GoRdOn8619

small chute??

well i did my first jump today.. and let me just say it was AMAZING... the best feeling ever.. I am for sure going to do the aff classes and do it over and over again for as long as i live.. because its like no other. it was truley amazing i dont know how many times i need to say it to myself.. but i cant stop. what an awesome sport. got me hooked for sure

Yes, the drogue is to slow down your freefall speed... two bodies strapped together fall faster than one.

That's what they led you to believe...
Actually the drogue is the freefall equivalent of crutches. Maybe you didn't notice but a lot of these tandem"masters" are in fact elderly ("has been") skydivers who have trouble remaining stable in freefall. With the drogue trailing behind them they manage to keep the whole thing in a "belly to earth" configuration... :P

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Hey Liemberg,

Show some respect for your elders.
I am even older and grumpier than you!
... been jumping for 29 years now.
I started doing tandems - with Skydive Kangaroo in 1986 - with a drogue-less Vector 1.
I can still fall stable without a drogue.
... just prefer not to risk tearing a reserve during a high-speed deployment.
Back in the 1990s I tried deploying a Strong 425 reserve at terminal and did not much enjoy it. Can you picture seeing stars at high noon?

I am even older and grumpier than you!
I can still fall stable without a drogue.

Next thing you are going to tell me that you can breath through your skin... :P

Back in the 1990s I tried deploying a Strong 425 reserve at terminal and did not much enjoy it. Can you picture seeing stars at high noon?

Easily... Occasionally I still have exits that don't go as planned ('taking a few more steps without my crutch' i.e. throwing the drogue after 8 or 9 seconds in stead of the usual 3) The jerk that this 'small chute' gives me then is already quite discernible...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...