JoeG

AFF 3 review

I completed AFF 3 this weekend at Skydive the Farm
I found myself much less nervous on this jump than AFF 1 and 2. Actually looking forward to it instead of "why do I do this to myself?" On taxi, I suddenly became MUCH more nervous, and had to close my eyes and do breathing excercises to quell the fear, but after takeoff I felt a lot better.

On climbout I was actually really happy to be getting out of the plane. Did hotel check, exit count, and actually arched fairly well out of the door, watching the plane. Should have started the Circle of Awareness earlier, but was kind of enjoying the "hill".

CoA went well, got the legs out sign, gave positive pressure on my legs.
Did two practice touches instead of one, why? I have no idea.. Couple of toe touches, then at some point realized I was alone...tensed up, and started chipping slightly. My instructors redocked, gave me the arch sign and after I gave a hard arch, let me go again.

I didn't do the best job on heading control, but I stayed close, at least I think..

At 6k I shook my head no, arched hard, and was about to wave off when I got the pull sign, :S Seeing the pull sign freaked me out, and my pull sequence was ugly, gotta really work on that.

Had a nice opening, steered around a small cotton puff cloud and had a wonderful time under canopy. Played with burying a toggle and feeling the acceleration in the turn, :o played with braked turns and how changing the glide angle changed my spot. B|

From there, I manouvered into the landing pattern, started my flare about right (according to instructor) but finished early, then I looked down and thought I was about on the ground and started to step into it. I was actually about 4 feet off and had a PFL (pretty funny landing). :$

I am cleared to 4, but it feels like I need a lot more time being under solo freefall before progressing to turns, maybe I'm just being paranoid. I would appreciate some other peoples thougths on this.

All in all I am really getting addicted to freefall. :P I have transitioned from being scared spitless to being scared but happy, if that makes any sense.

I would love some other peoples thoughts and recommendations and also to thank my instructors from this weekend. You guys did a great job. B|

My plan is to be there bright and early this weekend coming up to knock out 4 & 5, hopefully.

Joe,

First off, congrats on passing your level 3!!!

You sound like me when I was on Level 3 a few weeks ago. "Potato chipping" was something that happened to myself also on that level and it is common. Just remember, for you level 4 and 5, to RELAX and not think about your jump too much. It took me 3x to get past 4 and then 5 was fine. My JM came in front of me during freefall and once he did that, i remained completely stable and still, perfect. Its because i stopped thinking about it and just looked at him and my body naturally just did it.

So when you do it, don't lose your head. I was spinning out of control on my secondtime at level 4 and still had to pull while spinning. It happens, just don't tense up, chin up, arch more and do some toe taps.

You sound like you're doing the right things and theres no reason why you shouldn't pass 4 and 5 with flying colors.

I'm sure there are way more experienced people here to give you advice, but i knew i could relate. Remember, just relax and look straight and actually choose a heading (i used to say i would, but honestly i dont think i ever did). It doesnt take much to start an unintentional turn. If your body is straight and good position, but your heading is looking off the left, you'll start to turn that way....and if you get in a spin, dont panic, don't tense up. Relax, toe tap, arch....otherwise you'll be fine....:P

Good luck man, let us know how it goes....i'll be doing my level 6 and 7 this week too....
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

congratulations on level 3! im on repeat the repeat. :D Im kinda glad im stuck here on 3. cause it gives me more opertunity to do the basics b4 i have to do the turns flips on purpose. Im practicing my ass off so i pass next time! good luck on the next levels.;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Yo Joe! I'm right there with you. Finished L3 10 days ago and I'm ready to go back for 4 & 5. If you're anything like me the level progression continues to introduce new, frightening things and your relationship with the whole thing is ever-changing.

I am sure your instructors are excellent and can be trusted to guide you in the right direction, just as mine can. One thing I have already learned in this VERY short time is that they aren't there to make friends with you... THEY WON'T PASS YOU IF THEY DON'T THINK YOU'RE READY. I had to repeat L2 and on this last jump when they cleared me to L4, I have to admit there was a part of me that questioned that. But, they are the experts... the ones with thousands of jumps and MANY students behind them. They've seen it all. So when they clear you, trust them. I don't think it means everything will always be peachy... this is an unpredictable thing. But what it DOES mean is that they truly believe you're ready for the next set of instructions. No sense second guessing them.

Good luck! ;-)

Thanks for all the kind words!

PSIPIKE02:

Its because i stopped thinking about it and just looked at him and my body naturally just did it.

So when you do it, don't lose your head. I was spinning out of control on my secondtime at level 4 and still had to pull while spinning. It happens, just don't tense up, chin up, arch more and do some toe taps.

I really appreciate hearing your experience and that certainly helps me a lot. Did you get gobs of line twists on that jump?

i'll be doing my level 6 and 7 this week too

Good luck on 6 & 7!!

FREAK ACCIDENT:

b4 i have to do the turns flips on purpose. Im practicing my ass off so i pass next time! good luck on the next levels

I also am scared about doing flips on purpose. I'm like you - practicing like hell to get through each jump. I'm sure you will do fine though - I know it doesn't count for much with me having such low jumps, but it really helps me to write my dive flow down and learn it by heart - pretending the jump is happening. I read something in the 2005 SIM about visualization techniques that has helped me. Its at the beginning of category D of section 4 if you want to look at it.

JULIEBIRD:

I am sure your instructors are excellent and can be trusted to guide you in the right direction, just as mine can. One thing I have already learned in this VERY short time is that they aren't there to make friends with you... THEY WON'T PASS YOU IF THEY DON'T THINK YOU'RE READY.

Thanks so much for this. It really helped me be at ease about looking at jump 4. Good luck on 4 & 5!!

PIA:

Well done! Hope you keep on breezing through!

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Edited for clarity

I also am scared about doing flips on purpose.

I had the same experience, it seems that as soon you learn how to get stable, the next jump they want you to get unstable. I was very scared anticipating those levels. I have to tell the flips, diving exit and tracking are all really fun. I did level 6 & 7 as well as my first solo last weekend. It was the best skydiving experience so far. Everyone is cheering you on and you really gain confidence on those last 2 jumps. The solo was kickass, I didn't know what to do with myself since nothing was expected of me. I just enjoyed the ride, a practice ripcord touch here and there and that's it. Good luck, keep us posted.

I am cleared to 4, but it feels like I need a lot more time being under solo freefall before progressing to turns, maybe I'm just being paranoid. I would appreciate some other peoples thougths on this.

Same with me, I just got done with Cat C 1 JM. Everything went great, then during last seconds of FF I started turning some. When I pulled I got a line twist but got out of it in about 10 seconds. Line twist was pretty fun though. Anyway, my jumpmaster who is pretty strict told me it was one of the best cat c's hes seen but I'm still thinking about my cat D.

Can't wait till I jump by myself!

I really appreciate hearing your experience and that certainly helps me a lot. Did you get gobs of line twists on that jump?

No problem man, any way i can help fellow skydivers :P

And actually, you would think I would have huge amounts of line twists, maybe i did, but when i looked up there were none......it was open, stable, big, square and controllable....it was amazing, i was pissed but happy.... if that makes sense
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

it was amazing, i was pissed but happy.... if that makes sense

Perfect sense. As my canopy opened this weekend after my horrible pull sequence I was like "DAMMIT!!"...then...ooooh Im under canopy...sweet! Opened on heading and soft, did my 3 S's and I was good to go. Still pissed about my bad pull, but all in all a good skydive and I will learn from it!

Just relax, your instructors will tell you everything you need to know. The flips will get you used to instability, which is important. My first 5 exits were good, but my AFF-6 jump I was outside all by myself with my instructor diving out after me. I folded up and went ass over tea kettle for about 5 seconds. Scared the crap out of me.

After that, I just wanted to always be stable. Belly to earth, rock solid. The front flips and back flips aren't to earn style points, they get you used to being unstable and in all sorts of different body positions.

Believe it or not, you really get used to it fairly quickly, and it gets to be fun. That helps with the door anxiety, too, since no matter how unstable your exit is, you have the confidence to get stable right away, even still on the hill.

Have fun!! I did it, so can you!!

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman