barroch

Snobby UK Vibe

My advice to any jumper returning to England after not being able to complete their AFF or consilidation jumps would be
to go to a JSPC center instead of a BPA center, generally cheaper an less bullshit.

Gone fishing

Please do not make sweeping generalisations about british dropzones. I could make some sweeping generalisations about the french but I know better. Please show the same consideration.

Warwick University Skydiving Club

>Please do not make sweeping generalisations about British drop zones. I could make some sweeping generalisations about the French but I know better. Please show the same consideration.<

My answer was my opinion not a sweeping generalisation.

In my time I have jumped at most British drop zones BPA and JSPC
Apart from a drop zone in the north of England and a small DZ in the southwest
(which is now closed) I found the rest to be unfriendly places if you were not one
of their regular jumpers, (read that to mean clicky in the extreme).
I remember going to a DZ in the south of England (near Canterbury) to be measured for a new jumpsuit an thought I’d make a jump at the same time
But the woman at the manifest was so dam rude to me I left right away
Swearing never to jump at another BPA drop zone.

In my time jumping at JSPC centres I saw quite a few students coming back from other country’s IE: South Africa, Australia, Spain, USA and NZ with just the basic AFF (7 jumps at that time). As long as it hadn’t been to long since their last jump all that was required were the conversion jumps an a hop an pop to get signed off

With two years in the sport you are still on your honeymoon, Lets see what you have to say after twenty

Gone fishing

>So you went to just about the least professional dz in the country had a shitty experience there (not that uncommon) and use that as an example to slag off all other dzs in the country?! <

I don’t recall slaging of all other Dz’s, I said I found them very clicky apart from Headcorn (you obviously know which one I was talking about) which was down right unsociable. I have fond memories of Langar back in the late 80’s
Also Eaglescott where Dave tylecot would bend over backwards to help anyone
My home Dz was Netheravon JSPC where I never encounterd problems ever
As I do now do not live in England but still talk to English jumpers, it is a bit of a mixed bag, Some say they will not jump in England an save their money to jump in Belgium or Spain, Some only jump at boogies, an some won’t jump at JSPC centres
As they don’t like the military attitude.

Returning to the original thread I agree British Dz’s can be snobbish

Now I’m wondering why someone from Guilford would go all the way to Langar to jump when within an hour’s drive you have at least three Dz’s, Nethers, Weston and Dunkers

Gone fishing

it's the same with everything man, some people are cool, others assholes, same with DZs. my home DZ ni the UK is the most laid back one i've ever jumped at anywhere, sound people, really chilled out atmosphere and they'd put up a lett for five of you if you want to jump. i've been to one DZ in particular, in the UK, where it was pretty much made clear that with 30/40 jumps i was wasting everyone's time. so i've not been back there. but it's pretty harsh to say all UK DZs are snobby dude.

just thought i'd thow that in there

Id say my DZ is pretty friendly (Peterlee) and pretty good at accepting RAPS students from any DZs. We had a guy who'd done a few S/L in Canada and on to DPs, and he just continued.

But DONT come here if you're part way through AFF. Im sure my DZO would be annoyed if he read this, but because it is hard for him to get AFFIs he charges an "AFF membership" for a start of £100 if you didnt train with him.

For part way through AFF Id go to Hibaldstow. They've been fine with everyone I know thats been there, especially during the week. AFAIK they've just let students do a check out jump and then continue from wherever they were at, without any joining fees, just the cost price of that normal jump. Just make sure you ring in advance to make sure theres going to be people and/or a pilot there. My friends have turned up after a 2 hr drive only to find they couldnt get a pilot in.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Now I’m wondering why someone from Guilford would go all the way to Langar to jump when within an hour’s drive you have at least three Dz’s, Nethers, Weston and Dunkers

You forgot Hinton which is very close to Weston

Because Langar is a great DZ.

We lived in Guildford, and after a few weekends at a couple other DZs (not all the ones you mentioned, but 2 of those), we made Langar our home.

YMMV of it has for others who moved out of Langar because they didnt like it, but for us, it was awsome. We had about 6 or 7 hundred jumps when we went there, so my no means of skygod status ;), but found it a great place to do high quality fun RW.
Remster

Ooops I did forget Hinton, Sorry very nice Dz. I forgot Thruxton as well but as Helicopter rotors an skydivers dont mix or rather did mix
it closed down[:/]

Now this is'nt directed at you personally Ernguru, but from my experience British Dz's are clicky (spelt cliquey)

Now lets take a step back an look at British dropzones, A newbie arrives with low jump numbers, how many of you actually
talk to him/her to find out his experience level an get him invited on a jump. Not many, most of you are wraped up in your own little
clique, you would even realise a stranger had arrived.
Now you go off to the States, arrive at the Dz, the Dzo checks your docs you sign the waiver an the Dzo or an instructor
says lets find you a group to jump with. Or the people who went to Empuria in the early 90's greeted by Maria an asked straight away
"you wanna make a jump"an whammo you were in a group. No in my memories of England this did'nt happen (very often)
If your not an ice breaker you'll stay out in the cold. The British are standoffish to stangers it's in their nature

So why not the next time you're at the Dz look around, forgett your group for a few minutes an see if some one looks lost
make the effort to talk to him/her an see if you can fix up a jump. Put a little back into the sport.

Gone fishing

Poor quality of service is pretty much a fact of life in the UK not just restricted to dzs.

For dropzones this is compunded by the fact that experienced jumpers are not a major source of income to the dropzone, if the most regulars left and they just had tandems and students then they could make pretty much the same income. Fortunately I don't think that dz owners are in it just for the money (it isn't that profitable)

Some places make more effort than others (Hib by reputation, Langar by experience, I'm sure others come into this list as well so don't be offended by not listing any specific dz)

Dzs are by nature cliquey, the same people turn up week in week out and new faces take a while to settle in. Destination dropzones, Ampuria, zhills, eloy etc regularly get lots of new jumpers arriving for a while so learn how to cater for those jumpers. They also get the volume of jumpers to make enough money to warrant putting systems in place to handle strangers arriving.

As to why Langar, I was looking for a new dz as mine was shutting down. I went to a few, had some difficulties with them (~50 jumps and just converted onto throwaways) and I arrived at Langar and they quickly got me jumping. For many years they had the best collection of planes that allowed you to jump well (that gap has closed now as most dzs have turbines but they still have 2 large turbines which is pretty good)