MarEll

Couple of newbie questions :)

Okay new to the forums and to skydiving, but loving both so far :)
Could someone give me a (general) total figure of what I would need to spend between now and getting to a point where I would just need to buy a cheap ticket to do a skydive. I.e. All the gear I would need and the total cost of the AFF course.
I know this will vary a bit but I'm just after a general figure to work towards.

I've seen on most sites that once you've got you're A liscense its around £20 (I'm in the UK btw) a jump, I presume you'd need your own rig for that??

And finally what DZs in the North West of England would you guys recommend? I'm in Manchester so anywhere near there.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the n00by questions ;)

Cost me about $10,000 in instruction and used equipment, but that was for the wife and I both last year. We jump in the US so I don't have any idea what your looking at there. Now it's $20 a jump each+packing if we're to lazy to do it ourselves. It has been worth every penny, hands down no question about it.
James

Back in the spring of this year, there was a bunch of students from UWE going through AFF in DeLand, because even with airfare the total cost of getting an A licence here was cheaper than in the UK.

I figure you could do AFF and get good used equipment for about 6000 plus airfare and lodging.

Cheers

$6000?? Thats great! I mean I want to hear from someone from the UK first to confirm but I think I've seen figures over the £10k mark just for the course and a few grand for used equipment here. If $6k is accurate then I'm sold.

Thank you both for your replies btw :)

Bear in mind that the UK has just introduced a new canopy handling training system, part of which (the CH1 grade) is a requirement for an A licence. If you are considering going overseas for AFF it is well worth discussing your plans with the CCI at the UK drop zone you plan to return to in advance of booking anything. This will ensure your bases are covered when you return and allow you to be integrated into the UK system without difficulty.

You can use the Drop zone locator at http://www.bpa.org.uk/dropzone/dzone.htm to find a DZ near you, I believe Cark (weekends only) and Black Knights (7 days May-Sep and weekdays only the rest of the year) are the nearest to Manchester. Haven't been to either but I have heard good things about both.

I believe the going rate in the UK for an AFF course is around £1200 - £1300, plus BPA membership (£115) and of course any rejumps required which depend on how you pick things up and whether you need to repeat levels with two instructors or one. Following completion of the 8 AFF levels the UK system requires you to complete 10 consolidation jumps, pricing may vary but allow another few hundred pounds.

Whether or not you go abroad it's best to try and commit to do the AFF in as short a timespan as possible as currency will vastly reduce the likelihood of needing to repeat levels.

Kit wise it varies a lot with what you want, I bought my first kit for £1300 second hand and it's still going strong 100 jumps later and hasn't dropped a lot in value. Or you could spend a lot of money on brand new gear - it's your call.

Hope that helps,

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

I just paid around 3500 for a good used rig. That's about average. AFF will run you 1200-1400, if you pass all the levels the first time. That leaves you with over grand to blow on additional jumps, tunnel time, and BEER! ;)

Aff in Slovakia is 1210 euro about 780 pounds sterling accommodation is as cheap as 3.50 euro per night jump tickets are only 16.50 euro check it out on
http://www.slovakairboogie.sk/
we are going on august 19th
oh yea last year beer was only 40c per pint so real cheep to do your first anythingB|

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

In New York it cost me about 2000 USD total for the AFF. I pieced my rig together thanks to the classifieds and it only cost 2400 USD total. And i'm not talking about a "just getting by rig" either. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Hope this helps.

How about $750 for AFF in Russia? That's what it cost me. AFF prices have since gone up a bit, expect it to run in the $1000-1100 range if you don't repeat jumps, and $12 a jump once you are done (gear rental from $7 to $9, packjob about $3). Instructors and packers are quite up to par.

Those figures look much more appealing...10k? where did I get that from! lol

Well at those prices I may as well do it here (hell I could always just go to the US for a holiday anyway :)
Well I'm going to do a tandem first (low on funds >:() this year then the AFF next year (if I like it...which I'm sure I will!). Plus I could just hire gear for a few jumps until I can buy my own.

A tandem with a DVD at BKPC comes to £280 and at NWPC it comes to £305 (not sure if that includes BPA membership tho, I've emailed them).

Any of you go to either of these DZs? Would prefer to go to one with a lot of forum members on so I can get to know you all on here then bump into you at the DZ B|

Tandem jumps will include provisional BPA membership in the price, this is valid for Tandem and Static Line jumps up to a year from the date of issue. As AFF involves solo freefall (eg not attached to anyone) from the first jump you will be required to take out full BPA membership, some places include it others charge it separate.

If you do your AFF within a year of the Tandem you will be able to convert your Provisional membership to Full Membership, this is a little cheaper than taking out full membership brand new (only around £20 or so, but hey it's a jump).

Kit hire varies a lot from place to place but it's usually not too bad, at the club I jump at it's charged at £15 a jump with £10 back if you pack it yourself : so if you get your packing certificate it only works out at a fiver a jump extra, not too painful in the short term till you're ready to buy.

If you don't get replies from BKPC/NWPC jumpers on here, try uk.rec.skydiving. Or put BKPC/NWPC in a post title on here for a higher chance of someone from there spotting it.

Best,
Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

It costs a shit load of money here is my breakdown.

AFF course $1300

Flunking AFF dive #3 $259.00

Jumps 8 through 25 with rental $64

Coaching jumps $104.00 each (five times)

New rig $5600

Jumps 28 to 32 $47each with rental

Did they see a sucker coming or what.
Skydiving kicks ass but it costs cash to keep you going....:ph34r:
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Jumps 8 through 25 with rental $64

Jumps 28 to 32 $47each with rental

Why did it go down after student status?

Still a tad high - I once paid $50 for a jump and $30 rental, but usually 40 or 45.

Probable because I fixed the AC at the DZ for free and helped clean the place a few times so DZO said he would cut me a break until my new rig arrives.
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

hi...im from nottingham so i jump at langar (www.bpslangar.co.uk), really lucky to have a DZ so close to home lol.

aff cost me 1450 quid , the 2 levels i had to repeat cost mine and my instructors jump ticket (2 tickets = 38 quid).

the 10 consols u have to do cost 25 pound each (with free kit rental!!) the kit rental is 10 and if u can pack urself, a 4 pound refund

the jump tickets now cost 19 pound + 10 pound kit rental

have fun.........
-------------------------------------------------------

if you wanna see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain