davvy

newbie(ish) needs some advice after dislocation!

Hey, i've only recently got my cat 8 in January, but on the same day I dislocated my shoulder and have been out of action since. Now I really want to get back up in the air but all the doctors and physios are really negative and say its too dangerous without surgery (which i'm told i don't relly need). I DO NOT want to give up, and wanted some advice from some peops who know what they're taking about - anyone dislocated shoulders/something in freefall? - how do i get to be allowed back up there?

ta muchly!

There are several recent threads covering this very subject, but here's my story in a nutshell: I dislocated my left shoulder (1st time dislocation) exiting a Skyvan on Dec. 26th. I decided to try and rehab it rather than surgery. Went to 14 PT visits, and worked out regularly trying to build it back up. Bought a shoulder stabilizing brace, and started jumping again about 2-1/2 months after the injury. I started out slow (belly only, arms close to body), and worked back up to freeflying. My sitfly is now better than it ever was, and I've had no problems at all (knock on wood). I've got over 50 jumps on it so far, and I will continue to wear the brace into the forseeable future. Please note: THIS IS MY STORY ONLY, ANYTHING I SAY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU! Good luck with it.

Ok, there are quite a few threads on this already. but im gonna give it to you straight.

You do not need the surgery if you intend on living what most consider a "Normal" life. Make it clear to your doctors what YOU want to do. Not what general Population says YOU should do.

I am going in for Surg one week from today, I have a torn rotator cuff and a Laberal tear. See Here

Anyway, I told the doc exactly what I plan on doing and what I expect my shoulder to do...and the only way to make sure that I do not do any further damage or actually have a full on Dislocation was surgery.

If the doc you are seeing is not sports med...get a second opinion.

my .02 ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Yup, do a search. ;) But I'll tell you my story anyway, too. :P

Here's my shoulder history:

Sept. 29, 2002 - Nearly perfect skydive on my AFF Level 3. Came into land, flared, and my right shoulder popped right out with my arms down to my crotch at full extension. Could've stood up the landing if it hadn't been for the excruciating pain and the big fat student canopy dragging me back in 15-16mph winds. :D I did not fall and reach out my arm to try and catch myself.

May 16, 2004 - Flying a similar student canopy, came into land, started the flare too low, buried the toggles and my shoulder came out again. Exact same motion as the first dislocation. Proceeded to cry, not because of the pain, but because I knew I'd be out for the whole season.

June 2004 - Started 6-8 weeks of physical therapy. Didn't help with much except for getting me stronger before I decided to go with surgery. If my sport of choice were competitive knitting, I wouldn't have needed surgery. But dammit, I want to skydive without having the fear of my shoulder popping out in freefall or on landing.

October 22, 2004 - Arthroscopic surgery to stabilize the shoulder. Fixed a substantial labral tear and tightened up rotator cuff. Mmm, painkillers.

Some six, almost seven months later, I'm almost good to go skydiving again after following my Dr's instructions and being very diligent in my post-op physical therapy. All in all--it was a very long and painful process, but so worth it. My shoulder has never felt this tight and stable in my life.

Have you gotten an MRI, yet?

Edited to add: Keep in mind that shoulder injuries can be very different from person to person. YMMV on physical therapy, recovery times, etc.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Hi

This is just a question what is worse a dislocation or separation the reason i ask is i separated my shoulder(stage 3) a year ago in Jan I was back skydiving in the end of march of the same year. I went to PT did what the doc said and have had no problems Reading this thread makes me wonder if it will pop out again or rip

Thanks any info would be great
Eric W Blair
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)