dgskydive

Skydiving without an Altimeter

I have been gone a few days.

Hmmm. What's "new cool"? Oh I know: hooking yourself into the ground and breaking your femur. Yeah, that's the latest fad to be cool.

Are you saying that people that break their femurs are not wearing altimeters? FTR I just read the last few post and this may be way off base.
Dom

I have my visual on my leg strap, I only use it under canopy, I've got my audible for freefall.

Black Death waiting to happen. You should go thank God or Buddah or whoever that you are still alive. Or at least that you stillhave all your toes!!!!!!

I jumped a round main and belly reserve static line today, I hate that shit:(

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

If you are judging/timing your HP landing based on your altimeter you could be making a huge error for a few reasons.

1. Density altitude changes,
2. Temperature changes,
3. Personal weight changes,
etc.

When I Perform a hook turn I come in at aroind X altitude and use my eyes and ears to judge how my rotation is coming along, based on this I adjust riser pressure to keep the dive going or back off. I am not a pro, so maybe im am talking out of my ass, but that makes sense to me.

BTW I havent used an altimeter in 600ish jumps. in 4.5 years, cant seem to find it.

Are you saying that people that break their femurs are not wearing altimeters? FTR I just read the last few post and this may be way off base.

Yes, that is exactly what I said.

Well that is silly. Just not true. Show me one report or one person that will say the reason they broke there femur is because they where not wearing an altimeter. Just one is all I ask.

Granted they obvioulsy were to low to turn, but to say they didn't have an altimeter? Where do you get that from?

Like the poster above me said. Using an alti to start your turns can be a very bad thing. Sure it can be a good reference, but Analog altimeters are not very accurate bleow 1000 ft. and can stick.
Dom

Using an alti to start your turns can be a very bad thing. Sure it can be a good reference, but Analog altimeters are not very accurate bleow 1000 ft. and can stick.

Digital altimeters are just the tool needed for me to perform high-speed canopy swoops. I wouldn't do a hook turn without one! Yeehaw!

Well that is silly. Just not true. Show me one report or one person that will say the reason they broke there femur is because they where not wearing an altimeter. Just one is all I ask.

???????????

Digital altimeters are just the tool needed for me to perform high-speed canopy swoops. I wouldn't do a hook turn without one! Yeehaw!

Do you do hook turns?
Dom

Hmmm. What's "new cool"? Oh I know: hooking yourself into the ground and breaking your femur. Yeah, that's the latest fad to be cool.

I wasn't wearing an altimeter when I broke my femur... of course, I was sea-doing at the time. :P

Actually Dom, I think he was just trying to say he thinks you're really cool for not jumping one. I think you are too.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Do you do hook turns?

But of course. Everyone who is cool does them. And I'm very cool.

If I don't trust the altitude reading on my altimeter, that's okay. I've still got eyeballs for determining altitude. And my eyeballs are accurate to within 5 feet at hook turn altitudes. Nothing can go wrong with an altimeter backed-up by eyeballs. Yeehaw!