huka551

Night Jumps

It may glow enough that you can see it, but when in doubt for your first night jump, you might want to take a glowstick as well. There are a few ways to setup a glowstick on your helmet or on your arm so you can see the alti well.

I'm more then sure chatting to your S&TA about this will clear up any questions and possibly any more questions about night jumps and how they're conducted at your DZ.

Night jumps are fun, but do be careful and remember NO drinking before jumping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Take a look at the article in the March Parachutist on Night Jumps, lots of good sugestions in there for night jumps. The glowing face will work, but you need to make sure its charged up so let it sit in the sun or a light for a while just before the end of the day.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You need to do 2 night jumps for your D licence. The first is a solo and the seconds should be as part of a group (can be a two way). You should have your B liecne or at least 50 jumps before taking part in a night jump briefing. Read the Article, the SIM and talk to your S&TA (tell Kip hello from me too ;)) before you make one to fully understand everything involved in one.

Its a little more challenging then a day jump, but still a lot of fun!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have a glow in the dark face alti, and that damn thing glowed for hours even after the night jump. I just charged in it a car's headlight for a minute or two prior to getting on the plane. Its not a bad idea to have a glowstick somewhere on you as backup though.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have a "glow face" alti as well and have found it works quite well on night jumps. Pay attention at the briefing and talk to an instructor about anything you might want clarified. I also have taken to wearing sunglasses after gearing up, until the door is open. This will preserve your night vision right up until the time you will need it most (someone will inadvertently turn on their strobe on the ride to 'tude). Use a cheap pair and stuff them in your jump suit. Relax and enjoy!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

My Altimaster Galaxy is insanely bright at night. Just make sure you stick it under a bright lamp for a few minutes before you go up then check it in a dark room and you should be fine. :)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

When we did night jumps for the people who did not have glowing altis they taped a small glowstick near the alti to see the height. Everyone however had to wear a larger glowstick on there chest strap. The whole idea was so that when you are under canopy and see a light it means that the person is facing you therefore flying towards you. So both of you turn right.
We had 2 great jumps that night. The only pity was the cloud cover at 6 grand so thats all we got.