JohnRich

Flag Jump with a Bird

Here is a phlag photo (flag foto) of me from Independence Day, which I just got my hands on. You may get a kick out of this one.

This photo is kind of neat, and is just pure happenstance. Notice the dark object to the left of the bottom edge of the flag? It's a bird who just happened to be flying by! Neither I nor the cameraman knew he was there, until he got the digital photos downloaded, and noticed that black splotch over there.

That's a great shot. I wonder what that bird was thinking???

No shit:P

A bee joined us once on the ride to altitude and got out when we did... Made me think that most bugs don't skydive or go up that high... Can you imagine what he told his wuffo friends, "No shit, there I was..."

;)

So I guess the question is: WHo has the right of way? Is it you.beause of the FAA rules (powered vs. unpowered?

Or is it the bird, because he's faster, can get out of the way? Hmmmmmmm.

If you had the right of way, he should have paused until you flew by...btw, I noticed he (the bird) didn't salute!

(Nice photo, congrats on a successful jump!)
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

So I guess the question is: WHo has the right of way? Is it you.beause of the FAA rules (powered vs. unpowered? Or is it the bird, because he's faster, can get out of the way? mmmmmmm.

Cool question. I was on final approach, into the wind, at about 100 feet altitude. So the bird was flying crosswind across the line of flight over the landing area - a serious breach of etiquette and safety. I think the S&TA should ground the bird!

I think the S&TA should ground the bird!

That's just the beginning of the bird's problems. ATC called and they want to have a word with him
about his transponder. Apparently he only squawks when he feels like it...
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I give up, what is weird?

It looks as if the two are way too close passing by each other. I hope there was no weight on the end of a long line of the upper flag.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Here's a demo pic that's a bit "weird"

The first thing I noticed is that there's a dark spot at the trailing edge of the lower canopy, where
the blue and white cells join. Is that the weight for the US flag?

I also don't see a pilot chute on the lower canopy. There is a smaller black dot at the trailing edge
of the lower canopy in the center of the white cells, which might have something to do with it.

The lower skydiver has his/her back to the camera. I think the upper skydiver is flying towards
the camera.

The upper right corner of the POW/MIA flag might be caugt in a weight line, or it might just be
flapping in the breeze.

The lower left corner of the US flag seems to be trailing back towards the lower skydiver, which
makes me think it is somehow attached to him/her (on purpose or not.)

Am I close?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I think the weight from the US flag is caught in the lower canopy, and the upper pilot is flying toward the camera attempting to it from the lower canopy. That would make the photo quite timely, as things would have looked quite different just a few secs on either side of the pic. B|:o

Staying with the bird motif, I'll hazard a guess that there is a bird entangled with the upper right corner of the lower canopy. ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

If you had the right of way, he should have paused until you flew by...btw, I noticed he (the bird) didn't salute!

I wouldn't have saluted either, are you certrain the bird was native to the USA, it may werll not owe allegance to that flag :P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It is a 'timely' photo...but it looks worse than it is.

First~ there are no weights hanging below the flags, we weight them different than most other demo teams. There isn't an entanglement of any kind in the pic.

The top jumper just did a stall turn, facing him 180 degrees from his direction of flight a second before. The lower jumper is just starting his stall turn, notice he's in the brakes...

It's actually planned and practiced, a kind of flag formation flying thing.

The picture just looks scary with the jumper coming back at his flag like that.:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

On several occasions I've been under a tandem and had a hawk fly by and double back to check us out. Smaller birds also.

Yep, hawks are common - they seem to hang out at around 1,000 feet, ideal to whizz by them under canopy. Sometimes I've pulled into a thermal behind them, and it's fun to watch them turn their little heads around to keep an eye on me and make sure I'm not gaining on them...

I remembered the bird thing this weekend when I ended up doing some CReW with a bird... He was just flying around when he decided to join me. Very cool, he followed right of my right side for about 500 feet or so, turning when I did. He broke off on landing and went his own way.