DOA

A licence, 30 day jump window.

Hi,
After building myself up I found out yesterday one must jump every thirty days to keep current ! Bearing in mind UK weather, work and life commitments (children) this 30 day window (unless i take days off work, which i dont mind) is seriously making me asses the validity of me doing an AFF. I live in the North of england where the weather isnt the best. So I dont see the 30 day window as time enough to do at least one jump in that time.

Opinions PLEASE people, spesh people from the UK.

If I miss the 30 window what are the implications? I dont want to be paying for refresh instruction as well as having to pay an instructor to "confidence" jump with me.

I do plan to progress to b, c and in time progress further. But that takes time, I dont fancy having to do refresh instructor jumps every 50 days or so as well as having to fit jumps in to progress.

Many Thanks
Phil.

-------------------------------------
When I learn new stuff, it pushes the old stuff out of my brain!

I think you should be OK, although you may need to spend lots of time at the DZ. Which DZ are you doing AFF at? Also depends how close to the DZ you live. You dont want to be booking time off work when the weather is crap.

As long as you get your AFF and consols done before the winter, i.e. October time you should be OK, IMHO. Weather tends to be on downward trend in the North from that time of year.
-------------------------------------------------
Woooaaaaaa!!! Woooaaaa!!! I'm gettin' off it!

You may find some of the comments from experienced jumpers in this thread on currency of interest. remember one jump every 30 days is only 12 jumps a year...surely you plan to do more than that?!!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1570869;search_string=currency;#1570869
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

You may find some of the comments from experienced jumpers in this thread on currency of interest. remember one jump every 30 days is only 12 jumps a year...surely you plan to do more than that?!!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1570869;search_string=currency;#1570869

I'd love to do as many jumps as possible whenever I can. But realistically there are only a max of 8 days in a month (weekends) that I'll have the oppertunity to jump ..... ALL weather dependant after all this is the UK. Add that with time with the children .....

My ideal was to do the AFF/consol and go on freefall holidays once or 2wice a year along with whenever I can fit a jump in on my local DZ.

England sucks. I'm buying up all the outboard motors I can get my hands on and sailing this Island further to the equator !

Phil.

-------------------------------------
When I learn new stuff, it pushes the old stuff out of my brain!

I think you're getting confuddled between USPA (american) regs and BPA (UK) regs.

Remember the majority of people posting here are Yanks and they often completely miss the concept of a world beyond their boarders.

Even when jurisdiction is specified you usually find that you get a lot of answers based on their regs. Its no surprise as there are more jumps in the US each year than the rest of the world combined and after all, what one organization implements as a safety concern has to be at least of interest to other organizations.

That said - I'm not sure the BPA has a 1 month currency issue. Look to the BPA ops manual here: http://www.bpa.org.uk/opman.htm if in doubt as it's the horses mouth.

Section 5.11 details layoffs:

Where a Student or an FAI 'A' certificate (Red) parachutist has had a lay-off of two months or more, approval of the CCI must be obtained as to the type of descent to be made next.

So you're looking at a minimum of 1 jump within the last 2 months to be legal. Yes un-currency may effect safety over and above that legal minimum... but you will be legal. Going over that legal maximum will generally mean an instructor going over your reserve drills with you and talking through a dive plan before having you go off to do a sensible solo. Note I say generally as things will change from place to place, how long your lay off is, how experianced you are, how heads up you appear and how much of an attitude you give.

I really wouldn't concern yourself about this issue. It's not as difficult as it may seem to keep current.

Remember the majority of people posting here are Yanks and they often completely miss the concept of a world beyond their boarders.

I'm thinking rude thoughts at you ;)

Love,

Yank

BTW. its not 30 days in the USA for an A license.

Per USPA recommendations

USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within--
1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups
2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised freefall
__

My mighty steed

Although I agree ;), bit harsh isnt it?
-------------------------------------------------
Woooaaaaaa!!! Woooaaaa!!! I'm gettin' off it!

Yeah probably. Luckily I live outside your borders :P:D

I just find it amusing how many threads start here with a note of where the jumper is - Malay, UK, Germany, Spain, South Africa etc etc and all they get back is a load of quotes form the SIM or the FAA regs. Funny really.

While often helpful to gauge the relative safety of the topic in question... it generally does absolutely nothing to answer the question posed.

I mean nothing derogatory by it... but it is an honest observation. :)

FACT: 90% of americans dont know where Germany is on a map.

Nice! An authority on what Americans dont know.

I think I will start posting a lot of unsubstantiated claims about folks from Europe. That will be fun.

By the way, you are incorrect.
__

My mighty steed

BTW. its not 30 days in the USA for an A license.

Per USPA recommendations

USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within--
1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups
2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised freefall

Think you missed his first point. He's talking about student status (AFF) at this time. And yes, it's a 30 day maximum between -student- jumps here before a refresher is required. IMO, safety is worth this measure.

And to DOA, why don't you train with the static line method? It wouldn't matter if it's a cloudy day, then! :) (psst: Alot of Brits do this...B|)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

and that Thames barrier jobbie aint no flood defense neither - it's a giant motor we're gonna use just as soon as we get clear of Ireland.

Please please bring us south too!!!

BTW regarding weather there is a very good foecast site at
www.metcheck.com
aswellas wind speeds and direction it gives cloud cover and cloud base heights

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

FACT: 90% of americans dont know where Germany is on a map.

FACT: 100% of all U.S. Soldiers DO;)