kcjumpersgirl

For those who progressed on S/L

took me 28 jumps,

i think the system works a bit differently in the UK though, the absolute minimum you can get a licence in is 18, but some DZ's include a few more jumps on short delays, and my DZ included an extra 15 sec delay to transition onto altimeter.

:DYou and me both baby!

At one point my jumpmasters were going to draw straws to figure out who was going to tell me to take up bowling.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

We have a student now who started jumping a year ahead of me and now has roughly 65 jumps and still has problems getting/staying stable. He has even been to the wind tunnel and still can't get past staying stable. The good thing is that he is very persistant and refuses to give up, but on the other hand that can be bad in this sport also.

I had 38 jumps when I did my check dive. That was after I went to the Mardi Gras boogie and was turned loose there to do whatever I wanted. I just could'nt find either of the instructors at the time with time to take me up until after that. Long story but our S&TA went with me to the boogie and we did the check dive there at the end of the boogie.

I got off student status after 35 or 37 jumps back in 1975. Think it was August, so that was over about 16 months.

In those days nobody was hung up over licenses, so once you were off you could do just about anything the DZO would allow. I skipped by the A and B licenses and got my C in 1977. Didn't get my D until 1980, when the National Park Service anounced they would issue permits for El Capitan, but only to D license holders. There was a huge flood of D applications at USPA. I was lucky to get mine quickly and get one of the permits.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

First S/L jump was in 1975. First freefall was jump #6, the minimum required at the time, and that was required to be on the same day as my previous S/L with DRCP. Did fine until the 10-second delays came, then lots of stability problems. (Mostly I stiffened up & didn't "relax".) Seemed like I was stuck on 5 & 10 second delays forever. There really wasn't much coaching back then, either, just "Go back up & do it again, and try to relax this time." It was discouraging for a while, but it eventually clicked -- I learned how to "relax" in an arch and I got off student status somewhere between jumps 35 & 40.

Looking back, I think I would have benfited from AFF-type jumps once I got off the S/L. I still think S/L is good for at least the first 1 or 2 jumps to get past the worst of the door fear & sensory overload. After that, had AFF-type jumps been available back then, the longer freefalls accompanied by an in-flight instructor would have been just the thing to get me (and lots of other students) squared away in freeefall much sooner than it took by doing it alone, bit by bit.

cleared student training on 14th jump. had 2 reserve rides during training. pre-second was due to pulling my cutaway handle on my pre-second prcp jump. second reserve was due to a streamer caused by deployment while on my back. it took me six months to return to student training after that incident.