triton

House Fire!

I had a house fire recently. My gear was in a suitcase in a closet upstairs where there was heat from the fire. There isn't any visible damage to the gear except that there is some soot on the suitcase itself. I don't think I want to take a chance jumping it. The insurance adjustor isn't sure he wants to replace it saying he wants to do a little research on the subject first. Any suggestions?

Send it to the manufacturer for a formal inspection and provide written documentation to the insurance company (such as results of said inspection) that it is/is not airworthy and why plus replacement costs if applicable.

As someone who worked in the Property/Casualty industry for 4 years....Yes, do this.

Absolutely send it to the manufacturer as previously suggested. Even though it was in a case it could have still been exposed to extreme temperatures. I have been in many residential fires with all my fancy gear and said "DAMN IT"S REALLY HOT IN HERE"

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

My company cleans up after fires every once in a while... That and sewage backups, floods, hazmat deaths and other stuff I say "sure no problem" to.:S

The one today... An ironing board went up in an alteration shop. In the restroom 100' away it was hot enough for the screws in the drywall to heat up enough to bubble the paint and deposit smoke crud where they were under the drywall mud. I could see each screw as a black dot, but the drywall between looked brand new... The metal rack 20 feet away got hot enough to melt itself into the VCT floor.... But the drywall directly behind the fire and the ceiling tiles directly above it showed no more signs of a fire than any other part of the room. If I had not seen the ironing board I would have not been able to find the source. Totally random, huh...

I guess what I am saying... If an ironing board (and 50 garments) is enough to superheat the walls in a store, but leave the ceiling untouched, I would wonder about your rig... Cypres batteries leaking? Melting of lines... Etc...

So, perhaps you should let the manufacture know the scope of the fire so they can cross reference the materials to see where each one gets damaged??? Your fire department should be able to help you do some math. A small kitchen fire likely was no hotter than a car outside with closed windows on a summer day... A fire that guts a room to the studs could be real hot. Were you home? What kind of fire? How hot did it get?

Send it to the manufacturer for a formal inspection and provide written documentation to the insurance company (such as results of said inspection) that it is/is not airworthy and why plus replacement costs if applicable.

As someone who worked in the Property/Casualty industry for 4 years....Yes, do this.

I agree with this, too. One caveat, though, re: "replacement cost": read your policy carefully, or have someone knowledgable (an insurance professional or attorney) do so. Check whether you're insured for "replacement value" (which gets you more money) or "depreciated value" (which gets you less money). Can sometimes be a BIG difference.

I agree with this, too. One caveat, though, re: "replacement cost": read your policy carefully, or have someone knowledgable (an insurance professional or attorney) do so. Check whether you're insured for "replacement value" (which gets you more money) or "depreciated value" (which gets you less money). Can sometimes be a BIG difference.

I had a similar situation in college...a 'friendly' rigger
did an evaul. and the gear was replaced.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~