loudtom

NBC 92 year old skydiving, bad exits on national tv

Thanx for the reply, But when you submit footage to the "NEWS" everyone see's it. These jumps should never had been put on TV because whenever we are in the public eye we are ambassadors of OUR sport. People do know the difference between a good and a bad jump like Bush's Tandem they are not stupid and we should not treat them like idiots because they keep our sport alive and they have seen better than that mess. Why would anyone throw a drogue while on their back, and why put a 92 year old man out of a 182. We all have bad jumps but why show the worst???

Scotty Reedman useing Toms post

[:/] I saw it... NBC TOday Show
the gentleman was there Live, talking with Matt Lauer and seemed pretty sharp... The footage however , while of a fine technical quality, showed the poor "poised exit" during his static line jump. Not good P R for the sport...>:( The solo landing, again was very very well documented by the camera crew... Only he landed HARD,, in a cluster of brush... after footage shows him flying past roads!!! and power lines!!!! and trees!!!!... man....they were DAMN lucky.. he walked away from that touchdown.......!!! but again...
It DID look scary... and when done RIGHT !! skydiving is NOT scarey..... so yes the national tv audience saw a rather poor demonstration...
The footage which aired,,, was aired,,, because someone sent it to the Media... ( I had seen something of this,, a few weeks ago on cable news.)
I agree about the 182... poor choice.. I suppose the idea was that the man was making a SOLO jump...( worlds OLDEST )
But why Not an AFF Level 1 ???.. anyway they must have used the Caravan ( which was used for the Guy's Tandem Jump ) as a camera platform for the Cessna exit.... Heck I remember climbing out on the step of a 182... ( sooo many people in our sport today,, Never HAD that experience,,,) and it ain't easy..:S:P....especially the first time you do it.... and especially if the jump pilot is maintaining airspeed to fly relative with the chase/ camera plane.........
The 92 year old "student" came away looking real good, in spite of his performance, a But at the expense of the sports' image.... ( Though I guess the footage could also be interpretted as " you too can screw up THIS MUCH,:S, and still get away with it..." !!! ) [:/]:)

Hey Yo,
Do you remember which dz it was?
I just thought it was poor video to show nationwide.
If it was my tandem I would have asked them not to show me throwing the drouge while on my back flipping. And regardless of the video, no 92 year old should be on the step of the 182 for thier first solo. IMHO.
Where is the sun. And you can have the wind...
tom
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Do you remember which dz it was

I think I saw Blue Sky Adventures some where on the piece. But I'm not positive that it happened there.

I just thought it was poor video to show nationwide.
If it was my tandem I would have asked them not to show me throwing the drouge while on my back flipping.

I agree....but sometimes you have to get the drogue out. It looked like a combination of poor student position(de-arched) along with poor TM presentation into the relative wind.(common side-spin situations) Why there was another person on the step with him I don't know. It looked a little crowded out there. Was it a true S/L or an IAD jump? I'm not very familiar with IAD, but I always seen the JM on the inside of the plane during the student jumps. Thankfully he is a tough old man and got through that landing.
Watching these video's reminds me why we have a cut-off age for s/l and aff students.....

My thought is that the general pubic wouldn't know a good exit from a double whammy...the landing, though probably was recognizable as "not-something-that-I-want-to-do".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This is no way an age issue. If you saw the jump that would explain part of my reasoning. But your first solo, and an IAD at that. Why not use the big door. Even if he was in the best shape for a 92 year old wouldn't you want to be safe! And he may have performed good on the ground but there was no wind on the ground and all that...
They took the Pres. out of the tailgate. Granted they still hit his head but he didn't fall off.
I just would err on the side of safety. And not show substandard video nationwide.
tom

no 92 year old should be on the step of the 182 for thier first solo.

Can you elaborate as to why you have that opinion?

tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Why there was another person on the step with him I don't know. It looked a little crowded out there. Was it a true S/L or an IAD jump? I'm not very familiar with IAD, but I always seen the JM on the inside of the plane during the student jumps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The better IAD instructors climb out on the strut with their students.
First, keeping a grip on the student's harness allows them to help slow students climb out.
Secondly, keeping their right hand (containing the pilot chute) close to the student minimizes the amount of bridle blowing in the wind ... reducing the chance of a pre-mature deployment tearing the tail off the airplane.
Third, getting "in the student's face" is better for communication.

But why Not an AFF Level 1 ???..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You lost me there!!!!
The last thing this PFF instructor wants to do is hang onto some stiff old guy who refuses to arch.
Besides, the normal progression at Pitt Meadows involves a tandem, then one or two IAD jumps, then 5 assisted freefalls.
There is no way I going to attempt freefall with a student until he shows me a decent arch and a decent landing on an IAD jump.