Kimblair13

1st Tandem Chop...

Had my first tandem cutaway yesterday.B| 71st tandem. New packer packed a step-thru. It was pretty sweet. Not as scary or bad as I was expecting. Held on to all the handles and stood up the landing.:D My student didn't even realized what had happened until I told him.

Had my first tandem cutaway yesterday.B| 71st tandem. New packer packed a step-thru.

I am curious as to if the stepthrough was above the risers? Also what is the main and I am guessing it was not flat packed???

Other then that, I am glad you got through the 1st Tandem Chop. I was told years ago that "if you do tandems it is not a question of ->if<- but ->when<- you get a chop......."

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If there is anything to be learned from this tandem malfunction, it is that it is completely inexcusable to pack a parachute in that condition. Things like this are one of the important reasons that I pack my own tandem, every jump, no exceptions. A mistake as big as this should not be taken lightly; at the very least the packer should be put on a probationary status and every step of the next several pack jobs must be carefully supervised by a rigger. Of course this is already the law, but when I say supervised I mean the rigger watching every second of the pack jobs for at least the next ten or so.

I've heard all the excuses in the book when this sort of thing occurs, and they go something like this..."We were slammed with tandems today, I had to get two tandem rigs packed on a 15 minute call, one of my other customers was pushing me to get him on the next load," etc. etc. There simply is no valid reason this type of thing should happen. It is apparent to me that this packer needs further training in procedures so that this won't happen again. I've even known "professional" packers that can't even identify what's wrong with the picture when they walk up a line check that isn't correct! Proper main canopy maintenance and packing are in serious need of improvement at most dz's. The regulations are in place that would help eliminate this type of problem, but those FAR's need to be enforced.

I agree 100 percent with everything Beezy said in his post. It has always fascinated me how nonchalant people are about taking reserve rides caused by shitty, rushed, "professional" packers. One of my best friends, Rob St.John told me he had TWELVE tandem reserve rides one year (at Skydive Las Vegas). I was incredulous.

Chuck

I agree 100 percent with everything Beezy said in his post. It has always fascinated me how nonchalant people are about taking reserve rides caused by shitty, rushed, "professional" packers. One of my best friends, Rob St.John told me he had TWELVE tandem reserve rides one year (at Skydive Las Vegas). I was incredulous.

Chuck

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So much for Michael Hawk's bragging about what a safety nazi he was!
Hah!
Hah!
... guess all those signed packing records and surveillance cameras kept Hawk's packers on the straight and narrow ....
Hah!
Hah!

We have seen similar trends at Pitt Meadows (averaging 1 mal per 1,000 tandem jumps) on really hot, busy days, packers get stressed and quality suffers. Then it becomes a management problem because they were to cheap, short-sighted, etc. to hire additional packers for the busiest days.

A "step through" is when the jumpers body and container go through the lines, meaning that the container or canopy must be passed back through the lines to get the canopy oriented correctly and ready to pack again. It usually happens (with tandems anyway) when on a no-wind day the canopy falls on top of the tandem pair as they are still seated as they land.

sorry kimmie but i've gots to mention it, kim just had another chop on her sport rig which makes 2 chops in 7 jumps. these things come in 3's anybody wanna place bets on when the 3rd is coming? ;)
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down