I found the fear of the door went away on AFF 5 - because I knew if the instructor was not with me I could get down on my own and I could save my own life without help.

I think it is normal to be nervous if something unusual is about to happen. Couple weeks ago we were doing hop & pop "a little lower then 3000 ft" and I felt nervous, but then my friend opened the door, screamed something and jumped out and I did the same – that was great! :D

Bwahahhaahaaa! Excellent response, Ryoder!

Hey, Treeman, fear is not fatal, fear will save your life and that's what is roiling around in your brain when the door opens.
Harness your fear. Breathe in, breathe out. Ever see the movie The Ghost and The Darkness? The hunter guy, Michael Douglas, turns to Val Kilmer's character and says/asks "Can you control your fear, can you?"
If you're gonna skydive, you bloody well better!!
Attitude is everything!

Jumps 1-25, I was afraid of skydiving.
Jumps 26-50, I was afraid of the plane ride.
Fun since then.

Same here
EXCEPT I hate commercial flights(landings) now because my option to jump has been taken away.
Before jumping I enjoyed commercial flights[:/]

Hi. You need to so something that in simple behavioural terms is called habituation. What this means is if you just do it over and over and over the situation itself will lose its ability to elicit a fear response in you. Example, if you were in my room and I told you to look behind you into the corner of the room, and when you had your back turned I slammed my hand on the desk, then you would experience a startle reflex. Like an instantaneous fear response. If 5 minutes later I did exactly the same again, you'd jump but not for quite as long. If I did it every 5 minutes for an hour, the 20th time you'd probably just scowl at me and groan because its so boring. Its like how med students drop like flies on their 1st day of surgical rotation, but 6 months later their up to their waists in guts and loving it. And its like how you see a horror film it scares the pants off you, but if you watch it 5 times a day every day for 6 weeks it just gets boring. We can also habituate to pleasant stimuli. Like say, lobster thermidor. Its almost gastronomically orgasmic, but if you eat that baby twice a day for 6 months you'll never want to see a lobster again.

Just breath into the fear, and jump over and over. It will get better I promise you.***Die with your boots on

Tell me about it! On March 18th it will be 6 months since my last jump. That was due to an inury in Sept and then winter came. I often wonder how scared I'm going to be when I go back.
But for me its not door fear. I love the door! I am just really, really fucking nervous beforehand. Pulling into the dz, then gearing up, walking into the hangar. It really hits when the plane pulls up and we start to load. But I breathe deep in the plane and just focus on the jump and touch my handles. I guess I do feel that twinge when the door is 1st opened, especially if I'm right next to it!:o But as soon as its my turn and I stick my head out and feel the wind, I'm totally ready to go!!:)But I just hate being so fucking nervous about something I know I'm gonna totally love as soon as I do it. I can't even eat, its pathetic!
But I am different from you in the fact that 90% of me is the part that WANTS to do it! I bought my own rig in November and I can't wait to fly it!!:)
Anyway, I definitely relate. I just try my best to relax and look forward to the day when I can eat at the dz.;)

Its been months since my last jump as well, In fact havent jumped since October due to weather (Have trained recently though) and im shitting myself, 10% of me want's to do it and 90% doesnt. But i know that after iv done the first jump of the day it will be the other way around. But it still doesnt stop the brown trousers time. Hopefully be jumping 2moro so ill see you then jumpmunki - Ill be the one that looks petrified.

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

during AFF i had no problem with the door opening but I just couldn't watch others jump out. I had to look the other way until it was my turn. That seems a bit strange. I never heard of anyone else with that problem.

I had that problem for my first 6 jumps, so by no means feel special. :P
In my case, it was memory of how it freaked me out to see my friend fly off the door on our first tandem. ( Post tandem stress? )
Now, watching others jump actually makes me feel better, so I hate it when i'm first.

Two weeks ago I jumped for the first time since last May. I was in Tampa on business and the weather was so good I had to at least go to Z-Hills and see how I felt. Fortunately I had brought my log book with me. My goal was just to go there and see some jumpers land and see how I felt watching them. Well after seeing that and talking to manifest I made a retrain jump. I can not tell you how nervous I was, I'm sure I was more nervous on this jump than any other time. I figured it was a combination of jumping a new place, with a different rig and not jumping for 8-9 months. My coach told me that for the first 10 seconds I was shitting my pants but after that I did fine and he cleared me for solo jumping again. Now I just need to wait until late March for my home DZ to open up and hopefully I can get my 'A' done.

Good for you! :)
I hope you can get your A soon! :)

Two weeks ago I jumped for the first time since last May. I was in Tampa on business and the weather was so good I had to at least go to Z-Hills and see how I felt. Fortunately I had brought my log book with me. My goal was just to go there and see some jumpers land and see how I felt watching them. Well after seeing that and talking to manifest I made a retrain jump. I can not tell you how nervous I was, I'm sure I was more nervous on this jump than any other time. I figured it was a combination of jumping a new place, with a different rig and not jumping for 8-9 months. My coach told me that for the first 10 seconds I was shitting my pants but after that I did fine and he cleared me for solo jumping again. Now I just need to wait until late March for my home DZ to open up and hopefully I can get my 'A' done.

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site