Daizey

Tandem to overcome fear before getting back into aff?

Ok, so I have a friend who had two scares post AFF. One was a hard landing that injured their akle. They took a few weeks off to let it heal up and then went back to work on their A. On their next jump they had a problem with gear-the gear was rented at the dz and chosen by the instructor....simply put the chest strap came loose to the point of almost being undone completely and they were scared of falling out of the harness while under canopy. Once on the ground the jumper was left very scared...and slightly untrusting. The coach told them to shake it off, but they were still upset and couldn't right away so they waited a few weeks and then went up again. But this time in the plane they had a very bad anxiety attack and almost wouldn't leave when they got to the door....but they finally did jump. They got down with no incident but the fear still wouldn't go away and even thinking about jumping again makes them anxious.

It's been a little while now and this person is now thinking that perhaps this sport just isn't for them, But they'd like to make one last attempt so they decided to try to do a tandem just to get the fear under control before trying again alone. Also, this person wanted to just get back into the air again to see if this is something they truly wanted to do. After going to 2 different dz's requesting a tandem and explaining the situation/history they wouldn't let them do it. Instead they tried to talk them into a coached jump because they said a tandem would be a waste of time and money and would ultimately inhibit or set back my friend's student progress. My friend was still too worried/jittery and really wasn't ready to do a non tandem jump..so they left both times from both dzs because they were so pushy about not doing tandem

My question is why would a tandem be such a bad thing? Afterall they're trying to overcome their fear and get back into the air, wouldn't a tandem be a way of doing this? The thought was that since trying another solo didn't work, they would try a tandem, just to get them back up before they gave up complately..Granted they wouldn't be doing it on their own, but it would get them back in the air...and if it was something they wanted, then they could possibly get back into their training...

Any thoughts?

edited to add...im not looking for any criticism such as telling them to get over it or quit...im just truly curious if a tandem would be a bad idea and/or the pros/cons of it...

*daizey*

This makes no sense to me. If it builds her comfort level, who cares. And maybe skydiving on her own is not for her but she might enjoy doing tandems, if so, great! I train tandem instructors and test jump tandem equipment and I still love doing tandems front or back. It is like doing a two-way all the way down.

When I was at the Mardi Gras boogie they had a wedding jump that one of the skydivers wanted to go on, but she had twisted her ankle the week before and still did not feel comfortable jumping on her own and so she asked me if I would take her on a tandem, which I did. She had never done a tandem and came down so excited that you would have thought it was her first jump.

So go tell her to do a tandem and have fun. And if no one else will take her, come down to Florida and I will!

Stay safe,
Mike

How about the dz's not letting them? Its not against training policy or anything is it? I mean they were basically refused the tandem-those they talked to at the dz instead tried to convince them to do the coach jump...since they weren't confortable with that they left...

*daizey*

two things i'm reading out of your posts

1) your friend wants to be sure if or if not to skydive again, and he/she doesn't want to jump alone but with a tandem

imho - great idea

2) the dz you visited said it woulnd't be good for student progress

in some aspect i can understand their point of view - why waste money if you decide to continue jumping and get a coached jump instead

maybe you could combine these viewpoints - make a tandem and still learn something. so maybe you can find a dz where tiaf tandem instructor assisted freefall (hope thats the right term in u.s.) is offered. this method is taught on our dz and students love it. unfortunately i think we are to far away for your friend ...
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

How about the dz's not letting them? Its not against training policy or anything is it? I mean they were basically refused the tandem-those they talked to at the dz instead tried to convince them to do the coach jump...since they weren't confortable with that they left...

I would probably suggest a coach jump, but would have no problem with a tandem if that's what the customer wants. I can't think of a single safety related issue with a tandem in this situation. In fact, helping the customer to relax is a key benefit of tandem, plus it allows an instructor to better analyze the mental state of the jumper in all phases of flight.

Now, at the risk of being too commercial, I'm going to suggest your friend purchase or borrow a copy of my book, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy. It includes a chapter about Psychology that several low-time jumpers have told me helped them deal with their anxiety. There is also a chapter about risk that may scare your friend even further and help him/her to decide not to make another skydive. JUMP! was really written for beginners with no experience, but information is always a good thing, and this book help your friend to come to grips with fear and then to decide if the sport is self-appropriate.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I think you need to keep looking for a DZ that will give the customer what he/she wants. Maybe one that does tandem progression training would be easier to deal with, as they are more geared toward tandems as training. I don't see any reason why your friend couldn't practice some freefall skills and regain some confidence by doing a training tandem. It's not up to the DZ to decide how to spend your friend's money. Vote with your feet:)

Just wanted to say its not me whos going through this so I'm not exactly sure first hand what went on when they went to the dz's...just going by what i was told. I know there aren't too many dz's around where they are located which makes it difficult to just go to another...

They are gettting frustrated though. Unless they travel far they really can't find a place to make a tandem. I was just talking to them last night and it sounds as if theyre jsut about ready to back away and leave the sport completley for awhile-if not for good...

I just wasn't understanding why she wasn't allowed the tandem and why it was such a bad thing...

thanks for the replies!

*daizey*

Perhaps you could call the dropzone and talk to the st&a or DZO and find out what their problem is. This way you would know firsthand...perhaps your friend didnt emphisize the fact that she was unconfortable with making a non-tandem jump? I dunno, i wasnt there...and it sounds like you werent either...so call the dz and talk to them yourself on their behalf. Ask them wtf is up and get a reason why they wont let her/him jump. :)

How about the dz's not letting them?

Wow. Well, I know my DZ doesn't care how many jumps you do or don't have, if you want to do a tandem and you're paying for a tandem, then by god, you're doing a tandem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

WOW! A dz who doesn't want to take a tandem up? hell I am doing one with an experienced skydiver just cuz he never did one.

In all seriousness it sounds like its the way to go with your friend and I see no reason why she should be pushed into something that she doesn't want to do, specially if she is already having second thoughts about it.

The tandem progression system allows for training in tandems and transition to AFF, I would say get her to a DZ that will help her not push her.

I rode the plane down on my level 2 AFF.

A couple of friends bought me a tandem to get me back in the air. I chose the JM, same guy I did my first tandem with, and I felt totally comfortable with him, plus I knew he wasn't going to let me go up there and then not skydive.

If it wasn't for that tandem, I probably wouldn't have jumped again. It was the absolute BEST thing I could have done for myself at that time.

I think the tandem would be good for them-i think it would help the same way it helped you, unfortunately by what this person has told me, the dz seems to refuse to give in...

I know they know what a tandem progression is b/c thats how they did their AFF training. They had done the 3 tandems for AFP progression and told both DZs thats what they wanted to try again...not just a regular first jump tandem..They wanted to do stuff in freefall, but jsut wasnt comfortable with doing it nontandem so they figured theyd give it a try as a tandem...just to help with the fear..

They have said they made it VERY clear to the dzs how they felt and how upset they were about the whole situation. I believe this person was actually literally in tears telling them about what happened to them and how much it scared them and DZ still insisted they do a coached jump. Every time they tried to even discuss a tandem they kept changing the subject to a coached jump.I believe thats why they got frustrated and just ended up leaving....

The whole situation jsut confuses me...Im not sure why they were turned down....would it have really affected their training all that much? The way I see it, it would at least be getting them back in the air....

*daizey*

from your profile I see you are on Long Island,
I have done many tandems with people who felt they needed someone else "there." this is jumping out of airplanes not bowling. it can be intimidating to say the least. take a drive to Connecticut Parachutist Inc. 2-3 hours north of long island. I will personally get you and your friend back in the saddle, with a tandem. A tandem is not just the freefall, it can help with altitude awareness, body position, and prct's. it can also be very helpful in canopy control, teaching proper setup for landing, altitude checks in the pattern, crabbing, crosswind, s-turns.
being mentally prepared for a skydive is important and if it takes a few extra tandems I have no problem with that.
jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

Are either of these DZ's the same ones that your friend had their previous bad experiences at? Does your friend own their own gear?

It would seem extremely odd to me if an experienced jumper refused to jump on their own gear and was insisting on tandems anyways.

I don't see any harm in them doing a tandem, but at the same time if they are too scared to jump on their own are they really needing to jump?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

She should definitely do a tandem. After landing off twice on AFF (level 6 I got stuck 70ft up in a tree), I was too petrified of being under canopy to get out of the plane again.

My dz had me do a tandem (at a discounted rate at that) to get me comfortable again, and I don't think I'd have been able to go again on my own without that refresher/relaxation jump. Everybody learns differently, and if that's what will make her feel better she should not let someone talk her into something else.

Thanks jiimoke but the person isn't me...Im doing just fine with my aff (in fact i should be finishing up VERY soon - yay!)...this person doesn't even live near me...they live towards the other coast...which is why FL and OH probably wont help, but ill let them know anyway! thanks for the offers!

Phree...i believe one of the dz's is where they originally jumped...and had the bad experiences ...I do believe they have some gear...not a complete rig...they were putting it together before they stopped jumping i believe...everything that happened took place on rental gear...this person has never jumped any of their new gear...

I understand what you are saying about if they are too scared now then should they really be jumping...i think thats why they want to do the tandem...to find out if its a fear they can overcome and to see if they really do enjoy it...

*daizey*

All I can say is the Tandem harness has a chest strap also and just because there is a TM on their back doesnt mean it wont slip.

Although I have never had one slip I have seen students land with one that had slipped.That is one reason the strap webbing is doubled at the end.
To keep it from slipping out.

Chris

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

It took me a total of 7 tandems before I got through my AFF. 3 were before I started it, but the remaining 4 were for pretty much the same reasons your friend has...

I was injured on AFF 2 landing which took away my confidence. I was also struggling to get the picture in my head about flight patterns etc when under canopy so my next jump was a tandem where we focused on canopy control and landing.

I attempted AFF 3 but had a huge anxiety attack before emplaning, so took a break. I didn't want to give up the sport but wasn't ready to solo again and did 3 more tandems before I got back into AFF so I could still get my knees in the breeze.

My instructors pointed out the money factors but they supported my decisions as they believed in me and knew I would eventually fly solo again.

I hope your friend finds a DZ that will allow them to do the tandem. Even if they never get back into AFF I admire them for keeping on trying.

As my instructor once said - "Once a skydiver, always a skydiver". They may no longer jump but if they have done at least 1 AFF jump they will always be a skydiver.
Kaz
Never ever ever give up