Smeger

Is skydiving becoming more popular?

I have to agree with you there. It definitely seems like more people are becoming less fearful to try more extreme experiences.
I think the problem may be people that try it have an over exaggerated impression of the dangers involved, so they feel less enthusiastic to continue doing it.
They do it to have done it. Perhaps to prove something to themselves or to friends, or simply through curiosity. I did it through curiosity as I've always had this overwhelming need to fly. Skydiving just felt like the right move for me. Perhaps the people that do it once only, don't think it's as fun as they thought it would be?
Any ideas?

the economy is fine right now for all intensive purposes

"Intensive" purposes? What are they?

Record trade deficit, record budget deficit, dollar is dropping against other currencies. High paying manufacturing jobs being replaced by low paying service jobs. Personal bankruptcies at record levels. Nothing to worry about, economy is fine.

Why not? Levin, myself and a lot of posters on here are not normal in their jumping. Average licenced skydiver lasts for 3 years and usually gets less then 500 jumps before they quit. 1 out of about 100 tandems returns for another. only 1 out of 500 tandems gets licenced. Since the 1960's when records and licences in the US were started there have been less then 28,300 people who earned their D licence (the old requirement was for just 200 jumps instead of the 500 now), there are less then 6700 people that have made 1000 jumps (I'll make mine this summer B|) and numbers drop fast for milestones past there.

Injuries, death of friends, the cost (I've spent 30,000K+ jumping in 5 years), the time and other factors lead to a really fast burn out rate.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

actually, since your profile looks like you just started, i'll go ahead and throw this at ya. that thrill or adrenlin rush is a hinderence and the quicker you can get rid of it the better. adrenlin gives a rush and prevents your body from relaxing. to get the most out of your skydive you need to be relaxed. after a few hundred jumps freefall will begin to feel natural or common place. once that happens you will start becoming much more aware of your skydives. more aware of what your body is doing, how the air flows around every square inch it and more aware of what is going on around you. when that happens you will start getting better at a rapid pace. until then enjoy the thrill while it last.

there are less then 6700 people that have made 1000 jumps

i didn't know that. is that in total or currently actively jumping?

(I'll make mine this summer )

you should come to sky fest this year. if you do i'd like to go on your 1000th. mine was a big hybrid that never got off it's belly, but i'm sure we can do something better.

I total understand that I'm a newcomer and know NOTHING about this sport and have a LOT to learn, but I never found my skydives (all 3 of them :$) to be adrenalin pumping. I found skydiving to have a very relaxed and refreshing feeling. Despite the howling of the wind, its peaceful and you can move where ever you want in what ever way you want (within reason and a LOAD of practice). Its the freedom I'm after, not the buzz. Although I did have to wait for the plane to land before I could get my stomach back ;).
Does that make any sense? :$

that's make total sense and i know exactly what you're saying. however to better make my point try this. take your pulse before you get on the plane. take it again a couple minutes to jump run and take it again right after you land. jot those numbers down and save them. do the same thing when you have 500 and 1000 jumps and compare. i imagine by the time you reach 1000 you will already fully understand what i'm saying and have already recognized this sport for what it really is. an art, not a thrill. you just have to peel back the cover to see. and that cover is the adrenlin rush or thrill.

Dude, I nearly followed through when the door opened and all that freezing air came rushing through (dodged a bullet there :$).
Looking out the door was something else altogether, I seriously thought that I was going to die lol. I put my head back and I didn't even realise we had left the plane on the first jump. I was totally relaxed on the way down ( completely ignorant to the possible dangers). I was looking around and trying to talk to the camera man lol.

My last jump we did a triple backflip ( was ment to be a double) at 14000ft. Didn't phase me at all, but I seriously lost my stomach on that drop, the plane must have fuckin STOPPED lol. That was an awesome feeling. I've always loved jumping off stuff to get that sensation. I ALWAYS jump off the top of stairs (or as high as possible), 100ft cliffs into the sea on holiday, off the garage roof, you get the picture. I'm a sucker for that weird sensation, but I wouldn't call it adrenalin or anything?

The 6700 number was the latest award number for 1000 jumps. Granted thats just USPA members that have filed for the award, but thats total since the formation of the award in the 70's.

Skyfest could be an option, I just have to see how the time and money go.;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was totally relaxed on the way down ( completely ignorant to the possible dangers).

i get the leaving the fear on the plane. but it's not the same as what i'm saying. stick around and you'll get the point i'm trying to make.

after reading your post, i miss that sensation and feeling of jumping back when i first started. really miss it, but very glad it's gone.

I ALWAYS jump off .... 100ft cliffs into the sea on holiday

screw that

i still haven't applied for my 1000 jump award. or my 12 and 24hr freefall awards. that's mainly because i have to go back and add up almost 800 jumps worth the freefall time.

do hope you make it to sky fest. it's kick ass event. i missed it last year but never again.

Do you still get nervous before jumping or does it vary, or has it completely gone.

before i jump i would say it varies but for the most part not hardly. i would be lieing if i said i never got nervous at all. high gusty winds and long spots can make me nervous. dark sunset loads with large groups can make me nervous since my vision isn't the best. the responsibility of a ball jump makes me nervous even though those are the easiest jumps i do. having less experienced jumpers exit after me makes me nervous because i can't be for certain they gave me the correct delay. it depends. but the simple fact that i am jumping out of plane does not make me nervous. i think a large part of that is due to the fact that 1. i pack my own stuff and my pack jobs are perfect (750+ jumps on FX74 and only 1 line twist) and 2. i have reached a point with my headdown flying that i am 100% in control of it and am 100% responsible for what i do on my skydives. but now that i mention it, that is just with my headdown. belly and sitfly dives can make me nervous because i am not in full control of my flying in those body positions and i cannot guarantee myself i can prevent myself from being in an accident in those body positions if one is fixing to happen. i can on my head. and while i am on my head i am completely aware of what is going on around me because my attention is not split between that and having to be aware of my body position.

I heard ages ago that when you start to lose the fear, thats when things start to go wrong?

i think you are assuming when people become comfortable with what they are doing they become complacent. i think that depends on the personality and the experiences one has had along the way. as you accumulate hundreds and hundreds and thousands of jumps you will become aware of not only what is going on around you, not only what your body is doing and how it reacts to freefall as you are falling but also aware of just how dangerous this sport can be. I've known bad ass freeflyers with 2k+ jumps that became skilled enough to be responsible for themselves in any situation yet all of the sudden became so scared of less experienced jumpers and the person following them out the door that they quit jumping. they became afraid that someone else would get them killed. i think the most dangerous time in your jumping career is shortly after you get your licenses. You are no longer always in the presence of more experienced jumpers or instructors who are watching your back. During this time your own ignorance from lack of experience can easily get you in a situation that can get you killed. Common sense, not believing you are invincible, not believing everything you hear and asking the right people questions will keep you alive.

Let me pipe in here....I have a lowly 39 jumps and know squat...but...My fear happens before I even get to the DZ...once in the plane...all is good...I know what I am doing(my dive plan)..and concentraite on that.....no exit fear....etc....Do what you are trained to do(arf arf).....at 3 jumps you are just starting to experiance to freedom of this sky jumping thing we all do on these forums....(as am I)..these guys/gals with hundreds/thousands of jumps can only pretend to be back in your shoes.....dont worry about what they think at there experiance level...worry about what you are gona do on your next jump and how you will advance yourself.........RELAX...let it happen...ENJOY!!

Edited to add: I am a newbie..do not take my posts seriously..always consult your instructors before taking any advice!!!