rjoseph14k

Lex and Terry in the Morning

hey...just let it go. these guys are like trolls - stirring the pot just to get something controversial started. if people call and start arguing, they get more people listening and it's more money in their pockets. these guys probably just sit in the booth and touch themselves anyway, so don't waste your time worrying about the mentality it takes for them to do what they do. god bless 'em. they obviously aren't rocket scientists.

if you really wanna get back at them, call the advertisers for their show and tell them you will not support their products/services. will it do any good? i doubt it ...unless it's in large numbers. but it can't hurt.

let 'em have a good laugh. it must be a sad existence to not have anything else in their lives to laugh at...

Most humor is at the expense of someone. It hurts when you are close to the reality of it though. I bet if we stopped and examined many of the things we laugh at we would find them as unpleansant as this. I challenge anyone who thinks the Lex and Terry bit was out of bounds to examine things you laugh at for the next few months. There will surely be something just as callous.

Look at threads here on DZ.com that have "humor" in them. For example the "Stupidest Student" thread. I bet if you were the student they were talking about you wouldn't think it was as funny as most of the readers.

Don't get me wrong. I laugh at anything. Nothing is sacred to me. No subject is out of bounds for humor. I clearly remember a period of dead baby jokes when I was younger. I didn't invent them, but I laughed, as did everyone else I was around. I wouldn't have told one to someone who had a baby die though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Some radio talk-show hosts are cool with skydiving, for example the Mark and Brian Show that broadcast on LA airwaves a decade ago.
One of them - Mark or Brian, but I can't remember which - had a few hundred skydives and decided to do a live show from the California City DZ.
I was tasked to do a tandem jump with the father of one of the announcers.
The funniest part of the skydive occurred after we landed and were sitting in the desert. Someone sticks a live microphone in his face to ask him if he enjoyed the jump. As the old guy stands up, he leans an elbow on my right testicle!
Talk about a test of your professionalism!
Hah!
Hah!

I used to listen to those f'ers not anymore I will send plenty of emails and phone calls to the station and the sponsors. Might not do anything at all, but who cares I will have done my duty.

All that does is prove to them that people were listening. Jim Rome got LOTS of feedback for bashing Roger Nelson's death. The best way to discourage such comments is to ignore them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I used to listen to those f'ers not anymore I will send plenty of emails and phone calls to the station and the sponsors. Might not do anything at all, but who cares I will have done my duty.

All that does is prove to them that people were listening. Jim Rome got LOTS of feedback for bashing Roger Nelson's death. The best way to discourage such comments is to ignore them.

Blues,
Dave

I can't wait to meet that f-er. I don't think I've ever actually hated someone as much as Jim Rome.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

So if they know that soeple WERE listining, and now they are not, proves that one day they might not need to say stuff like that. If we never tell people what we are feeling, or how we think they will never know.

Do you think this line of humor was completely out of character for them? I imagine others were similarly offended at previous punch lines, and yet the audience still exists (or grows) as evidenced by whatever feedback they get. It sucks, but that's just the way it works.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

At last count there are now 9 threads regarding Gus Wing's death and the surrounding circumstances. Conversations are getting extremely fragmented and losing their effectiveness. I am locking this thread with four requests:

1) Please don't start any new threads - contain our conversations to these three:

For discussions regarding the details of the incident itself only:

Incidents Forum Thread

For condolences, memories, prayers, and other expressions of goodwill:

General Skydiving Forum Thread

For general conversations regarding the media using information obtained from dropzone.com:

Media Post In General Skydiving Forum

2) Please don't speculate. Facts are being gathered and will be released as they always are, when the facts themselves have been properly and responsibly applied to the investigation itself.

3) Please use good judgement when you post any information or opinions you have. Posting in anger or casting blame from a position outside the inner circle of this investigation does not contribute to conversations regarding this issue.

4) Gus was well-loved and widely known. Please remember that his family, friends, the media, and anyone involved in the investigation are reading these posts. Post responsibly. If you have information that you feel would be helpful to the investigators, call the DZO at Skydive DeLand and tell the DZO you have specific information about the incident.
Arrive Safely

John